Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naxos

Re: Manix 2 C101PGY2 W/ Maxamet

Post by Naxos »

Any recommendations on caring for this steel? This will be my first non-stainless knife.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Naxos wrote:Any recommendations on caring for this steel? This will be my first non-stainless knife.
I'm not sure if they chose the stone washed/polished finish for a reason, but so far mine has proven to be very stain resistant under normal use. I've left it wet on the counter after food prep and there was no effect. So far it seems to fair better than M4.

In general though, I just wipe off non-stainless and it's fine. Some people oil/WD40/Tufglide their blades as a precaution.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

abbazaba wrote:
Naxos wrote:Any recommendations on caring for this steel? This will be my first non-stainless knife.
I'm not sure if they chose the stone washed/polished finish for a reason, but so far mine has proven to be very stain resistant under normal use. I've left it wet on the counter after food prep and there was no effect. So far it seems to fair better than M4.

In general though, I just wipe off non-stainless and it's fine. Some people oil/WD40/Tufglide their blades as a precaution.
Would you say it's stonewashed or bead blasted ? Some might say iy's the same but it's not.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

abbazaba wrote:

Would you say it's stonewashed or bead blasted ? Some might say it's the same but it's not.
attila

Post by attila »

This guy says it's bead blasted, but it looks stonewashed from his first-look video:
https://youtu.be/fzIBodB7LXY
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would say it is tumbled if you want to be real specific. You can basically "stonewash" with a lot of different media besides stones or with artificial stones of different sizes, shapes and finishes. It is hard to say what the media is but it appears to be tumbled in something.

I got some staining on the Maxamet Mule from food really quickly and the Manix has gotten some fine brown spots on it from pocket sweat that wiped right off. I would keep Maxamet clean and possibly wipe it down with some oil and definitely keep the pivot oiled.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm still not seeing many reviews on youtube of Maxamet performance and sharpening. Aside from the review that Michael Christy did a few months ago, there's not much information up yet.
Constantinol

Post by Constantinol »

Well I've been reading the spydie forums for awhile and finally decided to join the discussion. I've been using my manix 2 a lot at work cutting polyurethane film, tapes, rubbers, and some cardboard. There really 5 chips in the blade, one big, and the rest are tiny. Not too impressed considering I didn't apply huge amounts of stress. I'm going to put it on the edge pro this weekend and see how it fairs with those stones and possibly see if it will take a nice 5000k grit mirror polish
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Constantinol wrote:Well I've been reading the spydie forums for awhile and finally decided to join the discussion. I've been using my manix 2 a lot at work cutting polyurethane film, tapes, rubbers, and some cardboard. There really 5 chips in the blade, one big, and the rest are tiny. Not too impressed considering I didn't apply huge amounts of stress. I'm going to put it on the edge pro this weekend and see how it fairs with those stones and possibly see if it will take a nice 5000k grit mirror polish
Have you done similar work with a different knife/steel that you can use as a benchmark? Just to add a bit of color. Thanks for the info.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Constantinol wrote:Well I've been reading the spydie forums for awhile and finally decided to join the discussion. I've been using my manix 2 a lot at work cutting polyurethane film, tapes, rubbers, and some cardboard. There really 5 chips in the blade, one big, and the rest are tiny. Not too impressed considering I didn't apply huge amounts of stress. I'm going to put it on the edge pro this weekend and see how it fairs with those stones and possibly see if it will take a nice 5000k grit mirror polish
Welcome to the forum Constantinol, sounds like a re-profile is in order, maybe get that bevel down to some fresh steel :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Constantinol

Post by Constantinol »

I've used VG10 and 154CM and both steels stay decently sharp for a bit and only roll. Never chip! If maxamet is like people say it is, I shouldn't have as much trouble reprofiling as S110v. Hopefully lol and here's a couple pics not sure how well you can see them.

Also thanks for the welcome :)
Attachments
20170208_142153-756x1008.jpg
Resized_Screenshot_20170208-142438-720x1280.jpeg
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Putting super steels in affordable lightweight user platforms is one of the very special things that Spyderco does for us that really sets them apart from the competition.
^^ THIS!!!

You can easily look over offerings by other companies with comparable resources/steels and find Spyderco is always on top. Gotta love it!
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10