Non Conventional Self Defense Items: Problems and Down Sides of them?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Non Conventional Self Defense Items: Problems and Down Sides of them?

Post by MacLaren »

Crux wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:09 am
Firearms are useless against dragons. Do you not watch the movie/documentaries of dragon assault? This works, that's why they made it.

Just like my DP-12 is only useful against a zombie horde. Or any herd for that matter.
Dilly Dilly!!! :D

Lol, in all seriousness Joe is correct. You have what are considered deadly weapons.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 pm
Gevatter wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:40 pm
I used to carry a big padlock ...
OMG! it's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this post, it would have been spattered all over my tablet screen!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

In my opinion, the best improvised weapons are those that you carry with you and have other primary purposes--like flashlights, pens/markers, and canes. Flashlights are extremely useful and are a great physical reminder to be aware of your surroundings. When used proactively to see at night, they also make you much less attractive as a target. Gripped in your fist, they allow you to hit harder and with more focused impact than flesh and bone alone.

Similarly, a sturdy pen or marker makes a great fist-load weapon that allows you to hit with great effect.

Canes are awesome weapons, provided they're wielded with reasonable tactics. The cane systems of many martial arts are far too complicated and require too many physical attributes to be used effectively, especially by folks who need canes as mobility aids. Canes are also difficult to use in confined areas.

One of the greatest advantages of all three of these weapons is that you can carry them in-hand without raising any eyebrows. The quickest draw is the one that never has to happen.

I am all for responsible carry of firearms, but even if you carry, it's wise to remember that many self-defense situations involve unarmed attackers. Drawing guns against unarmed people--unless you are severely outnumbered or can otherwise establish him/them as a potentially lethal threat--is felony menacing. And, if you travel, sooner or later you'll go somewhere where your gun can't.

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:21 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 am
Also out of this batch of Cold Steel self defense tools I've got what they called a "Two-Handed" Machete. Cold Steel imported them from South Africa of all places. These two handed Machetes are really nice and when I do hike in the woods I always take that tool with me. It truly has a multitude of uses and I wouldn't even mind having another one.
I have one of these great tools as well. Never considered it for self defense but in the woods I can see how useful it could be against a predator should I be unfortunate enough to be within arms reach of one.

I carried a Benchmade pen for years until I lost it last year. I replaced it with a Hinderer Investigator pen, nice compact impact weapon should I have the need for one. Along those same lines, I have thought to myself before how useful a Police 4 or Military could be in the closed position as a blunt impact tool
If they would re-make that two handed machete with a better handle and a more serious tool steel blade I would pay big money for an upgraded version of that two handed machete. At the time we were getting those ( between 2004 to 2007) we were selling all of them we could get. And they were made in some factory in South Africa. If I go hiking in the woods which I don't do much anymore because of all the criminals we have living in the woods here in Missouri>> I don't go alone and I don't go unarmed anymore at all. And that two-handed machete would be good against a wolf, pack of coyotes, mountain lion ( Yes we now have them back here in Missouri again) this two-handed, Cold Steel machete would even make any predator think twice. The trouble with mountain lions is they mostly attack people from the back>> so unless you hear him coming you are at a serious disadvantage.

Here in Missouri they don't attack humans that I know of. It's usually calves, hogs and other domestic farm animals. But where deer are plentiful like they are in North Missouri they usually leave the farm animals alone. But you are so right>> that two-handed machete is a tool that I would love to see return in an upgraded, serious version.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:01 am
In my opinion, the best improvised weapons are those that you carry with you and have other primary purposes--like flashlights, pens/markers, and canes. Flashlights are extremely useful and are a great physical reminder to be aware of your surroundings

Similarly, a sturdy pen or marker makes a great fist-load weapon that allows you to hit with great effect.

Canes are awesome weapons, provided they're wielded with reasonable tactics. The cane systems of many martial arts are far too complicated and require too many physical attributes to be used effectively, especially by folks who need canes as mobility aids. Canes are also difficult to use in confined areas.
Great comments as usual Mr. Janich ;) Speaking of the tools I got from Cold Steel about 10 years ago that were made of that "Chinese White Wax" wood I also got a walking cane made of that same wood. Since my radical knee surgery I got this past summer I've been using that White Wax Wood cane and it would make an excellent weapon if needed.

In the Area of Flashlights as you mentioned I'm still a big fan of Surefire flashlights. They are pricey but very dependable and the newer ones are real flame throwers. My newest one is rated at 600 lumens which I believe would temporarily blind any assailant with bad intent. But the one big thing I like about Surefire is they are very dependable unlike a lot of the cheaper units currently on the market. The Surefire E2D defender is still one of my all time favorites and it would make a nice SD weapon if needed.

I'm going to take what you and Landon said about those "tactical pens" more seriously. I can see how those could be used like a makeshift ice-pick of sorts.

The interesting thing about those canes, staffs, poles and chucks made with that Chinese White Wax wood is that particular wood has incredible properties to it. It doesn't splinter, it's almost impossible to break ( even the thinner stuff) and if you treat it with raw linseed oil they are totally weather proof. Like I said earlier it's probably the most dense wood I've ever encountered. And it's not heavy like most USA hardwoods i.e. hickory, locust, ash, any of the oak species or even pecan for that matter. Thanks again for all your great insight Mr. Janich :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The main time I think of this is regarding an active shooter situation at work. I've thought of various weapons I might use based on where I am at in the building and what's available there. Of course given the opportunity fleeing the area is preferred but not always possible. Since i cannot carry a firearm at work I've thought of alternatives.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:46 am
The main time I think of this is regarding an active shooter situation at work. I've thought of various weapons I might use based on where I am at in the building and what's available there. Of course given the opportunity fleeing the area is preferred but not always possible. Since i cannot carry a firearm at work I've thought of alternatives.
Sad that's a new reality we have to live with and think about these days. We had to take a mandatory training class on what to do/not do in an active shooter situation at my job just a couple years ago.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Active shooter. Where I used to work, a hospital and clinic setting we had a mandatory training that basically said, forget about anyone else, run away. Many of us think this is wrong. Leaving a shooter to continue shooting people is wrong. Yes, you too could be shot, but maybe not. If EVERYONE attacked the shooter it is more likely that fewer people would be shot.

One day “No Weapons” signs appeared on the doors. However, the employees were not ordered to be unarmed. Even so, some employees carried concealed handguns. We had a number of instances of crazy or drug-seeking people acting so that the police were called. I always felt better knowing at least someone was armed if the situation turned deadly.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Made a walking stick/cane out of ash back in the day.
Pretty effective. Hanging on a buddy's wall as a memento now. Can carry it anywhere whereas guns and knives and locks and hammers you can't. It can't just be a stick of wood, decorate it a little make it look like a normal cane.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:23 am
The problem as I see it with these "weapons" is that their use will get one charged with attempted murder as fast as using a firearm will if the conditions of self defense aren't met. In that case why the heck not use a firearm? If you can have one of these you can probably have a firearm. If one is in an airplane crash or somewhere that no weapons will be available a torpedo or other make do thing won't either. In that case rocks, sticks or whatever is available can and should be used. For those in countries where weapons and self defense aren't valid this isn't meant to be relevant to your situation and I'll leave that alone.

Joe
Mastiff, that is actually another part of the original question I have, which I do not like. In my eyes, if you are a legitimate self-protector, protecting your person and property, everything should be cut and dried. In an ideal situation, the law/legal system should, in my view of things, side with you, the person defending and protecting yourself from an assailant, an attacker. Sadly, as you and others have rightly pointed out, both here and in everyday life, the legal system of today is not that cut and dried. Someone pointed out to me that it was never that way, I kind of disagree: unless someone was part of the local "good old boys club" and attacked someone, in general, it seems to me (at least in old America of the 1950s and before), the judges, lawyers, police officers, sheriffs, and townsfolk and city folk would all side with you, and you would not in the least bit face any danger of legal repercussions for obviously defending yourself.

Without getting political, let's say the addition of "Certain Anti Individualism philosophies" has made it so, even in clear cut and dried cases where you, the person defending your property and person, had to use either severe physical or lethal force against an attacker, now, things could go bad for the protector/self defender. Again, this sours my stomach because it is not fair, and not right.

What can be done for a law abiding citizen who wants to protect themselves to be able to do so without the fear of the legal system coming against them, instead of coming against the one it should be against: The attacker/initiator of violent assault? Stand your Ground laws are a good one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

What can be done for a law abiding citizen who wants to protect themselves to be able to do so without the fear of the legal system coming against them, instead of coming against the one it should be against: The attacker/initiator of violent assault? Stand your Ground laws are a good one.
Stand your ground laws help a bit but even in those states in the one place you are all you need is a media driven politically whipped up lynch mob ( with paid protestors shipped from out of state) and you are at the mercy of the local DA. Who is elected or has plans for higher office.

The areas that need the best self defense laws are areas that politically will have the opposite. Sometimes it pays to relocate to an area where you are safer and if the worst comes to pass you have the greatest chance of being treated fairly. That is about all I got. :)

Joe
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have another simple favorite from Cold Steel, the Pocket Shark
It's a darn tough pen that passes as a big "Sharpie" and has real use everyday at work, for labeling boxes, writing, etc.

I gave mine to a friend (my old one, 3 years used) and he carries it and uses it every week at the building he works at with metal detector at the door. He also says he opens cans of food and hard to open bottled pickled cucumbers, olives, veggies and such by hitting the top and bending/denting the steel tab, releasing the pressure and making it easy to open (he has debilitated hands) :o
Last edited by ThePeacent on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:05 pm
Crux wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 pm
I have one of these 2 pound 15" torpedos. Saving it for a dragon.
Call me naive, but I have absolutely no idea what this thing is, or what it does/how to use it? Do you just throw it and it can penetrate a windshield!?

while I don't think they should welcome Lynn by writing "180 Pound Pig" on it when he appears in scene, :p this video demonstrates the effectiveness of this odd implement quite well :eek:

https://youtu.be/_YkgW3xv_Po
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Mr Janich hit the nail on the head for me with his comments.
Those are the very same "Tools" I carry especially when travelling.

The Walking Stick is a Pat Crawford Model "Hiking Pole" which I have made a Canvas bag to transport it strapped alongside my Travel/tramping pack broken down with accessories. (no blow darts or sling shot included).
I have never been looked at twice other than in Bangkok when on MRT system. It was only "Rubbed down" to check it wasn't a Firearm (I assume).
My understanding is that possession of a Slingshot pretty much carries the same Penalty as a M16 in Thailand.

Torch (flashlight) is always in hand when out in dodgy area or even just to spot holes in Pavement. Am sure it has prevented a twisted ankle more than once.
Anderson "Tactical Pen" is great but I do not take it as carry on in Aircraft or in Prison when I was working there. Pens get used to "poke around and in Stuff" that you definitely don't want to touch.
You will get out of that habit of chewing on your Pen real quick as a LEO..

It's the old story, the tool in hand is better than the one at home..
Just ensure to take the time to "handle it" as a weapon ocassionly to get Muscle Memory tuned in..