Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:49 bugs and a tenacious. ;)
I'd still be impressed. ;)
bonesmalones

Post by bonesmalones »

I just received a Manix2 XL that I consider excellent. Outstanding materials, fit and finish that can't be beat and at a price that anyone can afford. It doesn't get better than that. Oh, and I showed it off to my friends at work today. A couple of them wanted to know where I picked it up. Seems they were impressed too.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:So to clarify you're looking for the ones that Ooo and Ahhh? If that's the case I'm thinking exotic materials and interesting blade shapes.

Just a few:
Vallatton
Navajah
Lionspy
Sage 1/2/4
Gayle Bradley
Phoenix
PPT
Zulu (maybe)
Shabaria (maybe)
Persian and Mini Persian Micarta

upcoming

Szabo
Techno
plus some others I can't recall.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Also the Damascus Delica / Endura.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
casey1

Post by casey1 »

have you tried the nutnfancy tenacious?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

lamorack, to clarify I used to be one of those guys that liked to show off his cool knife to a few guys whom wouldn't know a quality tool with detailed craftsmanship if it cut their finger off. I had (have) the Microtechs and MODs, the higher end CS and BM, even the unusual Mcusta and Xikar. All received plenty of ohhhs and ahhhs when I whipped them out, but thats not the real reason for awe when it comes to a blade!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

casey1 wrote:have you tried the nutnfancy tenacious?
Oh man... You owe me a new Apple Wireless Keyboard (and they ain't cheap), because I just spit vodka and cranberry juice all over this one. :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

:D lol!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You opened up a can o' worms here. My top 10 list (if I have one) are all Spydies. They're all gorgeous, very ergonomic, and work well.

- best wishes, Jazz.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

spydercos arent for everyone

only the chosen
Clip

Post by Clip »

To each his own. Just means more for me!

And yeah lam, I'd love to see pics of your entire collection!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

lmao!
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

maa14 wrote:this is what I was thinking
+2
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

RIOT wrote:spydercos arent for everyone

only the chosen
Good one!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:You opened up a can o' worms here. My top 10 list (if I have one) are all Spydies. They're all gorgeous, very ergonomic, and work well.

- best wishes, Jazz.
So, I expect we'll see a "slicing tomatoes at work with an awesome Spyderco" video sometime soon?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Depends on what you want, looks or function. I've never liked the hole very much, and the blade shape that the hole often requires can leave me cold, but if you care about cutting power per dollar spent, you can't beat Spyderco. An engineer's dream, an interior decorator's nightmare. Different strokes.

Gordon
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

somebody needs a ppt.......... that thing looks like and feels like a semi custom :D
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I'm thrilled the OP used a car reference involving The Nissan GT-R. Because I am the proud owner of one (2013). And it is a beast. There is NOTHING more satisfying than beating a European exotic to the end of the 1320. And I'm in a NISSAN. Haha. Especially when they paid at least double what I did.

In dealing with knives , as well as with sports cars , performance does all the talking. Spyderco has the winning combination of quality , craftsmanship , style , performance and value. To me Spyderco is untouchable. But to each his own I guess.

On a side note : This past weekend I had the pleasure of humiliating a 458 Italia at a set of lights on the way home from a car show. His driving was rude and aggressive with his bright yellow paint and chrome rims. Revving at me for a reaction and (obviously) attention. I sat still and unimpressed in my subtle black on black GT-R idling waiting for the light to turn green. And when it did my AWD and intercooled boost left that fool sitting at the light frustrated spinning his tires because he didn't know how to launch properly. And he became just a spec in my rear view mirror.

I bet he had some high end custom knife in his pocket too. As I drove home with my Sage4 in mine.
lamorak

Post by lamorak »

OK, to reply to a few of you, in order of the original comments:

@phillipsted
My most used knife is the Foliage Green Urban: lightweight, compact and legal where I'm located, alternatively I carry a UK Penknife, a Squeak or a Victorinox Cadet. I also have a Leatherman Juice with me, but it doesn't get out of the bag really often.

Week-ends and vacations, depending on activities, I usually have a combination of Tasman Salt / Salt I or my Atlantic Salt plus a fixed blade ESEE Izula, Vox Rhino, or Fallkniven F1.

@mikerestivo, jabba359
Spyderco makes great knives, I'm using and possessing enough of them to know it. It is my second recommend brand when asked for advice on a knife purchase. My main issue is that I have a lot of time the impression that there is just a small bit missing to make a great knife an excellent one. For example the Vallotton Sub-Hilt Folder could use a bit of extra care when the tip is grinded (the 3 I've seen do have 2 to 4 mm of difference where the tip start), or a bit of extra testing could have detected problems developing with the edge of the Squeak (when pressed, the edge touches the back spring and rolls the edge, and a number of them where delivered with a rolled edge, mine included).

I fully admit that taste and looks are primary driver of my choice, but fit and finish is probably more important for me, and value still plays a significant role. And here, in Europe, it isn't unusual to see a Spyderco sprint run between 250 and 300 USD, when a Sebenza can be found for a bit over 450 USD.

@Evil D
The Victorinox Cadet in Blue is in my top 10 list for several reason: you can carry it, with a few exception, in every country, and they do not scare non knife people; the blue anodizing is really top of the line, and blue is one of my favorite colors; I never had a Victorinox knife with a quality issue; they are some of the greatest value knives you can get.

@bh49
The only Kopa I had a chance to handle was in a bad shape and costing way too much. I never had a chance to see any of the others you suggested.

@JD Spydo
Speaking of the two suggested sprint run, I happen to possess both the Massad Ayood and the Lum Tanto. The Massad Ayood is a great knife, but doesn't fit my hand that nicely and I tend to preffer tip up carry. The Lum tanto is also a great knife, but missing a bit of jimping on the top to add that extra bit of control, and the tip grinding is slightly of center on mine, not a lot but it bothers me :( , Guess I'm a bit anal about fit and finish at least for the tip. I have to say that it's one of the smoothest opening spydies I have, up there with the Sage 3 and the Manix 2.

@Donut
I tend to like small knives: great engineering in a small package is always attractive to me.

@dbcad
Innovation at Spyderco is effectively one of the primary attractor to the brand.

@Blerv
I have to try the Lionspy, I'm just a bit wary of the quality control at Lionsteel, and will need to have on in hand before buying one especially considering the price. I definitively have the Sage series, the GB, and Techno on my shopping list. I was a bit disappointed by the PPT after handling it (even the custom version from Sasha Thiel).

@jtoler_9
I definitively show spydercos, probably the coolest for show is the T-Mag. But I show them for the innovative and practical aspects, not for the show me your highest rated knives.

@casey1
No nutnfancy tenacious for me :p

@xceptnl
There is two aspects that I appreciate in knives: the practical/user aspect, and the engineering aspect. Knives are probably one of the best demonstration of human ingenuity, we are using them for millions of year and we are still finding ways to improve and perfect them.

@Jazz
It seems so.

@Wolwerine666
:)

My current list (and it looks like I have 51 :spyder: :) ):
  • C10F Endura4 Flat Ground FRN Purple
  • C11F Delica4 Flat Ground FRN Blue
  • C11GYW Delica4 Emerson Opener
  • C11JBO Delica Damascus
  • C28YL2 Dragonfly2 Salt
  • C36BNXHP Military Brown CTS-XHP
  • C39P&SBG Dyad Jr.
  • C41BK Native FRN
  • C46GGY Lum Tanto
  • C60G Massad Ayoob
  • C65 Lum Chinese Green Spyderedge
  • C75ST3 Kiwi3 Stag Handle
  • C80GOR Orange Dodo
  • C83GRD Persian Red
  • C88YL Salt I Yellow Straight Edge
  • C89YL Atlantic Salt Yellow
  • C90BK Stretch FRN Black Spyderedge
  • C94CF UK Penknife Carbon Fiber
  • C94FRN UK Penknife Lightweight Leaf Shape Blue
  • C94FRN3 UK Penknife Lightweight Drop Point Black Semi-serated
  • C94FRN3 UK Penknife Lightweight Drop Point Blue
  • C94GOR2 UK Penknife Rescue Orange
  • C94OR2 UK Penknife FRN Rescue
  • C94TI UK Penknife Titanium
  • C98G Poliwog G10
  • C101BD30P2 Manix2 CTS-BD30P
  • C104 Kris
  • C106YL Tasman Salt Yellow Spyderedge
  • C108 Bi-Fold
  • C109BKP S Black
  • C113CF Caly3 Carbon Fiber
  • C115CFP T-Mag
  • C121 Embassy
  • C122G Tenacious Spyderedge
  • C123GBL Sage3
  • C127FG Urban Slipit Foliage Green
  • C127OR Urban Slipit Orange
  • C131 Terzuola Slipit
  • C133 Bug
  • C141CF Balance Carbon Fiber
  • C147CF Navaja Carbon Fiber
  • C148G Ambitious
  • C149G Vallotton Sub-Hilt Folder
  • C154BK Squeak
  • FB18P Hossom Woodlander
  • FB22BK Caspian2 Salt
  • JGGY Jester
  • LBK3 Ladybug3 Black
  • LPR3 Ladybug3 Purple
  • LSS3T Ladybug3 Tattoo
  • LYL3HB Ladybug3 Hawkbill Salt
:spyder: count: 50, first: Atlantic Salt, latest: Dodo, edc: Urban, waiting for: Techno
Donut

Post by Donut »

The S, you don't like to show people?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd say this is one of those situations where you have your taste for something and nobody can tell you different. To me, a SAK is a disposable knife. It's a knife i'd scrape a head gasket with if i couldn't find my scraper. They're not junk by any means, but they're just not even in the same ball park, not even the same sport as Spyderco, so we'll agree to disagree on that one.

As for your list it looks like you've got some pretty heavy hitters in there. If you haven't found anything excellent in that list yet, you probably never will and Spyderco may not be what you're looking for. You do have mostly what i'd call "standard issue" or "base model" knives in that list, like all the FRN knives and all those UK's and Ladybugs, but you do have a Vollotton and you do have a Navaja, which are two of the nicer knives to come out recently so if those aren't excellent for you then i'd stick with the SAK.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David