types of steel vs sharpness

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Until very recently ( due a change career mostly) I've always had the need for steel that will keep a sharp edge though a days work consisting of plenty of aggressive slicing in an abrasive environment, obviously at the expense of ease of sharpening. CPM 440v and serrations have been my best friends here. CPM D2 had served me very well also, though mainly being used for my general EDC chores at work.

What has surprised me is that CPM M4 didn't perform as well as I'd expected here (my 1st time using with M4) performing similar aggressive slicing duties, I frequently encountered very minor chipping and edge rolling. However it performs better than anything other steel I've ever used when it came to push cutting. I've push cut, chopped and hacked my GB M4 through all manner of hard materials and it's still shaving sharp after wards. I dont know if this is typical of CPM M4, but it has opened my eyes further as to how grain structure can affect the way a blade's edge performs under different cutting conditions.

Given that I've now changed jobs, I dont really have as much of a need such wear resistant steels anymore. For the first time I've been able to really appreciate EDC'ing VG10 and keeping a blindingly sharp edge alive through stropping alone.

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
THG

Post by THG »

jezabel wrote:I've push cut, chopped and hacked my GB M4 through all manner of hard materials and it's still shaving sharp after wards. I dont know if this is typical of CPM M4, but it has opened my eyes further as to how grain structure can affect the way a blade's edge performs under different cutting conditions.
It seems like harder steels can stand that abuse without damage to the edge (I think M4 is hard steel). I've smacked the edge of my ZDP-189 blade onto a metal dumpster a couple times on accident, and I looked at the edge expecting to see a large shiny spot indicating edge damage. To my pleasant surprise, there was nothing of the sort; it was as if nothing had ever happened.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Spyderco's VG10(which is the only VG10 I've tried) takes a killer edge with out too much effort.
Never mistake kindness for weakness.