Would removal of Thumb Stud help those with folder bans?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Would removal of Thumb Stud help those with folder bans?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is a question I have for those in the places where folding knives that can open with one hand are banned or considered dangerous:

If you have a folder that opens with a thumb stud, and you remove the thumb stud, does that solve the problem, or, could the "centrifugal force" method be used where they grip the blade and use force to open it, and then consider it an "illegal gravity knife"? I ask because some of the folders with thumb studs appear to have a section where you can remove it using a flat head or other form of screw driver.
The Deacon

Re: Would removal of Thumb Stud help those with folder bans?

Post by The Deacon »

Exactly. Even a Buck 110 can be opened kinetically with one hand by grasping the blade instead of the handle and snapping your arm as if cracking a whip. So unless the law specifically defines a knife that can be opened with one hand as one that must be opened by rotating the blade while holding the handle, they can still say pretty much any locking folder is capable of being opened with one hand even if they don't call it a gravity knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gevatter

Post by Gevatter »

I think if you have to grip the knife at the blade to open it one handed the hole concept is ineffective because you can't attack immediately. Generally speaking, removed thumbstuds or a filled up hole should solve the problem here in germany.
I recently thought about purchasing the Cold Steel Frenzy, one of the two CS knives that look appealing to me. Unfortunately it seems that it is too easy to open it one handed with the fuller.
You could always argue that the fuller wasn't designed as an opening device but at last you are at the mercy of the policeman.
Crux

Post by Crux »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 am
Here is a question I have for those in the places where folding knives that can open with one hand are banned or considered dangerous:

If you have a folder that opens with a thumb stud, and you remove the thumb stud, does that solve the problem, or, could the "centrifugal force" method be used where they grip the blade and use force to open it, and then consider it an "illegal gravity knife"? I ask because some of the folders with thumb studs appear to have a section where you can remove it using a flat head or other form of screw driver.
Just don't go to such places. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: