Pricing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Re: Pricing

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe you could give foreign eligible staff access to the OpsFor program. This way we could buy factory direct and then swallow the tax problem.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Again, why does Spyderco have to adjust their practices because of how individual markets act?

Isn't that between you and your government/s.

I'm not trying to be dismissive but I just don't see how this is the responsibility of the company.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Spyderco should roll back the MAP discount off of MSRP to 40% instead of the current 30%. With such a change Spyderco continues to charge dealers and distributors like before while dealers will have a chance to advertise between 30% and 40% off MSRP and not have a big drop in Spyderco sales in 2022.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
attila

Post by attila »

I’d like to see MAP decrease, yes, but I doubt it’d happen.

I’m to the point now that, without a coupon code, I don’t buy anything but exclusives at dealers anymore because of MAP.

Even when I really want something like the Chaparral LW and S110V UKPK I just bought, I waited until the SFO had them in stock at the same time to purchase them for the much more reasonable OpFocus price.

If there’s ever a sprint or flash-batch that I just gotta have (e.g. Crucarta Shaman), I’ll probably stomach MAP, but it’s gotta be something really special.

Either way, I have more :bug-red than I know what to do with, so I’ll be okay if MAP stays.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
kobold

Post by kobold »

Is MAP US only or is it enforced in other markets too?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
standy99

Post by standy99 »

kobold wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:12 am
A Spyderco in Australia is sometimes $50-100 more than I can buy from Knifecenter shipped.

A seller in Australia now with a special with 19% off makes a Delica $187 AUD = $133 US
(Without the special it’s $156 US)
Knifecenter I can get one at $110 US shipped
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
kobold

Post by kobold »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:49 am
kobold wrote:
A Spyderco in Australia is sometimes $50-100 more than I can buy from Knifecenter shipped.

A seller in Australia now with a special with 19% off makes a Delica $187 AUD = $133 US
(Without the special it’s $156 US)
Knifecenter I can get one at $110 US shipped

I lived there when the import limit was $2000 (not sure what it is today), I shipped everything from the US. The "aussie tax" is a big nope.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

kobold wrote:
Given the expensive level of prices in the EU, official MAP would be pretty absurd ... but who knows, maybe that will come. :zany
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I seriously wonder where Spyderco sees their pricing in 4 years because the trajectory they are on is unsustainable.
So it goes.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:24 pm
I seriously wonder where Spyderco sees their pricing in 4 years because the trajectory they are on is unsustainable.
So you predict Spyderco will be shuttered in four or so years?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Airlsee wrote:
I'm a prepper. I would think that anyone still in manufacturing in the USA have a prepper mentality and are prepared to weather most storms. Most of the US manufacturers have sold out to China. Many of us are still trying to buy USA Made goods, it's worth it.

If it comes down to a huge weed-out, I hope that Spyderco, Ka-Bar, Spartan Blades and Hinderer remain. I could base every knife that I have on those 4 brands moving forward. I do not need knives from any of the others.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:39 pm
Airlsee wrote:
I'm a prepper. I would think that anyone still in manufacturing in the USA have a prepper mentality and are prepared to weather most storms. Most of the US manufacturers have sold out to China. Many of us are still trying to buy USA Made goods, it's worth it.

If it comes down to a huge weed-out, I hope that Spyderco, Ka-Bar, Spartan Blades and Hinderer remain. I could base every knife that I have on those 4 brands moving forward. I do not need knives from any of the others.
I've been in USA manufacturing for over two decades. China is a direct and extremely difficult competitor to our business. I'm not a prepper, and while I avoid Chinese-made products when it makes sense, I also recognize the global market and have no issues buying non-American goods when it makes sense. The overwhelming majority of the products I make go overseas, get turned into other products and get fed back to the USA and the globe. I can almost guarantee you interacted with at least one thing in your day today that had at least one of our products in it.

So, for me at least, I view it as a little more complicated.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm
Airlsee wrote:

That's the grossest re-interpretation of a post I have seen in a while, and I'm not even going to respond but to say that you are ridiculous.

My post speaks for itself and doesn't need re-interpretation or deciphering.
So it goes.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:13 pm
So, for me at least, I view it as a little more complicated.
It can't be overstated how over-simplified the view of most (however understandable that is) is on international trade & production. It is a very complex topic with different facets depending on the industry, products, etc.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:55 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:36 pm
Airlsee wrote:

That's the grossest re-interpretation of a post I have seen in a while, and I'm not even going to respond but to say that you are ridiculous.

My post speaks for itself and doesn't need re-interpretation or deciphering.
Someone's spicy.

It's just the internet. No need to get riled. It'll be okay. :)