Favorite horror movies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Re: Favorite horror movies?

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 pm
Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:37 pm
I don’t like horror movies.

When I was about about 13-14yrs I snuck into the cinema to see The Exorcist and it had a horrendous effect on me for many year after. :eek:

I did however see Fright Night (1985) and liked it. :)
When it first came out, The Exorcist really freaked out my older brother, as well as my older cousins. By the time I saw it a few years later, I was about 15 and for some reason it didn't affect me that much. I think because from when I was 2 or 3, my brother liked to force me to watch horror/monster movies to scare me. It backfired on him, though, as to this day, he gets more freaked out by horror films than I do. I became more and more immune to being freaked out, though there have been a few movies with scenes that sent a chill up my spine. The Japanese film Kairo, as well as one short scene in the S. Korean movie Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum gave me chills the first times I watched them.

Jim
I've never watch another demonic possession or super natural type of movie since. :eek:

Just thinking of that nonsense still rattles me today. :o

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Bloke wrote:

When I was about about 13-14yrs I snuck into the cinema to see The Exorcist and it had a horrendous effect on me for many year after. :eek:

Lol!!! My brothers did the same thing! Taught them a great lesson lol.
I like Fright Night too ;)
Glad you think it's funny Paul, ... me not so much. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes: :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of my favorite horror type movies from the early 60s was a movie entitled "Hush, Hush Sweet Charolotte">> and the lady that played in that movie I do believe was truly evil in real life>> I'm speaking of Bette Davis. She didn't have to act to play her gory parts because I truly believe Bette Davis was just like that in real life. It still gives me the creeps to look at one of her pictures with her looking straight back. The evil just rolls off of that woman :eek: >> that movie was super strange for it's time. I was just a kid when it was released but it's one I won't forget>> or Bette Davis either for that matter.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Army of Darkness
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:38 pm
Bloke wrote:

When it first came out, The Exorcist really freaked out my older brother, as well as my older cousins. By the time I saw it a few years later, I was about 15 and for some reason it didn't affect me that much. I think because from when I was 2 or 3, my brother liked to force me to watch horror/monster movies to scare me. It backfired on him, though, as to this day, he gets more freaked out by horror films than I do. I became more and more immune to being freaked out, though there have been a few movies with scenes that sent a chill up my spine. The Japanese film Kairo, as well as one short scene in the S. Korean movie Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum gave me chills the first times I watched them.

Jim
I've never watch another demonic possession or super natural type of movie since. :eek:

Just thinking of that nonsense still rattles me today. :o

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Bloke wrote:

Lol!!! My brothers did the same thing! Taught them a great lesson lol.
I like Fright Night too ;)
Glad you think it's funny Paul, ... me not so much. Ah, hahaha! :rolleyes: :)
Lol, I'm the same way man. I cannot watch those type horror movies. No way.
Silly stuff like Freddie, Jason, what not, doesn't bother me.
But, NO demonic possession movies for me.
Oh, the reason I thought funny, wasnt laughing at you mate. Sorry for that. I was laughing at the memory of my brothers sneaking out and watching it when they knew they werent supposed too.
It scared the chit out of them! Said they ran all the way home lol!
ferider

Post by ferider »

Like for other favorite movies, I like a good camera and a good story also in a horror movies. Texas Chainsaw Massacre felt boring. I don't get the "gore just for gore" thing.

The most impressive horror movie that I remember was Hostel. Other favorites, in loose order: The Shining, 28 Days Later, The Thing, The Silence of the Lambs, Alien, Psycho, The Omen, The first 2 Resident Evils, etc. Classics I don't mind re-watching.

Roland.
James Y

Post by James Y »

The interesting thing about the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre is that, for the most part, the gore was implied rather than explicit. I liked the original, because the crazy family, especially the dad and the son (the one who worked in the slaughterhouse) were funny in a sick way (whether intentionally or not). There was this weird dynamic going on among them. Then the guy in the wheelchair was almost as crazy as the family. It's more difficult to imply something and horrify an audience without actually being graphic about it.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Rob Zombie has done some pretty rough horror movies.
House of 1000 corpses
The Devils Rejects
James Y

Post by James Y »

Two of my favorite horror comedies come from Hong Kong:

Encounter of the Spooky Kind (alternate title: Spooky Encounters, 1980). Unfortunately, this one cannot be viewed in its entirety online, due to licensing issues. There are 'hungry ghosts', a zombie, black magic, and possession (not demonic), involving Chinese deities like the Monkey King. My favorite scenes come near the end, where the main protagonist, played by Sammo Hung (IRL Jackie Chan's senior classmate) battles an evil wizard's apprentice, as well as an evil businessman, as all three become possessed by various deities at the command of two warring wizards. The possession scenes at the finale are not meant to be scary, but they are intricately choreographed martial arts fights, with traditional Chinese weapons.

IMO, the sequel that followed a decade later was nowhere near as good, but it's more prominent on YouTube than the superior original.

Mr. Vampire (1985). This movie was so successful when it came out that it inspired a number of sequels, spin offs and knockoffs, but the original was still the best (IMO). About a Taoist priest/Feng Shui master and his two apprentices who run a funeral home, who must face ghosts and Jiang Shi (Chinese vampires). Also not viewable on YouTube, due to licensing issues.

Both movies are by Golden Harvest Studios, which was the company behind Bruce Lee's early '70s Hong Kong martial arts films, and most of Jackie Chan's big movies of the '80s.

My preference is to view these movies either in original Cantonese or Mandarin language with English subtitles. I would avoid the English dubs. Especially the later English re-dubs by Fortune Star, which are awful.

Jim
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

There are some movies that come to mind that may not "exactly" be horror but due to their true nature/history are scary to me. Anything like Banshee chapter or Numbers station, movies that toy around with MKULTRA or human testing creeps me out. I was always an X-files junkie so movies like The Mothman prophesy or White noise were always enjoyable, even took a day trip to see the Mothman museum...
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am
There are some movies that come to mind that may not "exactly" be horror but due to their true nature/history are scary to me. Anything like Banshee chapter or Numbers station, movies that toy around with MKULTRA or human testing creeps me out. I was always an X-files junkie so movies like The Mothman prophesy or White noise were always enjoyable, even took a day trip to see the Mothman museum...

Human testing...try The Human Centipede if you want to see something you don't see everyday :eek: Very disturbing and gross.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:52 am
Perhaps the very first movie to deal with MK-ULTRA-type stuff was The Manchurian Candidate (1962). It's definitely not a horror movie, but it's a great movie and you might find it interesting. There was a remake several years ago, but I never watched it.

One great movie I forgot to mention is Quartermass and the Pit (UK, 1967). Alternate title: Five Million Years to Earth. Ahead of its time, it combines elements of sci-fi with paranormal horror. I remember this creeped me out as a kid. Unfortunately, it is exceedingly hard to find now.

Jim
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:10 am
Human testing...try The Human Centipede if you want to see something you don't see everyday :eek: Very disturbing and gross.
Noooo thanks Rick! lol not my cup-o-tea. :D
James Y wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 am
Perhaps the very first movie to deal with MK-ULTRA-type stuff was The Manchurian Candidate (1962). It's definitely not a horror movie, but it's a great movie and you might find it interesting. There was a remake several years ago, but I never watched it.
Jim
I think I saw the remake but it's been a long time ago. I'll have to revisit, thanks for that Jim.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Original B&W Night of the Living Dead still holds it's own IMHO.

James Y

Post by James Y »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 pm
Original B&W Night of the Living Dead still holds it's own IMHO.

Very true. The whole movie, but especially that scene with the little girl in the basement. I watched it again a couple years ago, and that scene is still a bit uncomfortable to watch.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm
One of my favorite horror type movies from the early 60s was a movie entitled "Hush, Hush Sweet Charolotte">> and the lady that played in that movie I do believe was truly evil in real life>> I'm speaking of Bette Davis. She didn't have to act to play her gory parts because I truly believe Bette Davis was just like that in real life. It still gives me the creeps to look at one of her pictures with her looking straight back. The evil just rolls off of that woman :eek: >> that movie was super strange for it's time. I was just a kid when it was released but it's one I won't forget>> or Bette Davis either for that matter.
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte was a great horror/suspense film. I think the main stars were Bette Davis and Gloria DeHavilland, (who, amazingly, is still alive today AFAIK).

Another one wth Bette Davis was 'Whatever Happened to Bany Jane?' It was about Davis' character tormenting her sister, played by Joan Crawford. Reportedly, in a scene where Davis' character kicks Crawford's character in the head, during the take she really did kick her. In the movie, Crawford's character is the kind one, but supposedly Joan was known to be like that, too. Back in the 1950s, a fan ordered flower bouquets from my grandpa's flower shop for Joan Crawford, and my mom had to deliver them to Crawford's house. Crawford herself would answer her door and accept the gift. Supposedly, Joan Crawford was obsessive-compulsive about answering all of her fan mail, and accepting all gifts sent by her fans.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
'Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte' was a great horror/suspense film. I think the main stars were Bette Davis and Gloria DeHavilland, (who, amazingly, is still alive today, AFAIK).

Another one wth Bette Davis was 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?' It was about Davis' character tormenting her sister, played by Joan Crawford. Reportedly, in a scene where Davis' character kicks Crawford's character in the head, during the take she really did kick her. In the movie, Crawford's character is the kind one, but supposedly Joan was known to be like that, too (the movie 'Mommie Dearest' was about Joan Crawford). She and Bette Davis had a lifelong rivalry.

Back in the 1950s, a fan ordered flower bouquets from my grandpa's flower shop for Joan Crawford, and my mom had to deliver them to Crawford's house. Crawford herself would answer her door and accept the gift. Supposedly, Joan Crawford was obsessive-compulsive about answering all of her fan mail, and accepting all gifts sent by her fans.

Another of those older horror films I like is 'The House on Haunted Hill', starring Vincent Price.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte was a great horror/suspense film. I think the main stars were Bette Davis and Gloria DeHavilland, (who, amazingly, is still alive today AFAIK).

Another one wth Bette Davis was 'Whatever Happened to Bany Jane?' It was about Davis' character tormenting her sister, played by Joan Crawford. Reportedly, in a scene where Davis' character kicks Crawford's character in the head, during the take she really did kick her. In the movie, Crawford's character is the kind one, but supposedly Joan was known to be like that, too. Back in the 1950s, a fan ordered flower bouquets from my grandpa's flower shop for Joan Crawford, and my mom had to deliver them to Crawford's house. Crawford herself would answer her door and accept the gift. Supposedly, Joan Crawford was obsessive-compulsive about answering all of her fan mail, and accepting all gifts sent by her fans.
Oh yeah I remember that "Baby Jane Husdon" movie that Bette Davis also starred in. As mean on the movie screen as Joan Crawford was I still say that Bette Davis had a creepy nature about her that I have seen in very few other actresses. An old girlfriend of mine had a book that Joan Crawford's real life daughter wrote about her. I think it was called something like "Mommy Dearest" and I remember reading part of it. Talk about dysfunctional parents :eek: I guess Joan Crawford was truly the polar opposite of "June Cleaver" from what her daughter revealed :rolleyes:
However a lot of those WWII era actresses truly were classy in their own rite. I often wondered why Rod Serling never got anyone like Bette Davis to do a couple of his TWILIGHT ZONE episodes>> she would have been perfect for those types of shows.
The other gal in HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHAROLOTTE was an old WWII era actress named Olivia DeHavilland. She was creepy in her own genre and there was another movie she did good in but the name escapes me at the moment. Olivia also did some early work with Alfred Hitchcock and a lot of stuff in the 1950s. Yeah those older gals in the acting trade were a breed all of their own. GOD help any guy who married either one of them :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Holy Hawkbill BATMAN!!!! James your not kidding. That old actress Olivia DeHavilland is still alive!!! :eek: and 102 years old at that :eek: A few years back I used to joke with my late mother ( GOD rest her soul) and I always told her that she would out-live me because she was in another paradigm and was just way too mean to die :rolleyes: >> of course I was just joking :D but with "Olivia DeHavilland" I'm not joking>> that's got to be one of the biggest reason's she's still alive. Holy Mackerel!! that gal even starred in "GONE WITH THE WIND" with Clark Gable back in the 1930s which was even considered an old movie even when I was a little kid and I just turned 65 last December :eek:

Not only all of that I just mentioned but to rub serious "insult into injury" she has a case pending in the USA Supreme Court at age 102 :eek: !!! and I'm sure they will rule in her favor out of pure fear if nothing else :rolleyes: I guess a lot of these old horror movie actresses don't die they just get meaner over time :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now the 1960s and the "HORROR" genre had a lot of changes during that decade. One of the very first movies to ever give me literal nightmares was an old Vincent Price movie entitled "The Pit & The Pendulum" which I believe was an old Edgar Allen Poe story. But Vincent Price was truly ahead of his time. Again I was just a kid when I saw that film at our old Roxy Theatre in my home town and I wasn't even 10 years old yet. But that was truly the first film I ever remember giving me literal nightmares.

Another really creepy movie in the 70s that I just can't forget was an old Ray Milland movie entitled "Frogs". For a movie cast in the early 1970s I thought that film was another one somewhat ahead of it's time. There were several critics that believed they stole that plot from an old Alfred Hitchcock movie. I had mentioned some other movies in an earlier post from the early 70s and "Frogs" was another one I can't ever get out of my head.

And to grow up in an era where Alfred Hitchcock and Rod Serling were in their prime was most interesting to say the least. OK to add one more to that list was a film I first saw when I was in high school that had a lasting impact on me. I've probably viewed it more than about any other movie I had ever seen. The movie was entitled "The Blood Of The Vampire" and it was a 1958 release. It is most interesting how VCRs changed everything in the late 70s, early 80s.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Does Natural Born Killers (directors cut) count as a horror movie? Any goths in Spyderville? City of Lost Children, anyone?

I'm a Rob Zombie fan too, House of 1k, Devil's Rejects, 31.

Demon Knight was good. Cabin in the Woods.

Does Alien(s) count?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal