Slysz Bowie... ever coming back?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zatx

Re: Slysz Bowie... ever coming back?

Post by Zatx »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:03 pm

And instead of going back why not moving forward, why not bringing Swayback into production instead of Slysz Bowie revival

I think the Swayback will be the next produced if they stick with their previous comments, but I'm also okay with both. ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Zatx wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:56 am
atv223 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 pm
Zatx wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:01 am
Any chance we'll see another run of the Slysz Bowie? We've just gotten our third iteration of the amazing Spydiechef and recently the Techno 2, sure would be nice to see a Slysz Bowie 2 (but with little in the way of changes - no zombie green backspacers please).
There is a 3rd iteration of the Spydiechef?
The original, then the ceramic ball, then what?

Waiting on word from someone at Spyderco, but it looks like carbidizing on the lock face that hasn't officially been present on any previous Spyderco models.
Better look at your thread again I just shared pictures of mine and it is not new. Not even sure there is or is not a third Gen but similar things are present on mine.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... &start=100
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

I know that this is an old thread, but this just popped into my head. I would like to see a "new" Slysz Bowie or just a sprint run for those of us who desperately want one and just didn't pull the trigger when they were $300. If I ask really nicely can that happen? Please.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

In on this. M390 would be cool
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

I think the Bowie had its time and place. Maybe an updated model, new steel a little internal milling and contouring. Taichung has upped its game since then let's see what they can do
jdw

Post by jdw »

I don't see it coming back. There already seem to be production delays in current models. I think the best chance is some far distant Sprint.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Given the demand for this nowadays and the prices people are asking for one, I doubt slow sales would be a concern for a possible Slysz Bowie 2. ;)

(lowkey bumping this up in frustration at the insane asking prices for a used Bowie on the secondary market :D )
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Carried mine again yesterday. It has yet to be unseated as the best Spyderco I have, and obviously this one has had a few upgrades. In terms of a lower cost (if possible) sprint, an identically-contoured CF model with a steel lockbar insert would be really my only thoughts on how to improve it. They absolutely MUST have a blade with a near-mirror finish like this though (Swayback and Techno 2 also have it), that is really my only gripe about the Kapara was that they missed the boat making it perfect by not finishing its S30V blade (and I know Taichung can mirror finish S30V blades like that because the CF Positron has one). Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm still interested in an XL, as long as it's still a Ti frame lock.

I was super disappointed when I bought one a few years ago and it didn't fit my hand.

As for changes to the handle. If it ain't Ti, I wouldn't buy. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I hope they do a sprint, but rather see a Slysz Rat made by Spyderco. A Techno 3 flipper would be awesome too.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I just want to add my voice that I'd go for a Sprint Slyz in a heartbeat. Hopefully that'll happen someday.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh, the ergos didn’t work for me and the tip is too upswept for my tastes.

Interestingly, this knife didn't take off that well. There were a few complaints about the clip and lock bar relief cut placement which was my ergonomic complaint. There were also many many complaints about the price which spyderco had to explain a few times. Then “The Shabazz” did a review of it and raved about it. That caused it to become sought after around the same time that it was discontinued hence the current prices on the second hand market.

That was when I accepted that knife influencers were real and that they were here to stay and most surprisingly that people actually listen to them. I like Shabazz and he seems like a good guy but his opinions on knives are quite different than mine. His opinions carry a lot of weight with many of his viewers.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
normal

Post by normal »

I really want a rerelease for the Bowie. Not a sprint because I actually want a chance to get one without flippers buying them all and selling them for $600 on Ebay. I also would not be in for a major change. CQI would be ok for small things like a lock bar insert. But PLEASE bring it back.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yes, please bring it back. I love all my Slysz knives. Having no hump is an ergonomic luxury. The only improvements I would like to see is a hollow grind (or is that asking too much?) and perhaps that the lock-bar relief be milled on the internal side.

It's a want, not a need, nevertheless..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This is one of the few knives I would seriously consider even though I have no clue what I would use it for.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The SLYSZ Bowie and K-2 models both were in the main line up during a time I was bombarded with some mean medical bills for two Knee Replacements. I was doing good just to keep the lights on during that time slot. I've been on the look out for possible trades and maybe hopefully finding a used one for sale or trade. Because I would probably make "users" out of either one of those anyway.

As hefty and rigid as both of those bad boys were I'm kind of surprised that at least one of them didn't become a permanent model in the main line up. You can add the Chinook III to that list as well. That was my fav of all the Chinook models.

However I'm super grateful that the C-60 Ayoob is returning. At least one of the older Super-Spyders will be back for a while.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've really love the entire Slysz line up and am only missing the Bowie. I would love to be able to get a chance at another production run of these.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:24 am
I hope they do a sprint, but rather see a Slysz Rat made by Spyderco. A Techno 3 flipper would be awesome too.
Ooh, forgot all about the Rat!

It was like a slender, more pointy version of the Bowie. 3.25-3.75" would make for a wicked knife.

I'm in!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:22 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:24 am
Ooh, forgot all about the Rat!

It was like a slender, more pointy version of the Bowie. 3.25-3.75" would make for a wicked knife.

I'm in!

Slysz Skinny is a more pointy and slender version of the Bowie. I would kill for one !!! It’s my grail folder ! Please Spyderco , just do it !!!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red