[UPDATE 2022] THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: THANKS Sal for this knife! (Salt 2 ffg SE - First impressions)

Post by Wartstein »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:02 pm
The Salt 2 LC200N is a great knife. I have the PE wharncliffe blade and it has been my most carried since I got it. It really disappears in the pocket and the rustproof blade will really help in the summer due to sweat.

How is yours concerning blade play?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm
Henry_P wrote:
The Salt 2 LC200N is a great knife. I have the PE wharncliffe blade and it has been my most carried since I got it. It really disappears in the pocket and the rustproof blade will really help in the summer due to sweat.

No side to side play. Only slight up and down play when I really push down hard on it.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:12 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm
Henry_P wrote:

No side to side play. Only slight up and down play when I really push down hard on it.
Kind of same for me on mine. No side to side, but ya don't have to "push", or pull if holding the knife upside down and pulling through something (vine, branch, etc...) very hard, and there is a bit of vertical play - or - "lock rock".
If ya never cut through much of anything beside soft-ish veggies, paper, thin cardboard, etc... I doubt you'd notice it..

u.w.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

u.w. wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm
Yes! Glad you got your knife, and it is to your liking! Reading your post has got me thinking about a serrated edge one now, lol...

Don't forget to check the fasteners (screws), to make sure they are not going to fall out. I read about several people who's knife had screws that were finger tip tight only. I checked mine when new and, 3 out of 5 were a loose fingertip tight. A quick touch of some thread lock and re-installation made everything good to go.

Thanks! :)
also for the tip concerning the screws - the handle screws on mine were pretty loose indeed (and I think not loctited at all)

- Get one in SE too indeed would be my strong recommendation (perhaps the wharnie then): For me SE is almost always better than PE, will stay sharp longer and if it ever gets dull during a multiday hike will still be a perfect "emergency-separator" (while dull PE is pretty useless)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

May SE wharnie just arrived. All I can say is YESSSS ! No blade play in any direction. Everything is as it should be. I only wish they release a few green Salts with black blades. Just imagine the green/black combo...pure awesomeness :cool: I am a happy camper anyway ! Going to purchase a few more ASAP. This is going to be my daily carry from now on. Thank you Spyderco ! :spyder:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 am
May SE wharnie just arrived. All I can say is YESSSS ! No blade play in any direction. Everything is as it should be. I only wish they release a few green Salts with black blades. Just imagine the green/black combo...pure awesomeness :cool: I am a happy camper anyway ! Going to purchase a few more ASAP. This is going to be my daily carry from now on. Thank you Spyderco ! :spyder:

Very cool, congrats!! :)

Amazing knife, right?! Somehow makes all others feel overly heavy (which still can be a nice feeling though) and also overly thick bladed.
May I ask: Yours has smooth action, but still no blade play? If so: I actually think that I did not even get a very good one concerning fit and finish myself (which does not bother me though, don´t get me wrong)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I see UW beat me to it. Some of the handle screws might have been loose and that will cause blade play, as you are well aware. A loose lockbar screw will really mess things up, but weirdly, sometimes unevenly tightened clip screws or others will cause issues in some knives.

I am waiting until I think they have got all of the bugs ( :p ) worked out of these before I get one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 am
I am waiting until I think they have got all of the bugs ( :p ) worked out of these before I get one.

Me, too. It’s strange how there seem to be more reported issues with these LC200N Seki Salts than I’ve ever heard about with the H1 models, or any other models, considering.

Jim
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:56 am
elena86 wrote:

Very cool, congrats!! :)

Amazing knife, right?! Somehow makes all others feel overly heavy (which still can be a nice feeling though) and also overly thick bladed.
May I ask: Yours has smooth action, but still no blade play? If so: I actually think that I did not even get a very good one concerning fit and finish myself (which does not bother me though, don´t get me wrong)
Define smooth. Mine is not as smooth as my Rockjumper which came in two days ago but I would say is smooth enough. It’s not a free dropper though. Let’s keep in mind that the wharnie style blade might have a different walk and talk but... who knows, maybe I was just lucky but than again I am allways lucky when it comes to my wharnies :D Speaking of smoothness, my SE wharnie Delicas in VG10 and my H1 wharnies are silky smooth and no blade play but I don’t cut thick branches with those anyway. Just string, cord, normal cardboard and rip open packages once in a while.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:56 am
elena86 wrote:
Define smooth. Mine is not as smooth as my Rockjumper which came in two days ago but I would say is smooth enough. It’s not a free dropper though. Let’s keep in mind that the wharnie style blade might have a different walk and talk but... who knows, maybe I was just lucky but than again I am allways lucky when it comes to my wharnies :D Speaking of smoothness, my SE wharnie Delicas in VG10 and my H1 wharnies are silky smooth and no blade play but I don’t cut thick branches with those anyway. Just string, cord, normal cardboard and rip open packages once in a while.

Sounds great!! :)

As said, I love my new Salt as it is (obviously, this is why I started this tread :p ), but reading what you guys say I might not even have gotten the best piece concerning action and blade play. Action is a tad stiff and even a bit "gritty", and there definitely is some bladeplay. Both not to an amount though that it would bother me by any means.

/ I DID cut thick branches already with my new Salt SE. Works great for that, better than a thicker blade would and also better than PE would (partly due to the SE much more acute chisel grind I assume).
James Y

Post by James Y »

As far as blade play, but especially the issue of loose screws on the LC200N Seki salts, that is a QC issue that definitely needs to be addressed. Forum members may disagree with me and say that loose screws are no big deal. But it is. If Spyderco is going to market these knives to outdoors people, most of whom are probably not knife nuts nor knife tinkerers, and who do not frequent knife forums, they will expect that a tool will work as advertised out of the box, without having to check for loose or missing screws, etc., etc. What if they’re out on the water/in the great outdoors and all of a sudden a screw or screws are gone, possibly affecting operation, when they need their knife the most? It is an issue that could give a new owner with such an issue or issues an overall negative impression of the product.

I’m not being negative towards Spyderco. I just want the product (in this case, the Seki-made LC200N Salts) to be the best they can be, instead of someone having to feel relieved if they’re lucky enough to get one that is near-perfect out of the box, without any issues. That should not be a matter of luck, it should be the norm.

Jim
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:03 am
As far as blade play, but especially the issue of loose screws on the LC200N Seki salts, that is a QC issue that definitely needs to be addressed. Forum members may disagree with me and say that loose screws are no big deal. But it is. If Spyderco is going to market these knives to outdoors people, most of whom are probably not knife nuts nor knife tinkerers, and who do not frequent knife forums, they will expect that a tool will work as advertised out of the box, without having to check for loose or missing screws, etc., etc. What if they’re out on the water/in the great outdoors and all of a sudden a screw or screws are gone, possibly affecting operation, when they need their knife the most? It is an issue that could give a new owner with such an issue or issues an overall negative impression of the product.

I’m not being negative towards Spyderco. I just want the product (in this case, the Seki-made LC200N Salts) to be the best they can be, instead of someone having to feel relieved if they’re lucky enough to get one that is near-perfect out of the box, without any issues. That should not be a matter of luck, it should be the norm.

Jim
Well said, completely agree.

I hope the new LC Salts get the all black treatment, long sunny days are back, and so is the nasty reflection on the blade.
Higher

Post by Higher »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi Vacheslav,

Thanks, glad you like my pics and find something interesting in my "report(s)"! :=

actually, THIS knife is not one I wanted for long... ;)
It was more a pretty spontanuous purchase, after I made a thread about how the Salt 2 ffg could really be "Spydercos better BM bugout". I generally like larger folders, but realized that I´d actually would still enjoy a really ultralight, but still very capable Spydie. And this is what the Salt 2 ffg is, especially due to its thin, but strong blade (I really don´t like small folders with thicker blades. Does not make much sense to me)

And: I did not choose this particular steel. As a matter of fact I have no need for a almost totally rustproof steel, VG10 is already just this in my use.
It´s just that this amazingly light Spydie happens to come in LC200N. But I would have taken it in VG10 or S30V as gladly as in LC. :)
Gernot, hello.
Thank you for answering my message.

I read more than I write on the forum. I read all the topics and in your topics I was interested in one thing. You have repeatedly, in more than one place, talk about knives with the following characteristics:
- thin blade
- full flat
- lightweight
This must be mandatory.
Everything else - the size and design preferences are purely individual.

I'll put it this way. Those required parameters are convenient for you. In your terms of use.
I know from my own experience that less weight is needed in the mountains. Less is better. And I agree with you that it is more convenient to cut food with a thin blade, which is full flat. And the serrator lives longer than the plain.

We need more knives. More of these knives. The lack of liners and frn gives light weight. And if there are no liners, it doesn't have to be a knife with steel against salt water.

This is important for me especially in summer, then there are few pockets and you need to carry less with you. Knife, sanitizer, keys, money, phone, sun glasses, handkerchief. Pockets run out :) This all needs a place. And the weight. There is no place for all this in beach shorts. And weight is also important here.
Light weight is also important here. And you don't always need steel against sea salt. I fully support you. Yes, our enduras and endelas knives are not very heavy either. And often we do not give them such a load that the liners are important.

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:31 pm

- Get one in SE too indeed would be my strong recommendation (perhaps the wharnie then): For me SE is almost always better than PE, will stay sharp longer and if it ever gets dull during a multiday hike will still be a perfect "emergency-separator" (while dull PE is pretty useless)
yes, here I also followed your recommendation. I think the Warncliffe serrator will be pretty easy to use. I ordered one for myself.
I use translator most of the time.

There was a link to the old Spyderco catalogs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really like how the blade isn't just a Delica blade in a different steel. With the handle being linerless and molded differently it really only shares some ergonomic details with the Delica.

I really hope to see the Rock Jumper family get the Salt treatment.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'll probably end up getting this one too. I'm just that happy with my Salts, and this is really the sweet spot for me with regards to size and weight. The problem is just deciding who's got to go. I guess the H1 Salt 2 will be a bit hard to justify if I get this one.
Maybe do a blade swap and try to sell my H1 salt2 with the green scales, as I do still prefer the yellow scales.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 am
I'll probably end up getting this one too. I'm just that happy with my Salts, and this is really the sweet spot for me with regards to size and weight. The problem is just deciding who's got to go. I guess the H1 Salt 2 will be a bit hard to justify if I get this one.
Maybe do a blade swap and try to sell my H1 salt2 with the green scales, as I do still prefer the yellow scales.

You prefer the yellow scale by color or by their a bit heavier (and perhaps a bit more rigid?!) design?
If by color, you could dye the green scales, though not yellow of course.

Not sure if the blade swap would work perfectly well? Could be, but as always I´d swap blade AND lockbar.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am
aicolainen wrote:

You prefer the yellow scale by color or by their a bit heavier (and perhaps a bit more rigid?!) design?

Not sure if the blade swap would work perfectly well? Could be, but as always I´d swap blade AND lockbar.
Just prefer the yellow color over the green.
You might be right about potential blade swap issues, so we’ll see where that goes. If there’s not too much risk in trying, it shouldn’t go untried.
The high-vis colors are OK with me, so I’m not very tempted to Rit dye, which typically would turn out as a darker color. If the swap is unsuccessful, I’ll keep the green color. I’m slowly getting used to it on my pac salt :p
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

I haven't read that the Green salt 2 scales are different from the yellow Salt 2 scales.
Aren't they the same, just different color?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:

I haven't read that the Green salt 2 scales are different from the yellow Salt 2 scales.
Aren't they the same, just different color?
That was my assumption..
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Can anyone make a video of the up-down play a.k.a. "lock rock" on the Salt2?

From my Seki folders, I don't think I have this, even on Salt 1, whose handle is pretty flexible.