Manix Talk - Full sized VS Mini

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Manix Talk - Full sized VS Mini

Post by vivi »

Believe it or not, this is the first time I've gotten to compare the two Manix sizes side by side.

I owned a CE mini manix 2 back when they had saber grind, clear CBBL cages and 154CM steel. Sold it off when they released the full sized and never really looked back. Never have warmed up to the Mini, and this post will talk about why.

The two aren't 1:1 copies of each other with a bit of handle & blade chopped off. There are some subtle differences between blade shapes, handle thickness, thumb ramp angles, carry depth etc.

Here is a comparison of the blades:

The Manix has more belly while the Mini has a straighter edge profile. The mini has a nice edge profile for utility work, but the belly on the Manix lets it do a much better job of being a camp food prep knife. It works really well on a cutting board for a folder.

Carry depth:

The carry depth of the full sized really bothers the crowd that thinks nobody can tell what their deep carry clips are attached to (people can). It has never been an issue for me and I've been carrying the Manix since the 2000's. It's very easy to draw from any pocket or even IWB with the stock configuration and is comfortable to carry. I don't live somewhere where carrying a pocket knife is an issue so I don't care about trying to hide the fact that I do.

Here are some of the more subtle handle differences. The Mini has a more shallow thumb ramp, closer to the more shallow one on the original C95 VS the sharper ramp of the second gen Manix. This is one thing I actually prefer on the Mini.

The Manix has open back construction while the Mini does not:

It's a small difference but the Mini is slightly thinner in the handle:

It's an even bigger difference compared to the C95.

This is one aspect where I feel the second gen series was downgraded VS the original Manix series - the thicker handle improved ergonomics

The Manix also has a taller, more hand filling grip:

I know over the years people have seem perplexed how I can love the full sized handle but not the Mini, as many believed they offer the same grip area. Well, holding them side by side, it's pretty clear they don't offer the same grip area. Might only be a couple of MM of difference, but that little bit is enough to make one feel like a full sized grip and the other a bit undersized for my hand:

Objectively they simply do not offer the same real estate for a hand.

Now, for your grip that might not matter. For mine, it does. The Mini is right under the cut off of how I define a full sized folding knife, speaking in terms of handle only.

Here's a little video of me gripping each knife:

Mini Manix - https://streamlala.com/yav3a/

Manix - https://streamlala.com/9qRbG/

Where each person draws that line is subjective of course, but where I make the distinction is simple. Is the handle small enough I can cover it fully with my palm?

The Mini does not pass this test. Neither does a Delica, Chap, Endela. These are small knives to me.

For comparison, here's the Manix

While the grip area may only differ by a handful of mm in length, the difference doesn't feel very subtle in my hands. The Mini's point at the end of the handle digs into my pinky a bit, while the Manix fits me like a glove:

If I'm concerned about weight and want to carry a light pocket knife, I would much rather carry a FFG Pacific Salt. Not only is it lighter than the Mini Manix, but it also offers my hand a full sized grip. It's the smallest Spyderco I own that does, and for my needs I see no reason to carry a pocket knife with a smaller handle than that.

Lastly here's another interesting comparison. The Mini Manix VS a Cold Steel American Lawman:

Very similar knives. Both are very light and easy to carry, but the American Lawman works a bit better in my grip. While both knives are smaller than I generally carry, the Lawman has just enough handle for me to squeeze all my fingers on, and has a touch more edge.

------------------------------------------

The Mini Manix deserves praise for offering a pretty robust feeling handle in such a light, rigid package. It's a very well designed knife and nothing in my post is meant to imply otherwise. I just wanted to explore some of the differences between the two and talk about why one handle works well for me and the other not so much. I think for people that wear medium sized gloves the Mini must be a very nice feeling knife. For me it's just a bit small.

Could the full sized be made into a lightweight? That's something I've wondered for a while now. I wonder what the weight would be, and how blade heavy it would end up feeling. With the Mini Manix Salt trickling out I wonder if we could ever see a Manix Salt down the road?

------------------------------------------

If you haven't seen them, here are two other Manix comparisons I've written

Manix gen 1 VS gen 2 - viewtopic.php?t=85577
Manix VS Shaman - viewtopic.php?t=89067
Last edited by vivi on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Re: Manix Talk - Full sized VS Mini

Post by ladybug93 »

i've always argued the the two have the same grip profile with just a bit of the hook taken off. you can see this is true in your photos with how the contours on the finger side of the handle line up basically perfectly. i can see though the the extra hook on the manix xl would give a more secure feeling to someone with very large hands.

in my comparison, i don't remember noticing the difference in width or thickness of the handle, but it would've been a negligible difference for me because both fit my hands very comfortably.

ultimately, while i don't care about deep carry, i just really don't like the way the xl rides in pocket vs it's smaller version. the clip position looks awkward and makes the knife sit in such a way that the full thickness of the handle is in the opening of the pocket. the manix 2, on the other hand, is clipped at the point of the handle, leaving the opening of the pocket much more accessible. that's one of my favorite things about the design because i also carry my phone in the same pocket. the manix never feels like it's in my way the way other folders sometimes do, and the xl certainly would.

i would be interested in an xl lw salt though, especially if the clip was relocated. even if it wasn't, i'd still give it a go iwb.

good comparison. i was surprised to see you go for a m2lw. are you going to get the salt?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The extra hook at the end of the handle is very intriguing. The Manix 2 feels a bit like my hand is not secured at the back. Though I was not excited about the clip position on the XL. Not because the knife is visible, but sometimes they feel more comfortable deeper in the pocket in order to grab my keys and other things I keep in the same pocket. For this, I have actually been looking at Rockscale designs new XL grips. They relocated the pocket clip.

https://rockscaledesign.com/collections ... manix-2-xl

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:03 am
that looks pretty uncomfortable, to be honest. the highest part of the clip is right where your pinky wraps around the handle. although i guess it would be on the palm side, so maybe it's less noticeable. i'd have to feel it in hand to really judge it. otherwise, it solves the other problems i have with the clip placement.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks Vivi for comments . I immediately went to cabinet and looked over and confirmed my hand size . My hands are a bit smaller so the Mini in hand is at the limit and the Manix is a bit more comfortable and very secure . Truthfully I still prefer the lockback original design opposed to the caged lock but over time resistance was useless ! I have also been curious why there has never been a LWT version of the C95 model . I would buy one immediately in any Salt steel Spyderco would choose . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m confused. Aren’t the knives being compared here a regular size Manix 2 Lightweight and a Manix 2 XL?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks, Vivi, for the comparison, I take it also a bit as reply to my questions to you HERE viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95959 which actually all got adressed in your post.

Some random thoughts:

1.) Really weird: In your pic where the two knives lay on top of each other, it actually looks like as if the Manix 2 had at least the same actual grip area as the XL - if not even a tad more.
I may post one of your pics once more below: See what I mean? LOOKS like as if the steeper "drop" of the hook on the XL would restrict the grip area a bit more than the flatter on the Manix 2, while the grip area LOOKS to be really the same if not a hair longer on the Manix 2.
Still: Of course I believe you and in your "real life comparison" 100% and in the vids it can be seen that the XL has a bit more grip area.
Still, strangely, in the comparsion pics I can´t see that at all

2.) Funny that your hand fits the Manixes (XL and 2) at all - as said, mine are almost XL, but certainly still a lot smaller than yours, and the Manix 2 offers a very tight fit for me. The grip area behind the choil should not be any shorter

3.) Well, a Manix XL in linerless FRCP constructed like the Manix 2 LW should really be possible imo: The Manix 2 LW is really rigid, I think the extra length of the XL would not make the knife much more "flexy".
And the weight: The Manix 2 XL is a bit more than 20% heavier as the Manix 2 (G10, with skeletonized liners).
Extrapolating from this, an FRCP XL could be around 100 grams (just a bit over 3.5 oz).

4.) I respect your way of measuring folders - but the Endela handle, despite your hand totally covers it, actually offers a lot grip area, definitely more than the Manix XL does behind the choil... handlewise (not necessarily blade wise though) the Endela imo really is a knife for big hands (as long as the user likes the general ergos)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

One thing that is definitely cooler concerning the two in the pic:

The EDGE(bevel) of the XL... :cheap-sunglasses ;)

Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:37 am
I’m confused. Aren’t the knives being compared here a regular size Manix 2 Lightweight and a Manix 2 XL?
Yes.

> The Manix has open back construction while the Mini does not:

One of the differences Vivi points out (open back construction) is not a difference between the standard and XL, but a different between the standard weight and the lightweight. The standard in standard weight has the same flow through construction that the XL in the comparison photos does.

I think it's possible the same is true of the width comparison he does, but I'll need to pull the knives out and check.
Vamais

Post by Vamais »

M2XLDC.jpeg
The hook on the back is amazing for grip security. Not too far off from a Cold Steel Spartan.
I never did get used to the handle on the mini. I hate how it tapers towards the back. Feels like I'm trying to hold on to a fish.
-AHAB
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vamais wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am
M2XLDC.jpeg

The hook on the back is amazing for grip security. Not too far off from a Cold Steel Spartan.
I never did get used to the handle on the mini. I hate how it tapers towards the back. Feels like I'm trying to hold on to a fish.

No offense, but I don´t quite understand: When I grip my Manix LW - BEHIND the actual finger choil! - my index finger is so locked in in that "secondary" choil on the actual handle that it really does not matter to me how substantial (or not) the "hook" at the handle end is (and it IS still there on the LW too)

Not saying that I would not like the more substantial hook on the XL, I am sure I would or it would at least not bother me
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Spyderco does not and has never made a knife called the “Mini Manix.”

Full sized Manix 2 =
Last edited by Mushroom on Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zhyla wrote:
Yes, you are correct. This thread is very confusing.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:17 am
zhyla wrote:
I literally just bought an old school “mini manix” on BF. It’s also called the “manix 80mm” and its a backlock. It’s slightly smaller than the manix 2 but it’s what the manix 2 was evolved from
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Drubieg wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 am
Mushroom wrote:
zhyla wrote:
I literally just bought an old school “mini manix” on BF. It’s also called the “manix 80mm” and its a backlock. It’s slightly smaller than the manix 2 but it’s what the manix 2 was evolved from
It was “Manix 83mm” and to my point, it has never been named “Mini Manix.”
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:50 am
Drubieg wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:41 am
Mushroom wrote:
zhyla wrote:
It was “Manix 83mm” and to my point, it has never been named “Mini Manix.”
I hear what your saying. I just think the thread is only confusing if you treat it like Vivis not following the technical Spyderco manual. He’s just referring to the manix 2 as “mini” because the original manix 1 was large
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Vamais wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am
M2XLDC.jpeg

The fish part got me. That is a great way to explain the may slip off the back feel. The first finger groove behind the choil helps with that, but I can definitely see the XL hook helping to lock in the grip.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the grip area behind the choil fits my hand like a glove, but i always use the choil anyway. on knives that have them, i always use the choil because i want to be as close to the blade as possible and i like the feeling of the blade in my hand. otherwise, the choil becomes a snag point anyway.

if you use the choil, the handle is thickest under your ring and pinky fingers, which helps with the fish feeling you're talking about. in fact, the swell is wider than that of the pm2, which is another reason i prefer the manix.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
vivi

Post by vivi »

copying this from another thread. it addresses some of the replies, like the ones talking about the grip area size difference
vivi wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:01 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:15 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:57 pm
Surprised. Holding them side by side I noticed differences I didn't before, as I sold my first run mini manix 2 before my first full sized manix 2 arrived. Like the thumb ramp on the mini is at a more shallow angle more like the old c95.

I thought I'd get it in my hand and decide I didn't want it after all, but right now we're sitting at a maybe.

Curious for more of particularly your impressions, regarding the Manix 2 as a platform - there are some things about size and ergos I always wonder about:

1.) From all I can see the XL and the Manix 2 have pretty much the same actual grip area (the plus in handle length on the XL seems to be taken mainly by that "rear hook") - so the XL perhaps is not a really larger version when it comes to grip area?
Now that you can compare the two directly: Is this so?

2.) For my L to XL hand the Manix 2 is a perfect, but tight fit. Grip area should not be any shorter.
Now I know that folks with appearantly bigger hands than mine (Doc Dan...) still find the Manix 2 to be good in hand WITHOUT using the choil - same for you? And if, how can this be?

3.) Feeling how sturdy and rigid that FRCP Manix is: Do you also wish for a lighter Manix XL constructed in the same way as the Manix 2 LW? The G10 XL is roughly 20 % heavier than the (skeletonized) G10 Manix 2 - extrapolating from that, an FRCP Manix XL could come in at around 100 grams (a bit more than 3.5 oz) which would be amazing.
#1 - 100%, without a doubt, this is not the case. The Manix XL has more grip room than the Manix 2. The videos in my other thread, well I thought they made that clear, but seeing the follow up replies I guess not. It isn't a big difference, maybe 2-5mm, but holding them side by side there is zero question in my mind the grip area is larger on the bigger version.

#2 To be clear the Manix 2 doesn't feel bad in my grip by any means. But it does feel undersized. I could certai ly use it and complete any typical pocket knife task with it. But it would be less comfortable for me, especially in harder use. I loved the Siren but the handle felt just a bit small for my grip too, so I've come to prefer the Pacific Salt's more spacious handle.

#3 My main interest in a Manix XL LW is seeing a salt version of it.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's only more space because the curve continues into a hook. the shape is the same, but the manix 2 ends as a bump that just doesn't hold your pinky in.
current collection:
spyderco steels: