Yojimbo 2 Best Pork Cutter?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Yojimbo 2 Best Pork Cutter?

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:58 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:06 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:35 pm
Thanks, demoncase and JakeXman.

I guess I’m back to wanting one again!...kinda. I don’t buy many knives anymore, but there’s still some on my proposed list...

:)

Jim

It just depends on how you use it, or if you're the kind of guy that drops their knife a lot. I used my first Yo 2 as a box knife for a good year and never had an issue, but then my S90V version somehow chipped the tip and I have no idea how or when (I suspect my son did it lol). The good news is if/when it happens you can just profile the spine down a bit to fix it and then the top will be stronger and less likely to chip again.

Before
After

Thanks!

On second thought, I’m not sure if the Yo2’s tip is much different, in terms of being needle-pointy, from the Military’s, or the PM2’s and PM3’s tips (except its blade is HG), and I carry and use those all the time.

OTOH, I could be wrong. I’ve never handled a Yo2.

Jim
If you have no issues with the Millie or Para 2 you should be fine.
:unicorn
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:53 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:29 am
i'm guessing because i've never used one, but the yojumbo would probably beat the yojimbo since it's a similar design with a longer blade.

This is what I meant to say, stupid autocorrect. It's everything the Yojimbo 1 and 2 are but bigger, I don't see how it couldn't do more damage.
There has been talk about longer blades not working as well. The physics says that if you push the same amount with a shorter or a longer blade, you will have less force at the end of the longer blade. It's basically torque, foot-pounds.

Mike usually shows some slides and there is one where they show the damage a utility razor blade can do, it can cut to the bone and cut surprisingly deep. Probably because the body will compress if you put pressure on it and the blade will cut deeper than you think.

I don't think we should be looking for the #1 contender in the meat man test, because the result of the test is that a lot of blades will perform VERY well in the test. You don't need a super crazy knife to defend yourself if you know what you're doing.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knife1

Post by Knife1 »

There is a thread here where Dr. Snubnose mentions that the best cutters are wharncliffe blades
viewtopic.php?t=36529
However, the Chinooks did very well and they have really curved points. Any ideas as to why, even though it's not that much longer but it is very curved the Chinooks had very good results?
Last edited by Knife1 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I could see that. The Wharncliffe is a straight edge that I would think you could really apply some force to.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032