Spyderco Bug questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Scorpion wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Now, one last, semi-repetitive question. Would the number of NKP that react positively to the Bug and negatively to the Manbug be negligible, or not?
I guess that you would know your community best. I can say nobody reacts negatively to my para 2 here but that would mean nothing to you in your context.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

+ 1 its relative not just to your community but the environment and individuals and subjective eg somebody who knows me and saw me with a khukri in the woods would be secure and comfortable.
A stranger seeing a tattooed covered man with many scars maybe intimidated it almost comes across like a study on the psychology of nkp and the reaction to knives relative to size :D .
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

No one can really answer these questions. A lot of it has to do with how you present yourself, and how you behave. NKP are people, and therefore their actions can't be easily predicted.
:bug-red-white
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Ontario is a big big place. You talking Toronto or Wawa? The perception of "NKP" will vary from person to person so there is no 100% accurate response to your question.

I live here as well and carry a ladybug on my keys 99% of the time (unless it is prohibited like court). I also carry knives from this to the millie and have never had an issue with NKP or the law.

Not directing this to you specifically but attitude and maturity will be the primary factors you are judged on. The law is contstructed in such a way that you will risk arrest if you use anything as a weapon.

If you are worried about peoples reaction to a manbug or bug it is probably better you don't carry anything, and that is a hard thing to say from someone who has carried a pocket knife pretty much there entire life.

Good luck with your decision.
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

akaAK wrote:Ontario is a big big place. You talking Toronto or Wawa? The perception of "NKP" will vary from person to person so there is no 100% accurate response to your question.

I live here as well and carry a ladybug on my keys 99% of the time (unless it is prohibited like court). I also carry knives from this to the millie and have never had an issue with NKP or the law.

Not directing this to you specifically but attitude and maturity will be the primary factors you are judged on. The law is contstructed in such a way that you will risk arrest if you use anything as a weapon.

If you are worried about peoples reaction to a manbug or bug it is probably better you don't carry anything, and that is a hard thing to say from someone who has carried a pocket knife pretty much there entire life.

Good luck with your decision.
Ottawa. I will be at college most of the time. I personally don't see the Manbug as a problem, its more my parents who do. Even though I'm in college I live in their home and I'm under 18. Related, I have a rough green sharpening stone as well as a Henckels sharpening steel. Will these cover my needs or should I look into a pocket pal sharpener? Either way I realize I'll always miss my factory edge. :(
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With the exception of the Bug and usually a Ladybug I assume most city-folk will be either intrigued or terrified at the sight of a small knife. For that reason anytime I can use it discretely for lighter tasks I do so by only opening it slightly. If there is no way to avoid opening a folder in public I do it slowly with two hands and perform the job without looking for a reaction. I usually have common sense answers (non-defensive) loaded to the pending questions.

My father in-law looked at my Lava while opening Christmas presents and said, "Wow, looks like someone could use that do to alot of damage to someone."
I think I responded with, "I guess so; I don't think about hurting people so just use it to open boxes."

A 2" blade? Better send in S.W.A.T. and put the building on lock-down. :rolleyes: