The Forgotten Model? A Perfect EDC? Yeah The ROOKIE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: The Forgotten Model? A Perfect EDC? Yeah The ROOKIE

Post by JD Spydo »

arty wrote:I would like to see one with CF or CF laminate for the handle. This would be more rigid than a straight G10 and lighter. For EDC, I would prefer a stainless steel and am flexible: XHP, S35V, ZDP or even VG10 would be good.

I actually like the saber grind and swedge, but would be happy with a full flat grind for this knife.
It might sell better with a steel upgrade from VG10, but that is a marketing decision.
There are some very interesting considerations there "arty">> I also tend to like most of the Carbon Fiber handles>> now I really don't want to go the VG-10 route because I want this to be unique and special from the standpoint that I want to see the ROOKIE model with all of the modern advancements that we see in many of the newer models. We have other models that I think would greatly be enhanced with updated materials that Spyderco is now using. But I want the ROOKIE model to have another chance because to me it was another model like the C-54, C-60 and TEMP 1 models that just got passed over because of all the super popular models at the time they were release. And the ROOKIE probably got passed over worse than any of them IMO.

I'm still thinking that a Titanium handled version with the XHP you mentioned would be a great folder and would be durable for hard use as well. Interesting comments thus far guys and I think the ROOKIE could be on the horizon.
arty

Post by arty »

I would rather see S35V or XHP than VG10, and can agree with you there. There are some downsides to metal in a handle given the Rookie design. The knife handle is narrow, and this makes for very nice carry in the pocket. The downside of titanium would be that unless it is textured, one handed opening might be cumbersome. Titanium would add strength, but would also add weight and cost. My personal preferences would be the CF laminate, carbon fiber, or perhaps the fiberglass Nishijin material that Spyderco has used on some of their knives. That would be an attraction for me, as I don't have any of it.
Mick

Post by Mick »

A FFG version of the Rookie would be an amazing slicer!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mick wrote:A FFG version of the Rookie would be an amazing slicer!
The more I think about it the Full Flat Grind would be the perfect option>> because my all time favorite POLICE model was the G-10 handled version with the FFG. So why not let a Rookie Sprint learn from previous success. Keeping it somewhat simple I've decided that maybe a really good G-10 handle would be the ticket considering that I really want this to be a folder that people will use and use hard versus having it become a safe queen.

The ROOKIE truly is a model that really didn't have a chance to really take off in the market on the first go-around >> it sort of compares to the original ATS-55, G-10 Harpy model that everyone now wants but at the time it was in the main line up it was overshadowed by models that were selling big during that time slot. It's also interesting to note that both models were in the ATS-55 era.

Also the ROOKIE was one model that I really did like with a Stainless handle. Although I did like the G-10 version better I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a Micarta handle or any other material everyone might like to try.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

If Spyderco were to bring back a Rookie (or mini police 4) - how would people feel about double liners? I'm fully aware of the intention behind keeping the Rookie slim, but it does make for somewhat less comfortable cutting at times.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Germinalphrase wrote:If Spyderco were to bring back a Rookie (or mini police 4) - how would people feel about double liners? I'm fully aware of the intention behind keeping the Rookie slim, but it does make for somewhat less comfortable cutting at times.
I'm not really that particular about whether or not a certain model has liners or not. The C-60 Ayoob which is one of my all time favorite models has a liner and it doesn't bother me in the least. But a lot of people are really bothered about weight issues and Spyderco's heavier folders don't bother me either.

I mainly am particular about handle material more than anything else. Now I did sort of like the original ROOKIE model in Stainless but I much better liked the G-10 model. I've always thought that the ROOKIE is about the best overall EDC folder for people who tend to like more traditional type folders.

The size and blade length are close to perfect with the ROOKIE model IMO. I would even consider carrying one with a supersteel blade.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I prefer liners. Ti or steel. I like both. I'm liking your idea Joe. Provided we saw a steel upgrade from VG 10. I have probably 15 VG 10 knives already.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:I prefer liners. Ti or steel. I like both. I'm liking your idea Joe. Provided we saw a steel upgrade from VG 10. I have probably 15 VG 10 knives already.
Well the way everyone seems to really like HAP 40 that would make a great Sprint Run. But if they have another Japanese supersteel they would like to debut that would be a great model to do it with.

Yeah I definitely agree with you that VG-10 would not be the steel I would want to see them use. And I've been a fan of VG-10 for some time now too and I also have several user models with VG-10. But enough is enough it's time to move up. Especially for Sprint Runs.
arty

Post by arty »

I also prefer liners. If G10 were used, then double liners would make for a more rigid handle. With a CF handle, then a single liner might work.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Recently went looking for a Baby Horn on the secondary market to have a backup. Turns out I found one in a listing that also had a g10 Rookie sprint available, so naturally I bought both! :p

Never really looked at the Rookie before or expected to land one, but I vaguely remembered seeing this thread last year and decided to give it a shot.

Thanks for the thread JD, can't wait to check it out!
:spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Nate wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:56 am
Recently went looking for a Baby Horn on the secondary market to have a backup. Turns out I found one in a listing that also had a g10 Rookie sprint available, so naturally I bought both! :p

Never really looked at the Rookie before or expected to land one, but I vaguely remembered seeing this thread last year and decided to give it a shot.

Thanks for the thread JD, can't wait to check it out!
Well Nate I congratulate you on two great finds ;) . Yeah I still think that the Rookie model might just be the best overall model for ideal EDC uses. The size and blade length probably would be kosher in virtually any state here in the USA and the size and scope of the model would also work great for most average knife users as well.

I'm always glad to see some of these old threads get attention because a lot of the newcomers here at Spyderville might not even be aware of the ROOKIE model. I'm kind of surprised that it didn't become a permanent fixture on the main line up likes it's big Brother the POLICE model did :confused: But the ROOKIE Model with a newer/better blade steel would truly be a slam dunk sales wise I'm certain.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

For the benefit of anyone who might have never seen a Rookie..

Size comparison with the Police:

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have never held the Rookie, but considering the recent change from the P3 to the P4 that eliminated the swedge, wouldn't a Rookie in FFG and G-10 be very similar to the G-10 Delica?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

xceptnl wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am
I have never held the Rookie, but considering the recent change from the P3 to the P4 that eliminated the swedge, wouldn't a Rookie in FFG and G-10 be very similar to the G-10 Delica?
It would, in my humble opinion not be a Rookie anymore.. C'mon guys and gals, there's a plethora of FFG models to choose from already!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm really hoping for a Rookie2 in K390!

Nate

Post by Nate »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am
Well Nate I congratulate you on two great finds ;) . Yeah I still think that the Rookie model might just be the best overall model for ideal EDC uses. The size and blade length probably would be kosher in virtually any state here in the USA and the size and scope of the model would also work great for most average knife users as well.

Thanks! I hope you're right about it being ideal for edc. I always wanted to like the Delica, but never fully warmed up to it. The Rookie looks similar, but maybe different enough that it finds a permanent place here. Since I no longer have a Delica, the main competition in my rotation will be against models like the Chaparral, UKPK and Calypso Jr.

I'm always glad to see some of these old threads get attention because a lot of the newcomers here at Spyderville might not even be aware of the ROOKIE model.

I agree, there's such a wealth of information in old threads. A well-timed bump or the "retrospective" threads like this one of yours have opened my eyes to several models over the years. I'll add to this one in a little while, even if only to post another pic or two and say "I like it a lot." :)

(p.s., thanks for the pics guys!)

I'm kind of surprised that it didn't become a permanent fixture on the main line up likes it's big Brother the POLICE model did :confused: But the ROOKIE Model with a newer/better blade steel would truly be a slam dunk sales wise I'm certain.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out why certain models take off and others lanquish on the shelves. Mainly just different tastes and trends I guess. Also, I know I'm not the first to say it, but I think there's a lot of truth to the idea that in many cases Spyderco's biggest competition is Spyderco.

A new Rookie sprint might do well though if it's resurrected again. I've been trending towards smaller knives lately, and while I'm a big fan of the lightweights and frn, I still like g10 a lot too. This is part of the reason I was so happy that I "got wise" on the Baby Horn sprint while they're still readily available and then immediately started looking for a backup.
:spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

xceptnl wrote:
....wouldn't a Rookie in FFG and G-10 be very similar to the G-10 Delica?
I'd love to see a side-by-side comparison.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Would love to see a Rookie 4! I would love to see it in K390 but maybe for a Sprint make XHP the regular version? :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 pm
xceptnl wrote:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... t-15848845
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:43 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 pm
xceptnl wrote:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... t-15848845
Looks mighty similar to my eye. Thanks for the link