The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Re: The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by Netherend »

Anyone know when the Parabbeans are dropping? I have not seen the black and yellow in stock anywhere yet
Just one more knife...
phaust

Post by phaust »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 pm
phaust wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:22 pm
Finally picked one of these up. Has anyone taken theirs apart? Looks like they finally upgraded the detent ball to ceramic. Makes sense for the Salt (but makes sense for all of them..)

Thanks for the update. Do we have any update or confirmation on this? Can you tell for sure looking at it? I just got my new pm2 salt and LOVE it. I did have a corrosion issue on the detent ball in one of the early production Caribbeans so I was definitely hoping they had switched to ceramic.
I'll take it apart tomorrow if no one has checked yet and replies by then. From what I can tell it sure looks like it though. Definitely don't see the shine of the normal steel detent ball. That picture was in outdoor bright sunlight.

Interesting to note also the stop pin is not coated. The REC avocado exclusives have a black stop pin, so I wonder why this didn't get it. Presumably a steel change to make it more rust resistant meant coating wouldn't work(?).

It's nice Spyderco is rounding the g10 edges now instead of putting flat bevels on it. This and the Military 2 I just got both are that way. Saves me having to do it, and it is certainly a comfort upgrade.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It certainly looks like a gray ceramic ball in that photo.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
phaust

Post by phaust »

Detent

Edit: Just a heads up, I've had a lot of comp lock knives from Golden, and all of them have been apart. I've never had to pry the liner off the stop pin before, but this one I did. Could be just mine, could be due to a change, dunno. Anyway, a popsicle stick worked fine, a little on one side, a little on the other, back and forth bit by bit and off it came.
ed9957

Post by ed9957 »

My Para 2 Magnacut showed up a couple weeks ago from my favorite knife retailer in Canada. I was on an email notification for when it was instock. Checking my emails several times a day paid off! The milled handle actually feels great in the hand. I'm liking the Magnacut steel so far. So far it's getting a lot of pocket time. It has joined my growing Para 2 family that includes a first gen PM in D2 steel. I might have picked up a couple other Spydies at the same time :squinting-tongue. I realize I have a minor addiction issue to Spydercos. My favorites are still the PM2, Manix and compression lock models which lead to the Lil Native purchase.
Attachments
20240430_100238.jpg
20240417_120803.jpg
20240417_105721.jpg
phaust

Post by phaust »

If anyone wants to know, everything is swappable with other models. I tried a blade swap, no issues. I ended up just swapping G10 though so all the internals are together with the original blades.

With three of them apart I was looking around for differences. The stop pin has a little bevel on the edge on this version that my others don't have, and both the stop pin and stepped pivot have a flat groove across on one side that I assume is to use a flat head with if needed to hold in place while screwing from the other end (though I'm not sure why the pivot would need it given the d-hole on that side--maybe there have been warranty issues where the D shape itself stripped?).
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That is useful information @phaust. 👍
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Zero problems with a swap into these LynchNW dark abyss Ti scales.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King