Bead blasting G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ocho

Bead blasting G10

Post by Ocho »

Has anyone bead blasted their G10 scales? I wanted to change the color of some black tenacious scales, so had friend bead blast them.
Haven't got them back yet but he sent a pic of the results.
Wondering if it will take a RIT dye now.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240501-174559_Gallery.jpg
"A knife is a good friend when you have no other."
Stuart Ackerman

Re: Bead blasting G10

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have used talcum powder for a great finish.
Ocho

Post by Ocho »

:flushed
Please elaborate..
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:17 pm
I have used talcum powder for a great finish.
Stuart Ackerman

I had an old cheap airbrush and backed off the needle a to allow thicker paint to flow.

It was worn enough to throw away, so I tried talcum powder on a higher pressure than I used for paint.

I blasted a piece of cardboard, then balsa wood then 7075 aluminum.

I was impressed enough to try micarta and G10, and the G10 looked better, as the canvas micarta looked untouched.

The brush has to be absolutely dry, and the air absolutely clean. and as I use two inline filters for Kalgard Gunkote, it was no problems at all.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Interesting thread. I have often wondered about blasting (with some sort of media, don't know what) the uber-slick carbon fiber scales on a Caly. I'd really like some more traction on those scales.

Stuart, you probably know that blasting with baking soda is a common "gentle" media to use. I have never heard about blasting with talcum powder...was it really talcum powder or the corn starch substitute that's sold nowadays? (Since actual talcum powder causes cancer in women, apparently).

Good luck with the dye, Ocho, looking forward to the results. If you've figured out a way of dying black G10, you're a genius.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Stuart Ackerman

It was talcum powder, and I have just tried finding it online here in NZ.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.co.nz/buy/ ... WuEALw_wcB
Ocho

Post by Ocho »

Bolster wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 pm
Interesting thread. I have often wondered about blasting (with some sort of media, don't know what) the uber-slick carbon fiber scales on a Caly. I'd really like some more traction on those scales.

Stuart, you probably know that blasting with baking soda is a common "gentle" media to use. I have never heard about blasting with talcum powder...was it really talcum powder or the corn starch substitute that's sold nowadays? (Since actual talcum powder causes cancer in women, apparently).

Good luck with the dye, Ocho, looking forward to the results. If you've figured out a way of dying black G10, you're a genius.
If you like that, you're going to love when I copper plate G10.