YOUR favorite lock. Please tell why.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which is your favorite lock? Even non-Spyderco locks.

Liner lock (Walker)
13%
Frame lock (RIL)
9%
Bolt action lock
1%
Back lock
15%
Compression lock
44%
Arc-Lock (SOG)
No votes
Axis lock
9%
Non-locking (just being thorough)
1%
Other
8%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 246

kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:If anyone else wants to vote for a BBL or CBBL (I don't know the difference), please use the first "other" choice. If I find out how I'll put the BBL there.

Jack
You know your Manix, Jack. That's a CBBL. Look at the new orange Dodo. It has a larger ball and no cage.

Ken
玉鋼
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kbuzbee wrote:You know your Manix, Jack. That's a CBBL. Look at the new orange Dodo. It has a larger ball and no cage.

Ken
Does CBBL = Caged Ball Bearing Lock?

If so, I learned something today. Can I go back to bed now? :)

Jack
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:Does CBBL = Caged Ball Bearing Lock?

If so, I learned something today. Can I go back to bed now? :)

Jack
Yes, exactly. Sorry about that. I get too caught up in acronyms sometimes ;)

Go back to sleep, Jack ;)

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I chose the liner lock. For some reason I have always liked it despite the fact that it is not always the most lefty friendly. However, when it is done like it was in the GB I will always choose that one.

I do like the compression lock...but only if it were put on the other side of the knife.
On the hunt for...
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

I voted for the RIL. It may not be the strongest lock, but I just love elegance and simplicity of something like a Sage 2 or Sebenza.
beatlman87

Post by beatlman87 »

I think the back lock is the best lock. I have a sage 2 and its not "hard" to close, but it doesnt feel near as easy as the back lock on say my endura. I also like the fact that you can really hold the knife a lot more securely while pressing in a back lock with your thumb one handed, compression locks, not so much (really just holding on with fingertips)
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Axis lock. Easy to use with one hand. Extremely smooth opening and closing.

I know the ball bearing lock on the Maxis is SOMEWHAT similar, but it is just too stiff, otherwise I'd have a Manix with me by now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I prefer the compression lock for a variety of reasons.
Strong
Unique design and conversation piece
Can easily open & close using just the lock

I do like backlocks but by design they are never going to be as effortless to open and close as a few other locks.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

SpydieFan wrote:Axis lock. Easy to use with one hand. Extremely smooth opening and closing.

I know the ball bearing lock on the Maxis is SOMEWHAT similar, but it is just too stiff, otherwise I'd have a Manix with me by now.
Never seen an Axis lock but read about them. I need to pull both buttons back on the Manix2 with the CBBL. Can the Axis lock be released with only the thumb? THAT would make the CBBL much more desirable. I had a SOG with the Arc-lock and you could use only your thumb and not worry about the other button. It was there though for a left handed person. Great design except for one thing.

Jack
Random Dan

Post by Random Dan »

jackknifeh wrote:Never seen an Axis lock but read about them. I need to pull both buttons back on the Manix2 with the CBBL. Can the Axis lock be released with only the thumb? THAT would make the CBBL much more desirable. I had a SOG with the Arc-lock and you could use only your thumb and not worry about the other button. It was there though for a left handed person. Great design except for one thing.

Jack
The axis can be used just fine only pulling on one side. IMHO it is a bit more refined than the CBBL.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jackknifeh wrote:Either hand. I didn't even think of that. A very big deal for lefties I'm sure.

Jack
Only in the sense that there are fewer lefty version of the handed locks. IMHO hand neutral is always better than handed, so full ambidexterity should be a consideration for everyone purchasing a knife. At the very least, knives that are "wrong hand" hostile should be avoided. You can never tell when you'll be deprived of the use of your favored hand. If that happens, you'll already be dealing with reduced dexterity, exacerbating that with a design that's lefty (or righty) hostile just seems silly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:Never seen an Axis lock but read about them. I need to pull both buttons back on the Manix2 with the CBBL. Can the Axis lock be released with only the thumb? THAT would make the CBBL much more desirable. I had a SOG with the Arc-lock and you could use only your thumb and not worry about the other button. It was there though for a left handed person. Great design except for one thing.

Jack
I have an axis on my Ritter M4. It's fine. Some people have problems with that spring breaking. Mine never has, but I don't carry it much.

I can close the CBBL CF Manix with only my thumb. Much more difficult with some of my other CBBLs. BBLs on the other hand close with only my thumb very easily. Better than an axis IMO.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's a toss up between compression lock and CBBL but i'll vote compression lock since the CBBL doesn't come on my favorite knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Compression lock for me, one of Spyderco's strongest, and the easiest to close and open one handed, also you can just do it in one movement (disengaging the lock and letting the blade fall closed) instead of disengaging the lock the readjusting to get your hand or fingers out of the way like you have to with most other locks (back lock, liner lock, frame lock, etc) This can be done with the BBL and Axis, but the hand has to be placed more awkwardly IMO to close it, the pinching of the compression is easier.
angusW

Post by angusW »

Liner lock and compression lock:

-They are both strong
-For the most part easy to use with the left hand. (Can't operate the lock on the Navaja with my left hand)
-Not closed off so they are easy to clean
-Less fiddly parts to break and make the lock useless
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jossta

Post by jossta »

Voted frame or liner lock. Theoretically I like the comp lock, but I don't like the way it feels opening and closing and 5 of the 8 Paras I've had have been too wiggly for my liking.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Jack
Yeah it can... but I choose to use two fingers, thumb and pointer, to operate it... juts easier for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Axis is, for my EDC purposes, the best lock available.

The CBBL is too stiff. (I actually prefer the original BBL to CBBL, but I recognize the benefits of the cage for knives like the Manix)
The Compression lock isn't quite as comfortable an action in my hand, though it's pretty darn close.

At the end of the day, though, there are more factors than just the lock. Add the hole-opening system to the compression lock, and you beat any thumb-stud opener. Add Spyderco's attention to engineering and steel heat-treatment, and you've got the best knives out there. Para2 M390 is as close as it gets to perfection at the moment, though I'm eager for something with a bit more blade in the compression lock with super-steel.
Even though I don't really like the midlock enough to choose it over any of the others, quite a few of my favourite knives use it: Caly 3.5, Large Persian, Spyderhawk, Lava. Same for liner/framelocks: Rock Lobster, Military, Cricket, Sage2.

Sometimes I think Spyderco deliberately randomizes locks, features, and steels just to keep me buying more knives... ;)
—Daniel Jackson
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Compression lock, Reeve Integral lock, or Walker Liner lock.

For the simple reason that they are easy to keep clean and free of sand and dirt etc. I work in remote wilderness areas and sometimes in sandy environments. I have found that backlocks just don't work for me at these times because dirt and sand get into the action and drive me nuts. I don't really mind back locks if I can keep them clean, I appreciate the thin profile they allow in a knife design.

A well built simple knife with flow through pillar construction and a simple liner or frame spring is the best in my experience. I only rate the compression lock slightly above the others because it is by nature just going to be stronger than the others, although I don't see myself ever using my knives in a way to make a liner or frame lock fail.

My 2 cents.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My favorite by FAR is the uncaged Ball Bearing Lock.

It's strong and one-hand operable if you use your thumb nail. It's very smooth an IMHO the most aestheticially beautiful of all locks.