Isn't It About Time: For a Fixed Blade Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Jazz wrote:That's what I was thinking, too.

The hawkbill would present a sheathing challenge, I figure. Would be a cool idea, though.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Frankly, I'm just excited for those knives, don't even care if a hawkbill is included or not.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah i still have visions of this VG10 wharnie fixie i keep hearing about...very very interested.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
angusW

Post by angusW »

Monkeywrangler wrote:I'd be interested--maybe a variation on the Mule concept? Sold without scales, so the user can make their own. Would keep costs down too.
That's a great idea but instead of using all of the steels that have been used in the past and present Mules maybe just sell it in some of the most popular steels like M390 or Elmax. I'm not sure how fast those sold but I get a HawkMule in those steels.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Kydex or Boltoron solve the sheathing challenge...
Slide the blade in following the curve, and withdraw the blade like greased lightning, with a direct and secure yank...
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I'm interested in the over-all idea, and agree with the suggestions of both larger and smaller sizes.

I like the shape of the Superhawk. It's a less extreme hawkbill. But.. By decreasing the angle from the hilt a few degress, it would increase the cutting potential while maintaining an easier to sharpen edge.. And that would suit me well.. Hawkbills are a tough task for me, usually..

As far as steels go, I'd want something tough, with an edge that lasts (duh :p ). I want edge retention in this. I'm not a steel nut though, so I don't really know what would be ideal.. I do know I love my M390 Millie and PM2.. So that's what I'm gonna go with. :)

But, I'd never go for FRN. I don't like it, never will. I don't say that to instigate anything, btw. It's just my own personal quirk.. One of many :)

Micarta, G10, wood.. Anything but FRN. It just feels like I'm holding.. nothing. Too light. Again, that's just my own personal preference.

I'm all-in for a 'HawkMule'. Fantastic idea :thumbsup:

Edit--

Forgot my suggestions for potential names:

-Peregrine (for a smaller version) (these birds are amazing!)

-Golden Eagle (for the larger one) (also, it would make more sense if it were made in Golden :) )
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

darkstar29 wrote:I'm interested in the over-all idea, and agree with the suggestions of both larger and smaller sizes.

I like the shape of the Superhawk. It's a less extreme hawkbill. But.. By decreasing the angle from the hilt a few degress, it would increase the cutting potential while maintaining an easier to sharpen edge.. And that would suit me well.. Hawkbills are a tough task for me, usually..

I'm all-in for a 'HawkMule'. Fantastic idea :thumbsup:

Edit--

Forgot my suggestions for potential names:

-Peregrine (for a smaller version) (these birds are amazing!)

-Golden Eagle (for the larger one) (also, it would make more sense if it were made in Golden :) )
Hey I like the "GOLDEN EAGLE" suggestion because it's high time that they made a Hawkbill at the GOLDEN CO Spyder Factory. I do sort of agree with you about it having the same blade angle as the Superhawk. It would sheath up a lot easier and like you said would sharpen easier as well. And the name Peregrine for the Smaller version is so apropos. Very good suggestions and I do hope they are listening.

And if a Hawkmule type project were to go underway then Golden CO USA would be the obvious choice. Not to mention using American steels like Crucible or Carpenter. With the exception of a possible H-1 version of course. Spyderco and Hawkbills go together like bacon and eggs. Thanks for the great suggestions and please people don't quit now.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JLS

Post by JLS »

Rwb1500 wrote:Frankly, I'm just excited for those knives, don't even care if a hawkbill is included or not.
Evil D wrote:Yeah i still have visions of this VG10 wharnie fixie i keep hearing about...very very interested.
I'm very excited for these as well. It's supposed to be 3 different blade shapes; I'm anxious to see what they are.
zackerty wrote:Kydex or Boltoron solve the sheathing challenge...
Slide the blade in following the curve, and withdraw the blade like greased lightning, with a direct and secure yank...
Exactly. Sheathing a hawkbill can also be treated the same as sheathing a recurved blade. Think Rock Salt/Schempp Rock, though I would prefer Kydex/Boltaron over the FRN sheaths we've seen on some knives.

On the whole though, I'm just not sure that there's enough market for a larger hawkbill fixed blade. I like my hawkbills plenty, but for me, they excel at a kind of cutting that I rarely do these days. I have 4 or 5 Spyderco hawkbill folders and I don't think I've used one in close to a year.

How many people are buying the Al Mar Backup 2? That's a production hawkbill with a AUS-8 blade and micarta handle. Perhaps the blade steel is hurting it; perhaps it's the extremely fine tip. But I don't think they've sold very well. It seems that fixed blades are a hard sell with regard to EDC. I'm an easy sell in that regard, but how many others are?
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

While I love a FFG blade, in a hawkbill that point can get too thinned out I think and result in snapped tips. I'd like to see a design that would reinforce the tip area. Also I prefer plain edges always, and I would be fine with a basic quality steel like s30v or s35vn to keep the price point down.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
JD Spydo

I do like Full Flat GRind but....

Post by JD Spydo »

Monkeywrangler wrote:While I love a FFG blade, in a hawkbill that point can get too thinned out I think and result in snapped tips. I'd like to see a design that would reinforce the tip area. Also I prefer plain edges always, and I would be fine with a basic quality steel like s30v or s35vn to keep the price point down.
Now I do agree with you on the Full Flat Grind>> however I"m having a problem with your take on plain edge only. Hawkbills just work far more efficiently for what they are basically designed for with a fully serrated edge IMO.

Now I do own some Hawkbills with a plain edge and use a couple of them on occasion but I do use my fully serrated versions much more. I have no problem with them offering up both variants at all.

There is something about a Hawkbill to where I think that a tool steel like D-2, M-4 or XHP would do much better in the long haul. But if they are going to do this project in the same manner as the MULE line then there will be many steels to choose from.

I would actually rather have VG-10 over S30V myself. But hey I'm open for discussion as to why you all think that would be better. Personally I don't mind paying a bit more for higher quality myself which is what drew me to Spyderco years ago in the first place.

I'm still not opposed to having one in the H-1 Salt Series but I do wish they would do a deluxe version with a top notch steel and a Micarta handle similar to the one on the STREETBEAT.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

What about a Schempp designed 5 inch hawkbill in S90V or M 390? How cool would that be?i think off the charts cool....
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

Mules with hawkbill blades would offer another kind of challenge for different steels: Stability of a very delicate point, and I would prefer SE only to compare spyderedged knives to PE in the same steel. Also a downward curved blade is considerably wider when sheathed so I would take something shorter, max. 3,5 inch blade.

Besides: As far as I know CRKT sell their Bear Claws in profitable numbers.

A toxc green G10 handled black 3 inch serrated blade Kydex sheathed and in CTS-XHP would be a hawkbill that would grab my attention. Screech owl could be the name for it as the screaming green handle and stealth blade would combine as weird as a bird of prey that is sub-dove-size.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

speedcut wrote:What about a Schempp designed 5 inch hawkbill in S90V or M 390? How cool would that be?i think off the charts cool....
As unique but yet useful as Ed Schempp's knife designs are I think that would truly be something that would draw a lot of interest. Not sure about the steel selection for an Ed Schempp design but that could certainly be worked out. Yeah I like this idea as well.

Like I said Ed Schempp has some of the most unusual designs but yet they are highly useful for many jobs. I would highly welcome one of his fixed blade Hawkbills. His blades also have handles that seem to fit me great most of the time. I would sure like to hear his voice on this one.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If the blade was only slightly curved, the sheath might not be that much of an issue.
My vote is for SE H1, or PE D2. G10 handles would be nice, but FRN is ok too. Velociraptor is a good name. What about camo G10 and call it the ChameleonHawk? Or red G10 and call it the Red-tail?
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hi JD ! Count me in for a fixed Hawkbill , love to see a project of this type with Forum input . Regards MG2 Mr.Merlin says Hi !
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

In Daywalker's hand...5 inch or so blade...

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/attachme ... 1145442810
JD Spydo

One of the old Hawkbill gang & Mr. Merlin

Post by JD Spydo »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Hi JD ! Count me in for a fixed Hawkbill , love to see a project of this type with Forum input . Regards MG2 Mr.Merlin says Hi !
Of course you're signed up for a fixed blade Hawkbill Manix Guy :D

And how could I possibly forget Mr. Merlin :cool:

Yeah it's time we go beyond folders with the bent bladed beasts :cool:

A fixed bladed version of the Superhawk would be just fine by me but I'm willing to hear what the rest of the Spyderville citizenry has to say about it before I cast my final vote.

Hey Manix Guy it's great to see one of the old gang again. Now if we could get the Imperial Master of all Hawkbills i.e. Dr. Hannibal Lecter to chime in I'll feel that the thread is definitely on course for sure.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I'd love to have one in SE and one in PE!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skatenut wrote:I'd love to have one in SE and one in PE!
My good friend Skatenut forgot to mention "jimping" on the back of that Spyderedged blade ;)

Also my friend you didn't say which handle material you want or even what type of sheath you would recommend :D

But the Hawkbill crowd is indeed coming out of the woodwork :cool:

Just think about it for a second>> just imagine the immense leverage you could get from using a "fixed blade Hawkbill". For those of you who actually work with a Hawkbill blade this could be the cure to many perceived problems that folders sometime have.

A G-10 handle would be great for work purposes as well as ease of maintenance. But indeed "Now Is The Time: For A New Hawkbill" and NOW is more than ever the time for a fixed blade version too.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Very perceptive to remind me about jimping, thank you, JD! :D
A clear case of why "think twice, post once" is recommended but unfortunately not always followed!

Ok, jimping on the thumb-ramp, G-10 handle, S30V blade, kydex or boltaron sheath, set up for left or right side carry.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think it should be in H1. It's gonna get used. It should also be as curved as the Tasman - if it's gonna be a hawkbill, it should be 100% hawkbill. SE H1 is awesome.

- best wishes, Jazz.