Which knife to get as a gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lilshaver

Re: Which knife to get as a gift

Post by lilshaver »

If he is to use this for EDC - If a gent's knife then a Watu or if no nonsense use then a Native 5 Salt. Determine the use and then match the knife. JMHO
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

If he is to use this for EDC - If a gent's knife then a Watu or if no nonsense use then a Native 5 Salt. Determine the use and then match the knife. JMHO
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Netherend wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:05 pm
He currently has a desk job but still uses his h1 pacific salt
You provided a few clues, which we can use to make some assumptions. Since he's a former diver, can we guess that he's a rugged sort of bloke who is comfortable with a good-sized knife, and doesn't need one of those little dainty knives? You said he's now a desk jockey, but if he's in the same industry, I'd guess that he still might be in a wet/salty environment, which would make a stainless knife preferable.

The Manix 2 LW in SPY27 gives him a novel style lock, and a stainless that is a good compromise of all the qualities he might require. For me, it's a Goldilocks size.

I was also thinking of the PM2 or Para 3, but in regards to shape, they're not much different than what he has. The Native 5 SPY27 would be great, but the lock is the same as his Pacific. So with that, I'll double down on the Manix suggestion. Although, if he's a high-end desk jockey who dresses in fancy suits and looks like he just stepped out of an Armani ad, then the Manix might be too big. If I actually had to look presentable, then I'd have to stick with a Ladybug or a Dragonfly.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'd get him a pm2 s45v. It's a good step up from frn and ,if he recognizes quality, it'll blow his mind.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

If he has both an Atlantic and a Pacific Salt, I'd say his folder needs for outdoor and around water is pretty well covered (for a non knife nut).
If I was in his shoes I think I would prefer if someone had gifted me a Watu or Chaparral.
Both are very well suited for office carry and use. They are also a pretty big departure from what he already have which will make his knife collection/selection more diverse and suited for a wider range of tasks and situations, and could also be a good eye opener to all the different properties that make up a knife and how that wildly affects their suitability for different tasks. And while not really unknown knives, I would say they are both kind of hidden gems that he's not likely to stumble up on by himself, even if he asks/looks around for advice.
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

I'd say the Native Salt, a Spydiechef, or a Manix variant.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

[/quote]
if he's a high-end desk jockey who dresses in fancy suits and looks like he just stepped out of an Armani ad, then the Manix might be too big. If I actually had to look presentable, then I'd have to stick with a Ladybug or a Dragonfly.
[/quote]

Haha 😂 he is definitely not a high end Armani suit wearing desk jockey. When he isn’t working he often does not even wear a shirt lol. He is more of an adventure seeking, motorcycle racing, skeet shooting type of person.

These are all great suggestions. I really appreciate the advice.
Just one more knife...
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Chaparral comes in a variety of flavors and is perfect for an office carry knife with its compact, but very capable size. The Watu or Lil Native would also be a good option.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal