Dog Tag

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I think with the pastel color combination + the dogtag configuration, 98% of the people in the world would not even know you were wearing a knife...

So for subterfuge, 5 stars...

Now about ergonomics... :rolleyes:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm a bit bummed by the price actually. The dog tag was definitely on my radar but I didn't expect it to be priced nearly that high. Too much money for what would basically be a novelty for me. I'm not implying that they are charging too much for what went into the design and materials...just that it doesn't interest me as a consumer because of the price point. For $70 I'll buy another pacific salt and hang it around my neck! :)
nccole

Post by nccole »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm a bit bummed by the price actually. The dog tag was definitely on my radar but I didn't expect it to be priced nearly that high. Too much money for what would basically be a novelty for me. I'm not implying that they are charging too much for what went into the design and materials...just that it doesn't interest me as a consumer because of the price point. For $70 I'll buy another pacific salt and hang it around my neck! :)
Maybe you won't lose it that way :p
remnar

Post by remnar »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm a bit bummed by the price actually. The dog tag was definitely on my radar but I didn't expect it to be priced nearly that high. Too much money for what would basically be a novelty for me. I'm not implying that they are charging too much for what went into the design and materials...just that it doesn't interest me as a consumer because of the price point. For $70 I'll buy another pacific salt and hang it around my neck! :)
I feel the same way about the price. I may end up with one just to satisfy my curiosity, but it has moved down on my list of knives that I want.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

That price point makes me a buyer for sure. I am definitely interested in this knife, looks to be a very cool and unique design that will be a cool folding neck knife.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Ned

Post by Ned »

I will be buying one...just to much novelty for me to pass up.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

Price point is a little high for what it is, but the design is excellent. Time will tell if it grows on me enough to pull the trigger
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

nccole wrote:Maybe you won't lose it that way :p
Foul, foul I say!! Below the belt...with no cup!! ;)
nccole

Post by nccole »

Surfingringo wrote:Foul, foul I say!! Below the belt...with no cup!! ;)
I couldn't resist. Especially since I envy your fishing time.

In related news I legitimately convinced someone that a Ti knife would float and then forgot to inform them I was just messing with them. Oh well, life lesson potential scenario setup :D I often get accused of being an ***, just comes naturally I guess :rolleyes:
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

xceptnl wrote:For that price point, I will pick one up for sure.
Same here. I'd like to get one and put it on my keychain.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We always get caught up in the size/cost dilemma. Truth is there are plenty of factors that influence MSRP and for the most part it's a pretty consistent calculation based on cost to make.

Collabs are always special because the maker normally sells a similar knife for upwards of $300 but Spyderco makes it for a fraction of that. After seeing the dog tag I've subscribed to Serge's Facebook page to see if I can grab an original in antiqued copper. :D
nccole

Post by nccole »

Blerv wrote:We always get caught up in the size/cost dilemma. Truth is there are plenty of factors that influence MSRP and for the most part it's a pretty consistent calculation based on cost to make.

Collabs are always special because the maker normally sells a similar knife for upwards of $300 but Spyderco makes it for a fraction of that. After seeing the dog tag I've subscribed to Serge's Facebook page to see if I can grab an original in antiqued copper. :D
Those are very cool indeed. He has a very unique style.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Handled one at Blade last year, I'm in. Probably the most colorful Spyderco yet?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

senorsquare wrote:Same here. I'd like to get one and put it on my keychain.
I didn't think of it as a keychain knife. Kind of wish it had more coverage of the cutting edge so a key couldn't get in there. I noticed that it is chisel ground. I wonder if that was done to put the cutting edge farther in and close to sitting flush with the tag.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I didn't think of it as a keychain knife. Kind of wish it had more coverage of the cutting edge so a key couldn't get in there. I noticed that it is chisel ground. I wonder if that was done to put the cutting edge farther in and close to sitting flush with the tag.
The blade appears chisel ground so (like most knives of this type) other than the thickness of the bronze washer, it should be almost flush.

EDIT.... see pics from Amsterdam

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm very interested in the idea of this as a keychain knife. Hmmm....
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I have an idea for a custom scale on this little guy. Now I just need to get one in my grimy hands. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Blerv wrote:We always get caught up in the size/cost dilemma. Truth is there are plenty of factors that influence MSRP and for the most part it's a pretty consistent calculation based on cost to make.

I get that for sure Blake. ****, spyderco probably eats into their own margin to try to price offerings like this where people will buy them. It just doesn't satisfy my personal price/practicality ratio. Not via photos anyway. Who knows, maybe I'll get to hold one one day and decide I've gotta have one.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Surfingringo wrote:I get that for sure Blake. ****, spyderco probably eats into their own margin to try to price offerings like this where people will buy them. It just doesn't satisfy my personal price/practicality ratio. Not via photos anyway. Who knows, maybe I'll get to hold one one day and decide I've gotta have one.
Oh, I hear you :) . I'm not one for caviar myself (you don't get much for the money). Cheap collabs are a bit easier even if they are functionally somewhat silly compared to a FRN model.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I still want one. :rolleyes: