Meerkat phantom lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Meerkat phantom lock

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've been looking at small knives with my wife and found the Meerkat of interest. Since I'm a lefty I was wondering how flipping the clip worked with a phantom lock? It looks like the clip screws into the liner through the scale. That also means it would make which ever side the clip was on stationary. Is that how it works?
Qcrazy

Re: Meerkat phantom lock

Post by Qcrazy »

The Meerkat is a very nice knife and the lock works well. Me being a right hander when trying to use this knife with my left feels a bit awkward though know that anything I do left handed feels awkward. The oddity though comes from pulling with the thumb and pushing with the fingers rather than how it's done with the right hand.

I do believe that when you change the clip you are correct that the other side now moves. If so it may work the same as right.

It's a great conversation piece at a great price though now only found on the secondary market.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Qcrazy wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:04 pm
The Meerkat is a very nice knife and the lock works well. Me being a right hander when trying to use this knife with my left feels a bit awkward though know that anything I do left handed feels awkward. The oddity though comes from pulling with the thumb and pushing with the fingers rather than how it's done with the right hand.

I do believe that when you change the clip you are correct that the other side now moves. If so it may work the same as right.

It's a great conversation piece at a great price though now only found on the secondary market.

The V-Toku2 Meerkat Sprint Run is available at many dealers still.
•• Beau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The same scale will move regardless of which side the clip is on. The screws do not go into the liner. There is a metal plate under the scale to anchor the screws.
OhBuoyancy

Post by OhBuoyancy »

I am left-handed myself and interested in the Meerkat. I was able to find some videos on youtube that showed left-hand use, just search Spyderco Meerkat left hand.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:31 pm
The same scale will move regardless of which side the clip is on. The screws do not go into the liner. There is a metal plate under the scale to anchor the screws.
I found this picture from Spydercollector.com that seems to support that. Cant seem to find a diagram.
Attachments
meerkats_halfopen.jpg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My statement was based on close examination of one of my four (the only one I had handy, which is the V-Toku sprint) but I have switched the clip on one of the others for portside carry. Lefty operation requires a bit more concentration for me, but it is certainly possible.