Any love for the Amalgan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lumpy

Re: Any love for the Amalgan?

Post by Lumpy »

I really don’t have anything new to add that hasn’t been said, but would still like to take this opportunity to express my love for the Amalgam. Excellent geometry, robust tip, no hump, and a very very ergonomic handle. The flipper tab and comp lock combo seemed like it could have been a problem, but personally it has posed zero issues for me. Detent is light, but I guess they’ve CQI’d that. I’ve really pared back my collection recently, but I’d pick up another steel/handle variation in a second if one was available.

The amalgam has always reminded me of a Spyderized Hinderer, which I really dig. Just a great, great knife.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I like the design, but it's too big for my needs. I don't even carry my PM2 often as I prefer something the size of a Sage 5 or Native 5.

I might still get one in the future though.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I thought it looked neat, but any knife with bearings and a flipper is an automatic no-go for me.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:34 am
Funny you bring this knife up. A friend of mine at work got one a couple weeks back and brought it in to show me. It's a pretty nice knife for sure, great quality and action just from handling it for a few minutes.

I'm thinking it doesn't seem to get talked about or seen all that much because of the flipper tab, the size, the steel or maybe the peel ply carbon fiber scales. Some of those things seem to be a pet peeve for a lot of folks.
I agree with Rick. Maybe too big for some, and ot many aftermarket scale options if you don't like the carbon fiber. I've always had it on my spydie wish list, but never got to it. Looks like an awesome knife to me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I purchased the Amalgam a few weeks ago and the knife has been flawless . I’m good with the steel , scales and flipper is like glass . I usually carry a large in my strong side pocket and always have a Dragonfly in my weak side . Compared to many large knives this knife is not noticeable weight wise in my pocket which is a huge plus . I only have six compression lock knives and personally rate the fit and finish with my Superleaf and just ahead of my ATR2 . Hope the Amalgam sticks round and evolves . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
WRB

Post by WRB »

I just wish I knew if a sprint/exclusive was coming out in the near future. That's the only thing holding me back from giving in and buying the standard version. I'd hate to buy it then a few months later see a sprint/exclusive in a steel I prefer. I have enough S30V as it is but I've been wanting an Amalgam for a long while now.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I might have bought one if not for the choil thing on the blade. Those are instant deal breakers for me. I don't need a giant dull snag point at the base of my blade where material can slide into and get caught.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Some comparison pictures.

embry386

Post by embry386 »

The Amalgam has kicked all my other knives out of my pocket. Big, light, flicky, super ergonomic, a design that works for everything from slicing boxes to food prep to hacking through old baseboards. No issues with the bearings or detent, even with hard use (re: baseboards). I had the opportunity recently to visit the Spyderco outlet in Golden -- got to try out so many awesome knives -- and you know which one I bought as a souvenir? A backup Amalgam, because nothing else in the entire Spyderco outlet could compare.

Really wish there were some sprints, but on the other hand it's probably better for my wallet that there aren't.
Evil D wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:18 am
I might have bought one if not for the choil thing on the blade. Those are instant deal breakers for me. I don't need a giant dull snag point at the base of my blade where material can slide into and get caught.
The blade choil is actually surprisingly non-snagging. Compare to something like the Police. The Police has a choil that's the full blade stock thickness, also has jimping. Very prone to snagging. The Amalgam's super-thin, smooth choil acts more like a segment of unsharpened blade; anything that lands there by accident just slips right back out as you continue the cut. Don't think I've ever had an issue with what you're describing on the Amalgam. YMMV of course, just my 2c :)
Last edited by embry386 on Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

embry386 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:03 pm
The blade choil is actually surprisingly non-snagging. Compare to something like the Police. The Police has a choil that's the full blade stock thickness, also has jimping. Very prone to snagging. The Amalgam's super-thin, smooth choil acts more like a segment of unsharpened blade; anything that lands there by accident just slips right back out as you continue the cut. Don't think I've ever had an issue with what you're describing on the Amalgam. YMMV of course, just my 2c :)

I just really like knowing that I can jam the blade all the way in until it stops and pull and it'll cut without snagging. I'm sure this is just one of my weird quirks. I'm even bothered by the tiny bit of ricasso that the Rock Jumper still has, and like you mentioned with other choiled knives it's something that often ruins a design for me but for example a Para 2 at least has a choil that hangs below the bottom of the blade. It still snags fabric through which is one reason I stopped carrying them. I'm excited for the Police 4 but it won't serve as my dedicated work knife for this reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Decided to resurrect this thread instead of posting a new one and adding to the madness.

What a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL knife this is. It takes everything I love ergonomically about the civivi incite (my all-time favorite flipper) and makes it Spyderco. On top of that, it has a nice, stout tip which I always appreciate. If it had washers, it could almost be used as a harder use folder.

I suppose I understand why it never caught on. The Spyderco crowd isn’t a flipper crowd and I can obviously relate. But this is exactly what I would want in a Spyderco flipper. It’s a shame we’ll never see it in a tool steel, etc. It just wouldn’t make ANY sense, economically.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Manifestgtr wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:15 pm
Decided to resurrect this thread instead of posting a new one and adding to the madness.

What a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL knife this is. It takes everything I love ergonomically about the civivi incite (my all-time favorite flipper) and makes it Spyderco. On top of that, it has a nice, stout tip which I always appreciate. If it had washers, it could almost be used as a harder use folder.

I suppose I understand why it never caught on. The Spyderco crowd isn’t a flipper crowd and I can obviously relate. But this is exactly what I would want in a Spyderco flipper. It’s a shame we’ll never see it in a tool steel, etc. It just wouldn’t make ANY sense, economically.
I have had my Amalgam for over a year and I am very fond of it . Just another pic. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

I purchased a second hand Amalgam with a flipper delete mod. Made a difference in feel. I like the design, very comfortable and versatile. If there was a sprint run, I would get one.