underrated models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

put me on the Centofante 3/4 train. most notably the four as I feel it filled a very nice niche that no longer exists in their line up.

a beautifully thin wharncliffe with a classy looking yet super utilitarian handle. it's right at home eating dozens of yards of cardboard or cutting a silk ribbon at a wedding. I feel like it filled that perfect Edc size for most people. and it filled a more classy role than the super jimped g10, aggressive Yojimbo. and doesn't have the "mini" vibe you get from their smaller wharnies.

such a shame it never caught on and was subsequently discontinued. also I haven't been able to find mine for about a month :( love that thin, hollow ground vg10.

with my thinned out edge

EdgeFUBAR

Post by EdgeFUBAR »

My beloved Poliwog G-10 .... just love the little-big knife feel of it and how the ball bearing looks like it should just fall out. Amazing design and unfortunately discontinued.
Poliwog G-10, Manix 2 Light Weight Blue, Smallfly Blue G-10, Dragonfly 2 (Salt PE, ZDP-189, ZDP-189 Nishijin , Pink FRN) Manix 2 EDC Forums Moonglow, Matriarch 2 with Emerson , Lil' Matriarch, Dodo Carbon Fiber, Catcherman,Chapperal Carbon Fiber, Bug, and a "S"
JD Spydo

Dyad, Dodo and Temp 1 don't get the respect they deserve

Post by JD Spydo »

I have gone on record for many years now stating that the big C-44 full sized Dyad model is truly thee quintescential Spyderco model of them all. To me it is the ultimate EDC knife giving you the very best of both Spyder worlds.

For that reason I also believe that it is probably the most underrated and the most taken for granted model that Spyderco ever made.

There are other models that I also can make a case for. To me the Harpy and the Spyderhawk are very much overlooked and underrated models for their potential as far as being effective cutlery tools.

In the fixed blade category I still think that the original FB05 Temperance 1 model in both plain edge and Spyderedge are truly very much overlooked and underrated. I use both of mine almost on a daily basis and I won't shut up until they offer up the PE & SE Temperance 1 model in H-1 steel. Because with a yellow FRN handle and H-1 steel it has the potential of becoming the best hard use fixed blade in the entire industry.

Especially with this survival/prepper movement gaining steam the way it is. With H-1 steel you have a survivalists dream blade in both edges and corrosion resistance on top of it.

The most underrated and overlooked small folder Spyderco ever made is without a doubt the DODO in my opinion. But again I can't stress enough how much both variants of the original Dodo were so great to use. The Dodo is a beast of a cutter in plain edge and it is like a little badger in Spyderedge.

There are many of Spyderco's unique designs that are overlooked and underrated. And most of them have specific uses.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I agree with the centofante 3 very underrated one of my favorite knives. What about the new goddard sprint? I don't see much said about that around here, I love this knife!!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Actually I found out about the Manix 2 because people wouldn't shut up about it. I have the combo edge, would like to get a plain edge FFG version some day but don't want to pay sprint prices for that.
All God's critters have knives.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

twinboysdad wrote:I haven't owned one but the Meerkat I handled made me think it might be underrated
I second that. I actually just bought my second Meerkat. I LOVE the way it fits in my hand, how the final curve along the back of the knife presses against my pinky. It's positively erotic. ;) Baahahahaha!

But seriously.

I lust after a G10 plain edge Navigator. Same shape as the Meerkat. I'd do horrible things to that knife.

Not quite sure how that became so sexual... I'll stop now.

+1 for the Balance being underrated. Pricey little bugger for the size of the thing but it really is an incredible tool you have to hold to understand.
EdgeFUBAR

Post by EdgeFUBAR »

zhyla wrote:Actually I found out about the Manix 2 because people wouldn't shut up about it. I have the combo edge, would like to get a plain edge FFG version some day but don't want to pay sprint prices for that.
The Manix 2 Lightweight is FFG.. and is **** good value
Poliwog G-10, Manix 2 Light Weight Blue, Smallfly Blue G-10, Dragonfly 2 (Salt PE, ZDP-189, ZDP-189 Nishijin , Pink FRN) Manix 2 EDC Forums Moonglow, Matriarch 2 with Emerson , Lil' Matriarch, Dodo Carbon Fiber, Catcherman,Chapperal Carbon Fiber, Bug, and a "S"
paladin

Post by paladin »

Don't know if I would categorize the Caly Jr. as "underrated," cause it gets a lot of love and commands premium prices on the secondary mkt. , but the fact that it's disco'd may qualify it as such. The FRN models pack A LOT of utility into a thin, ultralight package...good choil, FFG, VG10 or ZDP 189, midlock...what's not to love. I wish an updated Caly, jr. with jimping and flat spine (like Caly 3.5) would be created.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

paladin wrote:Don't know if I would categorize the Caly Jr. as "underrated," cause it gets a lot of love and commands premium prices on the secondary mkt. , but the fact that it's disco'd may qualify it as such. The FRN models pack A LOT of utility into a thin, ultralight package...good choil, FFG, VG10 or ZDP 189, midlock...what's not to love. I wish an updated Caly, jr. with jimping and flat spine (like Caly 3.5) would be created.
As I have commented many times in the past. I love the Caly Jr. and hope for a future sprint to come to reality. I have my idea features, but any would work; jimping or none, flat spine or swedge, liners or not. The pattern was before my time so I can't speak to sales, but it certainly isn't underrated in my book.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

mikerestivo wrote:My list would include:

3. The brown Calypso sprint - I carry this as often as any in my collection. It's a big knife that carries small due to how thin it is. Great fit for my hands, with solid construction and tried-and-true locking mechanism. It's a terrific slicer with lots of cutting edge. I like the G-10 and the brown is actually not as gross as I thought it would be - I have actually come to like it. Perhaps it's because the micarta versions got more love, but I thought that the sprint run was overlooked. ...

I agree about the Calypso Sprint it's become my favorite knife. I'm sure there is something special about the unlined micarta calypsos but this is a great updated design. I recommend it to everyone who enjoys their caly 3/3.5.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

paladin wrote:I wish an updated Caly, jr. with jimping and flat spine (like Caly 3.5) would be created.
I don't know, Paladin... A Caly Jr. with jimping and a flat spine wouldn't be a Caly Jr. in my mind. These are two of my favorite qualities of this great knife - the third being the light-weight, unlined construction... Just my $0.02...

TedP
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

JD Spydo wrote:I have gone on record for many years now stating that the big C-44 full sized Dyad model is truly thee quintescential Spyderco model of them all. To me it is the ultimate EDC knife giving you the very best of both Spyder worlds.

For that reason I also believe that it is probably the most underrated and the most taken for granted model that Spyderco ever made.

There are other models that I also can make a case for. To me the Harpy and the Spyderhawk are very much overlooked and underrated models for their potential as far as being effective cutlery tools.

In the fixed blade category I still think that the original FB05 Temperance 1 model in both plain edge and Spyderedge are truly very much overlooked and underrated. I use both of mine almost on a daily basis and I won't shut up until they offer up the PE & SE Temperance 1 model in H-1 steel. Because with a yellow FRN handle and H-1 steel it has the potential of becoming the best hard use fixed blade in the entire industry.

Especially with this survival/prepper movement gaining steam the way it is. With H-1 steel you have a survivalists dream blade in both edges and corrosion resistance on top of it.

The most underrated and overlooked small folder Spyderco ever made is without a doubt the DODO in my opinion. But again I can't stress enough how much both variants of the original Dodo were so great to use. The Dodo is a beast of a cutter in plain edge and it is like a little badger in Spyderedge.

There are many of Spyderco's unique designs that are overlooked and underrated. And most of them have specific uses.
I love the Dodo and will never be without one in my collection, but I thought that the Dodo had a bigger fan following than the others you mention. The Dodo had enough popularity to merit 2 sprints in the past couple of years (the orange and CF versions). It's not appreciated by some of the non-believers out there but I always thought it got some grand love from most folks. Maybe I am overestimating it's popularity?

I would like to get my hands on a SE Dodo but timing has just not been right via the secondary market. If there is ever a SE Dodo return via a sprint, I will be all over it.

JD - I know you like hawkbills and SE knives - any thoughts on the Spyderhawk as being underrated?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah. Give me a folder and I can defeat the lock with enough abuse. If one knife survives more abuse than the next, that just means if you ever find a legit need to spine whack the crap out of something, then that's the knife for you. Apart from that, I don't see the M2 lock ever failing in any kind of use other than spine whacks, which are just silly anyway. If you need to spine whack something, you should've brought a fixed blade I guess, or pick up a stick or rock and use that instead. I suppose if you wanted to bad enough you could hammer a nail in with the spine of a knife but it would take a while and your aim has to be pretty good
Always good points from Evil. From a different perspective I have a take on that. Knowing Jim personally I couldn't help notice his forearm looks like he is related somehow to Popeye. I'd suggest that as decent and honorable as I know him to be, this ex marine could accidentally break some ....stuff...if he got a bit distracted during some overstrikes. If he got annoyed by something it would not last long even by accident. It might even be noticeable as a slight increase in cadence and velocity.

I'll watch it again sometime to check. :)

Jim, I'll stop bad talking you when you test the Cruwear Millie AND the mule for differences and post it. I'll buy the rope and give you the test subjects even.

:)
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I agree with JD on the original temperance. Great knife especially for the price. orks great in the kitchen the field and anywhere else. My Underappreciated knife is the Kris. No matter what knived i buy this always goes back in my pocket. It fits my hand well and i find it to be a great knife. Don't get me started on the manix 2. ;)
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Centofante 3 for me, love that knife. Bit of blade play now, however after using it for a long long time. Anyone else have the same?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mikerestivo wrote:
I would like to get my hands on a SE Dodo but timing has just not been right via the secondary market. If there is ever a SE Dodo return via a sprint, I will be all over it.

JD - I know you like hawkbills and SE knives - any thoughts on the Spyderhawk as being underrated?
Yes I do indeed believe that the original VG-10 Spyderhawk was very underrated. I'm not at all casting dispersions at the later H-1 version of this great blade because I've been carrying one this past week. But there was something really special about the original VG-10 black handled SE and the Blue PE Spyderhawk models. Most people tend to shy away from Hawkbills because they have never used them for what they were intended to be used for in the first place.

There are so many cutting jobs that serrated Hawkbills do so well and it surprises me that so few of people have given them a chance in their everyday work..

I also liked the Temp 1 fixed blade model so well because it is truly made for my hand as though it was custom made for me. Not to mention it's one of the very few outdoor type fixed blades that they made in full SE.

And I don't know for the life of me why they did these Sprints and didnt' even offer up a few of them in Spyderedge.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I know I am preachin to your choir, JD...but I have never held a full SE Ayoob or Dodo but both of those are grailish for me. Especially the Ayoob. I just know without even using them that they would both cut til the cows came home. If I ever procured a PE Ayoob, would Golden put a SE on it?
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

For me, the Bi-fold was underrated, and the Poliwog was underrated. I think the SPOT is also way underrated. I know that the Introvert will be underrated as well. These facts make me sad.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Pretty much every knife they discontinue I buy and think, "dang...if only people knew". Lately the Breeden Rescue fell into that along with the G10 Persian2's.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

How about the Vallotton? Aside from the questionable protruding liner lock tab this is at the top of my wish list (right below the cruwear mili I am holding out hope for). I don't hear a lot of noise about this on the forums, but this blade is both beautiful (or gorgeous depending on who you listen to) and wicked at the same time! I do have to agree with others though that it could have gone without the holes in the bolsters for tip down carry...I wonder if Sal really wanted one they could grab a pair of un-tapped bolsters prior to assembly for a one-off super spyder?