5.11 Tactical Ridge Short with Knife Reinforcement Front Pockets

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

5.11 Tactical Ridge Short with Knife Reinforcement Front Pockets

Post by Mad Mac »

Spring is in the air and hairy legs are in bloom.
5.11 Tactical has come out with shorts that have
front pockets reinforced for clip knives.
Bought a couple of their shirts on clearance.
Good quality, but at $76 I am not a buyer for these shorts.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
vivi

Re: 5.11 Tactical Ridge Short with Knife Reinforcement Front Pockets

Post by vivi »

some days I wonder how my thin running shorts hold up to having abrasive handled knives like the Siren, Yojumbo and Pacific 2 clipped IWB with no issues, but people are always posting about their tough jeans getting chewed up by their pocket knives.
:unicorn
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

vivi wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:39 am
some days I wonder how my thin running shorts hold up to having abrasive handled knives like the Siren, Yojumbo and Pacific 2 clipped IWB with no issues, but people are always posting about their tough jeans getting chewed up by their pocket knives.
Plastic vs cotton would be my guess.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:25 pm
vivi wrote:
Plastic vs cotton would be my guess.
Also thinner material would make the clip exert less force on the material.
/ David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 2.21.25 PM.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm close to needing some shorts. They are kind of steep, but I buy clothes after the ones that I have - have fallen apart and I'm standing in my t-shirt, underwear and socks!

:smiling-halo
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
NOVA_Mag

Post by NOVA_Mag »

I like some of the 5.11 shorts. Some cool designs and pocket layouts for edc. They are expensive (especially with current inflation). But they have 20% off sales on a lot of the major holidays. That’s usually the only time I get anything from them.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

This 5.11 Tactical Short is available 46% off in limited sizes and colors.
$55 shorts for $29.49 and another $6 to get free shipping
appeals to my inner cheapskate.
https://www.511tactical.com/511-tactica ... otton.html
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Honestly, if you know someone who can sew you can do it yourself.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got some Duluth Trading firepant work pants and they have the double stitched knife seam too. Very very nice.
Josh
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:21 pm
This 5.11 Tactical Short is available 46% off in limited sizes and colors.
$55 shorts for $29.49 and another $6 to get free shipping
appeals to my inner cheapskate.
https://www.511tactical.com/511-tactica ... otton.html

These clearance Tactical shorts have exceeded my expectations.
(Not the Tactical Ridge Short for $76, the clearance Tactical short for $29.
https://www.511tactical.com/511-tactica ... otton.html)
First of all the picture in the catalog I ordered from looked white.
That was wrong.
They are indeed khaki as in the video, thank goodness.

Both front pockets are reinforced for clip knife carry.

The small left front pocket is also a good size for a man-sized Starmate.

The large slash opening rear pockets have a hook and loop closure.
They are reinforced for clip knife carry, too.
But what has me scratching my head is the big strap
above the right back pocket. I've heard of love handles but...

These are now my favorite shorts.
Mad Mac

Re: 5.11 Shorts with Reinforced Pockets for Clip Knife Carry

Post by Mad Mac »

After wearing these shorts for... one day !
They are great. Hip pocket clip knife carry never appealed to me.
But the weird slash pockets on these shorts make hip pocket carry
make sense. Specially considering that the hem is reinforced.
The knife rides close to the pants seam,
same as it does in a front pocket.

And my billfold in my left hip pocket has never felt more secure.
Still not sure about the strap over the right hip pocket.
Originally intended for carabiners for mountain climbers,
it may not have a use for me.