Sal, can we please get a FRN Lava please???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Lava in FRN or G10?

Yes!!
75%
No :(
25%

Total votes: 159

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Eyeguy,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Moeman,

As mentioned, the subject has come up a time or two. The cost for FRN tooling is quite high, especially in Japan where the Yen is stronger than the dollar by a fair amount. We have to have confidence that a model will sell for quite a while before we tool up FRN molds. While the Lava is an unusual design, I question whether or not it would carry the volume long enough to support the investment of FRN tooling.

To make a lockback with G-10, it would require liners to support the pins and clip screws. I guess we can discuss the possibility. Most of Chad's designs from Boker are fairly inexpensive. Not sure how a costly Lava would do?

sal
moeman

Post by moeman »

dialex wrote:Steve (STR) used to make a few mods of the Lava. They are looking good:

[ATTACH]19856[/ATTACH]
Thanks dialex! I have asked Steve, and about 5 other modder's if they would do one for me, and they all said NO thank you :(

(BTW, I carry your Junior EVERYDAY! thank you)

Hi Sal,
Thank you for stepping in! I was afraid that would be the case. But I can hope and dream. And maybe pester a little...
While I cannot say it would be the most popular model, I do think it would sell. Once you feel one in your hands....

Chris
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Well, it probably wouldn't cost more than a NIB ss model. They are really starting to get up there now. I'd LOVE a G10 Lava, or maybe something different, like micarta scales laid into the SS. Kinda like having mini stainless bolsters with a slab of textured (or not) micarta or G10 or wood between them.

The Lava is in my top two or three must get knives.
eyeguy08

Post by eyeguy08 »

Hi Mr. Glesser,

Thanks for the greeting. I just turned 30 and have been collecting spydercos for about a decade (a friend in undgrad turned me on to spyderco) Throughout school years I had been able to pick up a knife here and there when money would permit but I did miss out on some very cool blades. Now that I'm finally part of the workforce I can afford to to purchase the knives that I like when they first come to market. A lava would be a great knife to own however I definietly understand that it must financially make sense for spyderco. Either way there are some great spyderco knives on the horizon and I look forward to expanding my collection!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I LOOOOOOOOOVE the lava, I would buy one
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal, would it be possible to make an unlined G-10 version of the Lava using a wire clip?

I'm thinking that since it worked for the UKPK and Urban, it might work for a midlock and might keep the cost at least a bit more reasonable. I'd agree the Lava will never be a "mass market best seller", but I do think that the "afis" who are attracted to it can see the difference in quality between it and the models Chad designed for Boker and be willing to pay for that difference.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thelock

Post by thelock »

Hi Sal,

I think this knife needs to be brought back :) I think the g10 version would sell well, since the only reason that kept me back from buying this one was the stainless steel construction. Maybe move it over to Taiwan and use S30V!?
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Paul,

If the knife were to have a lock, as opposed to the "Slipits", I would feel better with a liner to secure pivot pins for the lock. The wire clip would work on a "Slipit" model without liners, but long term, I think the liner, made to close tolerances would "move" less than a composite material. It guess it might be considered a "negative" in the world of business, but we have to believe that we're making it the best possible way, even if it adds cost.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

thelock wrote:Hi Sal,

I think this knife needs to be brought back :) I think the g10 version would sell well, since the only reason that kept me back from buying this one was the stainless steel construction. Maybe move it over to Taiwan and use S30V!?
Hi Lock,

We don't like to "move" a model from one maker to another. Kinda a loyalty thing, call it giri. We did more the Kiwi to China to make a Slipit version, but we'l still make Kiwi's with the original maker.

sal
thelock

Post by thelock »

I understand.

Thanks, Sal!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

So are you saying that the G-10 around the pivots would eventually wear out? I guess I'm just still not sure why it's ok with a slipit, but not a back lock knife?
moeman

Post by moeman »

The lock back puts more pressure on the blade, which in turn puts more pressure on the pivot. I can see the logic behind liners for this knife. It IS a little BIG knife :)

Edit: just realized I said the same thing twice...
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'd definitely buy a G-10 Lava, even if it were more expensive. Something like the STR mod shown in the thread above is just perfect. I really like the size and design and carry my SS model occasionally. I'd carry it much more frequently if it had handle scales other than the sometimes slippery SS. I've been looking at the Techno as a possible carry replacement for my Lava, thinking that the Ti handles would be a bit more grippy. But it's hard to beat the ergos of the Lava for a knife that size. And with G-10, even better! That said, a Lava with FRN or CF scales has far less appeal (well, maybe textured CF). But thanks, Sal, for considering and for the insider discussion of the production technicalities.
sal

Post by sal »

redyps04 wrote:So are you saying that the G-10 around the pivots would eventually wear out? I guess I'm just still not sure why it's ok with a slipit, but not a back lock knife?
It would probably work unlined, but in my opinion, it would work better with a thin, skeletonized liner. We've made a few models in the past as unlined G-10 lock-backs, and long term looks do present some questions. Think 20 years.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Hi Paul,

If the knife were to have a lock, as opposed to the "Slipits", I would feel better with a liner to secure pivot pins for the lock. The wire clip would work on a "Slipit" model without liners, but long term, I think the liner, made to close tolerances would "move" less than a composite material. It guess it might be considered a "negative" in the world of business, but we have to believe that we're making it the best possible way, even if it adds cost.

sal
Understood Sal, thanks for explaining the logic. Figured there was probably something I wasn't considering, or you'd have mentioned unlined G-10 as an option, just had to be sure.
sal wrote:We did more the Kiwi to China to make a Slipit version, but we'l still make Kiwi's with the original maker.

sal
OMG, Sal, please tell me that means what I'm praying it means. :D
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

The Deacon wrote: OMG, Sal, please tell me that means what I'm praying it means. :D
Don't know what you're praying for, but I can say the next Kiwi is the 3" version(s).

sal
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

sal wrote:Don't know what you're praying for, but I can say the next Kiwi is the 3" version(s).

sal
BIGGER kiwi!! :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Count me in for a bigger Kiwi!! Been really loving my little slipit...a locking one that is bigger. Oh _____ _____ yes!!
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Don't know what you're praying for, but I can say the next Kiwi is the 3" version(s).

sal
Ah well, can't win 'em all, although that's a pretty darn good consolation prize. :)
Paul
sal

Post by sal »

trigger fingers