Buggs Bunny hanging out

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Buggs Bunny hanging out

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:41 pm
A neighbor has a pet white rabbit that comes into my back yard and those of several neighbors. As long as I don't see any more rabbits, I guess I'm OK with it for now. Maybe I shouldn't be(?).

https://youtu.be/silJoHrXsIc

Jim
Hahaha! With a rabbit like that I would be worried.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:59 pm
My girl had to put her cat down a couple months ago (poor Precious). Now she's out in the back yard everyday feeding a baby bunny. She even call the thing and taps the bowl on the patio and sure enough it comes running over.
Yes they make better pets than cats.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

We've got quite a few rabbits here. The stray cats have been thinning them out in my neighborhood lately though.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm
They do have BIG teeth, however.

Another fun thing is to get some kids and let them chase the rabbits and catch them for you. You won’t get many but the kids will have a blast.

Rabbits make good pets. You can even litter box train them if you plan to keep them in the house. They will come when you call, unlike a cat. They love to be petted so are perfect fir calming lap animals.

On the other hand, they are good to eat. I have a killer rabbit in wine recipe (French). I like them fried, too. Like antelope, you have to gut and cool a rabbit as soon and quickly as possible if they will taste strong and gamey. Many grocers sell rabbit if you ask.
I got bitten once when I was little Doc but I’ve been scratched a few times, picking up head shot rabbits. :eek:

Many butchers sell rabbits here, but they’re large domestic rabbits. We’v never bought or eaten them and by all accounts they’re not much chop. If you’re going to eat rabbit you can’t beat young head shot wild rabbits.

Not good pics but, if it’s feral it’s in peril. :rolleyes:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:41 am
Well BLOKE I bet this is a great idea where you are at. But the CottonTail Rabbits we have in our area are pretty fast and not easy to fool.
Hey Joe, I’m tipping they aren’t as smart as you give them credit and I should have said, ‘find the rabbits at night’. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it’s the quickest, easiest way I know to catch rabbits but like Doc said they bite and scratch so you got to watch how you grab them. :)
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:56 pm
Bloke, is it true that the rabbits were originally imported into Australia as a cheap food source for colonists and once they bred they got out of control?
It is SEF and they did. :)

In their wisdom our forefathers also introduced foxes, cats, deer, buffalo, camels, cane toads, European carp ... it’s a bloody nightmare. :eek:
Last edited by Bloke on Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tims

Post by Tims »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Bloke, is it true that the rabbits were originally imported into Australia as a cheap food source for colonists and once they bred they got out of control?
Food and like foxes, sport.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:41 am
Well BLOKE I bet this is a great idea where you are at. But the CottonTail Rabbits we have in our area are pretty fast and not easy to fool.
Hey Joe, I’m tipping they aren’t as smart as you give them credit and I should have said, ‘find the rabbits at night’. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, it’s the quickest, easiest way I know to catch rabbits but like Doc said they bite and scratch so you got to watch how you grab them. :)
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
It is SEF and they did. :)

In there wisdom our forefathers also introduced foxes, cats, deer, buffalo, camels, cane toads, European carp ... it’s a bloody nightmare. :eek:
Alex, you ever bag any monster cats in your time?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am
Hey Tim, I’ve shot heaps mate. They come in when I’m whistling foxes ... feral dogs too.

The Tom in the photo above (and below) was definitely the biggest to date. He was heavier than the fox in the picture and a weary bugger. I was a bit lucky to drop him with a .22 at about seventy meters. Usually feral cats are rangy, scrawny things this one was bigger than most pampered domestic cats.

Rigor mortis set in by the time I took the pics but you get an idea. :)

Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:27 am
Tims wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am
Hey Tim, I’ve shot heaps mate. They come in when I’m whistling foxes ... feral dogs too.

The Tom in the photo above (and below) was definitely the biggest to date. He was heavier than the fox in the picture and a weary bugger. I was a bit lucky to drop him with a .22 at about seventy meters. Usually feral cats are rangy, scrawny things this one was bigger than most pampered domestic cats.

Rigor mortis set in by the time I took the pics but you get an idea. :)

They have a healthy growth potential on a wild diet and no shortage of rabbit for that one by the looks.
I learned respect for cats the hard way...

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm
They do have BIG teeth, however.

Another fun thing is to get some kids and let them chase the rabbits and catch them for you. You won’t get many but the kids will have a blast.

Rabbits make good pets. You can even litter box train them if you plan to keep them in the house. They will come when you call, unlike a cat. They love to be petted so are perfect fir calming lap animals.

On the other hand, they are good to eat. I have a killer rabbit in wine recipe (French). I like them fried, too. Like antelope, you have to gut and cool a rabbit as soon and quickly as possible if they will taste strong and gamey. Many grocers sell rabbit if you ask.
I got bitten once when I was little Doc but I’ve been scratched a few times, picking up head shot rabbits. :eek:

Many butchers sell rabbits here, but they’re large domestic rabbits. We’v never bought or eaten them and by all accounts they’re not much chop. If you’re going to eat rabbit you can’t beat young head shot wild rabbits.

Not good pics but, if it’s feral it’s in peril. :rolleyes:

Bloke, I thought they made you folks turn in all of your guns?

I love doing this stuff. I need to come visit one day.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:08 am
I learned respect for cats the hard way ...
:eek:

I’ll give you a buzz ... I got to hear about this. :)
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:07 pm
Bloke, I thought they made you folks turn in all of your guns?

I love doing this stuff. I need to come visit one day.
No Doc, it’s popular misconception. :confused:

We simply can’t own automatic/semiautomatic weapons although if you’re a Primary Producer you can for the purpose of feral pest control. The government even subsidies ammo and the weapons are tax deductible.

Our gun laws are very reasonable and normal people of sound character can own as many bolt action rifles of any caliber they wish, we simply have to have a reason. Feral pest control, recreational hunting and target shooting are all legitimate reasons to own and use a rifle and or shotgun. We can’t walk around with them for no reason and as a people we just don’t carry guns, knives, tasers, pepper sprays etc. etc. for self defence. It’s not our way. ;)

Anyhow, Oz is a shooter’s paradise as long as you don’t interfere with our native animals you can shoot ferals like: buffalo, clean skin cattle, camels, horses, donkeys, deer, pigs, goats, dogs, foxes, cats, rabbits, rats, cane toads ... 365 days a year.

Come visit Doc! You’ll love it here! :)