janich vs. keating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Post by markg »

I have trained with Mike Janich on three occasions. He is a talented instructor, with a razor sharp wit (pun intended). I have never had the chance to train with Mr. Keating, however I know he is equally well regarded.

If you are refering to "designers" I think in the end Mr. Janich will be more "prolific." When he talks about stuff, you notice he speaks with a natural sense of mechanics and design. Given his new position with Blackhawk, he has a leg up on design and manufacturing of knives.

Who would win in a fight? Um... I won't even go there...
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

It's not uncommon for great technicians to come up with questionable knife designs, just look at Wagner's Reality-Based Blade to see what I mean. Janich & Keating are two great instructors who put together really solid designs, based on their differing ideas of defensive knifework. I've only trained with Janich, who teaches a great class. But my defensive knifework now has more in common with Keating's, and the Chinook would match my needs better ... on the other hand, Janich's pakal fixed blade looks pretty interesting.

If either Janich or Keating even dream of beating Chuck Norris, they'd better wake up and apologize.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hey what Joe said!!! but remember if Steven Segal ever took the stick out from up his A$$. :eek: ...he'd be another force to reckon with..... :eek: Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

janich and keating both would MAUL chuck norris! YES I SAID MAUL!!!!!
myspace

ATC

:spyder: meshmdz :spyder:
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

bah not again...you guys got me craving a chinook. Thanks a lot :mad: :p
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

spydermdz wrote:screw norris, superman, and whoever you all said.

thanks to those who actually responded to the topic on the thread... oh yea and i find it funny that a guy with a name on here of "NINJA" makes comments about superheroes fighting... funny.
Did you even read my post??? :confused: Did I ever "make comments about superheroes fighting???" :confused: :D :rolleyes:
Have a good night, and learn how to read!!!
Seriously! :eek:
Maybe these guy's read the posts, and don't want to read about "who would win between them, in a knife fight?" :p :rolleyes:
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

spydermdz wrote:janich and keating both would MAUL chuck norris! YES I SAID MAUL!!!!!
That's because you have no clue!!!
-Bruce Lee-

-Joe
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

BlackNinja wrote:Did you even read my post??? :confused: Did I ever "make comments about superheroes fighting???" :confused: :D :rolleyes:
Have a good night, and learn how to read!!!
Seriously! :eek:
Maybe these guy's read the posts, and don't want to read about "who would win between them, in a knife fight?" :p :rolleyes:
Ha-ha, I noticed that aswell but felt like letting you point it out. ;)
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

[quote="Capt. Carl"]Ha-ha, I noticed that aswell but felt like letting you point it out. ]
Thanks, Carl! :D LOL! :D Never even read my post! :D
-Bruce Lee-

-Joe
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

ninja, dont forget your cammo and knives, CCW badge, boonie cap... those mall boys need someone to be fearful of... ;) all hail the Black Mall Ninja!

LMAO
myspace

ATC

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Spydermdz - no need to get belligerant when someone makes light of your post, you left yourself open for that kind of response. Pointing out that someone with "Ninja" in their name should not mock your post is ironic when you have a link to your blog that has a long "How To" discussion on how to respond in a Police encounter. Think out some of your posts more and do some research on your subjects more.

That out of the way, on to the constructive part.

James Keating's designs compared to Michael Janich's designs is Apples to Oranges. Janich is heavily influenced by Phillipino & Asian martial art styles. Keating has the same Phillipino influence but he is also influenced by American Bowie styles. The Chinook is a good example of the Bowie influence. I actually saw early sketched out prototypes back at the 95 Riddle of Steel. I had forgotten about it when Spyderco came out with it as Mr. Keating first made a design with Masters of Defense called the Hornet. By coincidence Mr. Janich also had a design by MOD too. The first design I ever saw by Mr. Keating was a custom fixed blade that use to be offered by Bob Dozier called the Crossada . It was a beautiful fixed blade designed around 1 thing - Knife combatives. Guard that was a Blade catcher, Spanish notch, a Cross Guard, Sharpened False Edge for Backcuts, 12" or more Blade of D2 steel, and Micarta handles. It was a beast. A lot of Mr. Janich's knives strike me as a secondary weapon to supplement a firearm. Easy to carry, quick to access, and Utility (seems to like the wharneclife blade) blades. This might be from his background in the Intelligence field in the Military & Law Enforcement. I cannot state certainly as I have never trained with him. My opinions only come from talking to him and articles of his I have read.

Final summary - 2 good answers to the same problem
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Spydermdz...you reap what you sow.

I forgot about Superman, he even came back from the dead to make another movie, now that is impressive.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

A knife fight is not a joke, it's not a competitive sport, and it's definitely not something someone should go looking for. There's a reason we turned this thread into a joke, because that question is so ludicrous it shouldn't even be answered.

For all your training, you don't seem to have a very realistic grasp of what a knife fight entails, your attitude suggests you have a very Hollywood view of knife fighting. I can understand asking which is the better designer(which is only going to be opinions anyway), but I stopped taking your post seriously once you added the Celebrity Death match with Keating vs. Janich.

Michael had the best response yet, both men would walk away.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

neck, i was in your words "making-light" of ninja.... if he can do it to me then he can accept it when i do it to him.

also, the post on my blog about how to talk to a police officer when being interrogated is not about mall ninjas. wake up. there is a plethora of good information in that posting about what to do when questioned by police. it applies to many situations, nothing to do with mall ninjas. but that was just a feeble attempt by you to make a point and try to back BlackNinja. which is fine. just has no depth to it.

oh yes, and THANK YOU SOOOOOOO much for taking the time to read my blog. i appreciate it man ;)
myspace

ATC

BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

spydermdz wrote:neck, i was in your words "making-light" of ninja.... if he can do it to me then he can accept it when i do it to him.
Have you STILL not read my post??? :confused: :rolleyes: It reads NOTHING about superhero's!!! I could care less what you say about me, or anything, for that matter.
-Bruce Lee-

-Joe
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I do not know who would win, but I tell you what I would not mind going into some trouble with either one of them. Both of those guys are accomplished blade craftsmen. Take care and God Bless You all!
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

SpyderMDZ are you for real? The more I see the more I think you you are Half Troll and Half village idiot!

I am with Deacon on you SpyderMDZ. Deacon is right.

This is the most ridiculous thread ever.

Who would win? Dude you need some serious help.

Knives aren't all about fighting and killing. I hope you figure it out someday. You talk so much about MBC go get some training from YOUR Navy Seal Sensei you were talkin about. Or is he a made up?

Or just go out and get in some knife fights with some guys who just did 10 years in a max security prison for murder. And tell us how it works out. I am sure the they will smoke you with a craftsman screwdriver.

Or how about you join the human race and enjoy knives as a hobby.

I know some Bad *** dudes, I am not one, believe me I am not. I am nothing but a man. But all the Badass dudes I know keep there mouths shut and don't go babbling about fighting. They just stay cool and enjoy life. Try that, try staying cool and enjoying life. You will live longer and happier.

Life should not be about fighting. It is rather sad that it is.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Thank you #9. That about sums up my thoughts exactly.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

never ceases to amaze me.... Worker9, you and many other morons on numerous forums, always wanna throw in their insults and negative thoughts toward a thread. if you dont like what the thread is about, instead of calling someone else a troll, STAY THE **** OUT OF IT AND DONT POST ON IT. :) is that rocket science?
myspace

ATC

JaM

Post by JaM »

He only called you half a troll, but never mind that... :D