Knife when running & sweating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Tasman Salt +1

Keep in mind though that the hawkbill blades would be poor "stabbers". They are definitely slashing blades. My 2 cents...
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

I just got a Matriarch 2 and it seems to have just one purpose. I can't imagine wearing it while jogging.

My Salt I is smaller, lighter, rust resistant, has a great clip, and makes a fine emergency blade. The yellow handles give it a nice, friendly look and are easier to find if dropped.

When I'm out exercising, I'm not looking for anything else from a folder.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
BAL

Post by BAL »

Ruger LCP.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

My Military does just fine when I am drenched in sweat.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Enkidude wrote:Tasman Salt +1

Keep in mind though that the hawkbill blades would be poor "stabbers". They are definitely slashing blades. My 2 cents...
Agreed but skin is skin opposed to hard substances. If you turn a hawkbill at a 45% angle it penetrates pretty easy and deep.

I only have tried this on plastic bottles though :) .
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Blerv is right, If you have a negative angled hawk like a tasman or spyderhawk pointed so that the tip is pointed directly into a material ( handle angled down toward you) it can penetrate in a big way.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

H1 Spyderhawk or H1 Dragonfly. Either way = light weight & rust free.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Sht

Post by Sht »

If you really want it to double as SD blade I'd say spyderhawk for sure. But anything H1 will get the job done.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

I have rusted up several S30V Spydies while trail running, so a Pac Salt is my latest choice.
I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

i bring my H1 D'fly every time to the gym (ya i literally don't go anywhere without a knife) and on every run. Its perfect for inside the waist band and you cant even feel it. It can be useful in self defense if ever needed... the delica size would be the largest i would go for exercise carry
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I will recommend the Dragonfly Salt and the Military. The latter will require a quick clean up and should be fine afterwards.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Keep in mind the realities of defending yourself while jogging.

Your heart rate will already be way up, you'll be tired, and, most important consideration of all, your attaker will have to be pretty desperate/depraved, as there is no financial incentive to attack you- after all, who jogs with a wallet full of cash?

In that type of scenario, you want as an effective a tool as possible, that can be deployed using gross motor skills, and can be used very quickly in a crude, hit and run fashion. And it should weigh under 4oz's- anything heavier will drag down most pairs of basketball shorts, which is what I typically run in.

The best two options are the Endura Wave, and the Spyderhawk. The wave opens as quickly as a fixed blade, while the large blade/smooth lock of the spyderhawk allows it to be opened in a gross motor, kinectic wrist flick. Both feature blades that are well suited to the task, although my personal jogging preference is now the Spyderhawk.

The spyderhawk, much like the C60 Massad Ayoob, thrusts very well with a straight wrist- similar in motion and stability to throwing a punch. This photo does not fully capture it, but doing some basic testing and evaluation against boxes it works very well.

In my opinion, the ideal knife for jogging (and pretty much any other high stress SD scenario) would be a waved Spyderhawk salt. With a black handle, I think that would sell pretty well in certain circles, as a more functional combat karambit and weapons retention tool.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

mark greenman wrote:Keep in mind the realities of defending yourself while jogging.

Your heart rate will already be way up, you'll be tired, and, most important consideration of all, your attaker will have to be pretty desperate/depraved, as there is no financial incentive to attack you- after all, who jogs with a wallet full of cash?

I'm commenting on the lack of cash while jogging. I don't care. I'll jump you, beat you down and take the knives you joggers are carrying. I may not have to pay for another knife. :D I will make sure to carry a well stocked first aid kit with me though. :eek:

Jack
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mark greenman wrote:Keep in mind the realities of defending yourself while jogging.

True, but unlike their two legged counterparts, four legged animals aren't after your cash, credit cards, or fashionable sneakers and, in many areas, are a more likely threat.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BSBG

Post by BSBG »

The Deacon wrote:True, but unlike their two legged counterparts, four legged animals aren't after your cash, credit cards, or fashionable sneakers and, in many areas, are a more likely threat.
I concur, then you have to deal with the irate owner. I have had people chase me for yelling at their dog who was chasing me, just imagine if I had actually touched their precious out of control pooch.
I have too many expensive hobbies to even consider another one.
JT

Post by JT »

Tasman Salt clipped inside the waistband works for me.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

mark greenman wrote: In my opinion, the ideal knife for jogging (and pretty much any other high stress SD scenario) would be a waved Spyderhawk salt. With a black handle, I think that would sell pretty well in certain circles, as a more functional combat karambit and weapons retention tool.
Emerson's combat karambit seems just about perfect but, like all Emerson knives, is insanely expensive for what you get. It would be nice if Spyderco would build a waved combat karambit like Emerson's - except with Spyderco's fit, finish, and premium materials. Spyderco would also sell it at a reasonable price, not scalper prices.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BSBG wrote:I concur, then you have to deal with the irate owner. I have had people chase me for yelling at their dog who was chasing me, just imagine if I had actually touched their precious out of control pooch.
That is so true!

I like to believe dogs are more "bark than bite" so would be tempted to face one down. Unless it's a 150 pound rot (or something), most people have a pretty good chance. "Here doggie, bite my arm! *punch*"

For people who are smaller, older, or generally don't feel like boxing with a quadruped I would carry Pepper Spray or a Taser.
BAL

Post by BAL »

http://www.smartcarry.com/

Here is another alternative. The Smart Carry holster. I know, I know, at first you
think that it is a silly idea, carrying a gun or knife in that location. However, once
you get used to wearing the holster, you don't even know that it is there.
You can carry a gun, mag, knife and the security model has a back pocket that
can hide money etc.

I just thought that I would point this out as an option.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Neck knife carry? This seems to already be a love it or hate it carry option. I don't jog so don't know how it would be while running. But, it is out there for all to see and may deter would-be attackers. It's definately easy to get to.

Jack