Clad K390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FK

Re: Clad K390

Post by FK »

Yes, a very expensive custom forged,,, one at a time laminated blade.
Beautiful knife,,,, most likely very high cost.
Not a production Spyderco application.

Regards,
FK
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like patina, but how about laminating only the tang (pivot and ricasso area) and leaving the blade naked?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

kobold wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:17 am
I like patina, but how about laminating only the tang (pivot and ricasso area) and leaving the blade naked?
That's the main area of concern for me personally. Basically the area you cannot easily inspect. I could only guess that would be difficult only laminating a section though.

I do like the patina on my K390 Endela. I also like scratches on the blade and worn pocket clips too. I also, think the patina on the non-laminated portion of the blade looks great. I have a kitchen knife like that, and I definitely want to get a folder in the future that is laminated. I think the only model currently available in the plus 3" size is the Caly 3.5 with ZDP-189.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

I wonder if using a cold zinc coating on the tang would do the trick? So long as surface prep is good and the coating is thin, I imagine this would work just fine. Probably would work better in linerless FRN versions than in those with liners.

Galvanic corrosion: Zinc is higher on the galvanic corrosion scale than just about anything, which means that it will corrode first, preferentially to the steel. That's why it is used for galvanized steel structures and anodes for steel boat hulls.

I am totally fine with patinas, but I do worry about getting water or fruit juices in the pivot area and not being able to dry it before it rusts. I'm thinking I might try this with my Manbug when it arrives and see how it goes.

Zinc vapor is really bad for the respiratory system, but I don't know if it's bad in terms of food contact in the solid state. I'm pretty sure fruit cans are galvanized on the inside.
-AHAB