302UF vs 306UF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharpety

302UF vs 306UF

Post by Sharpety »

Hey all

I’m new here and have a question for you lovely folk!

Other than the dimensions, what’s the difference between the 302UF and 306UF bench stones?

The 306UF is more expensive, but the 302UF comes in a hard case with non-slip base, so actually seems the better one to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks everyone!
Michael Janich

Re: 302UF vs 306UF

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sharpety:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sharpety wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:11 am
Hey all

I’m new here and have a question for you lovely folk!

Other than the dimensions, what’s the difference between the 302UF and 306UF bench stones?

The 306UF is more expensive, but the 302UF comes in a hard case with non-slip base, so actually seems the better one to me. Am I missing something?

Thanks everyone!
You can't go wrong with either one of those Spyderco ULtra-Fine stones. I've owned and used a couple of the 302 Benchstones in UF for quite some time now. The bigger model 306UF has a few advantages because of it's bigger size. The bigger model 306UF is one of the very few Spyderco sharpening tools that I don't yet own. But I do plan on getting one at some point.

If you get a 204 Sharpmaker at some point most definitely get all the extra stones you can buy for it. When I got my first 204 Sharpmaker in the early 2000s it was about a year later I got a set of UF stones for it. It made all the difference in the world with my sharpening results.

Again you can't go wrong with either one of the selections you have mentioned. And welcome to the forum by the way :)
Ric

Post by Ric »

I think the size is different.

I have the fine and medium with the case and like them.

As you can buy the sharpmaker UF rods in singular I also recommend them.
Sharpety

Post by Sharpety »

Thanks everyone for talking the time to both welcome me to the community and advise me, too!

I’m glad you mentioned the Sharpmaker, JD Spydo 😃 I bought this earlier in the year, as and you suggested, I ended up buying the UF and Diamond rods too! It’s such a simple yet amazing system.

I have the Double Stuff 303MF and also the 302M.

I also have some Fallkniven stones - DC4, DC521 and CC4. I think I have too many stones!!

It was when using the larger bench stones on my Scandi blades that I realised the larger DC521 and 302M made it easier. I’ve placed a back order for the 306UF with Amazon (it’s out of stock at the moment). It’s only £5 more than the 302UF at the moment - Amazon’s prices sometimes fluctuate a lot.

But I thought it might be worth getting the 302F. Then I thought - would it be better having all three in the same size and in hard cases? Or should I spend the nominal extra and get the 306UF??

Thanks guys/gals!
Sharpety

Post by Sharpety »

I guess I like the idea of having all three in hard cases..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sharpety wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:45 pm
Thanks everyone for talking the time to both welcome me to the community and advise me, too!

I’m glad you mentioned the Sharpmaker, JD Spydo 😃 I bought this earlier in the year, as and you suggested, I ended up buying the UF and Diamond rods too! It’s such a simple yet amazing system.

I have the Double Stuff 303MF and also the 302M.

I also have some Fallkniven stones - DC4, DC521 and CC4. I think I have too many stones!!

It was when using the larger bench stones on my Scandi blades that I realised the larger DC521 and 302M made it easier. I’ve placed a back order for the 306UF with Amazon (it’s out of stock at the moment). It’s only £5 more than the 302UF at the moment - Amazon’s prices sometimes fluctuate a lot.

But I thought it might be worth getting the 302F. Then I thought - would it be better having all three in the same size and in hard cases? Or should I spend the nominal extra and get the 306UF??

Thanks guys/gals!
I've heard that Fallkniven's sharpening tools are great quality. I've not yet owned or used any of them.

But I will say again that you can't go wrong with any of Spyderco's sharpening tools. There are very few of them that I don't already own.

I've owned and used both sets of my Spyderco 302 stones since the early 2000s ( about 2000 or 01). With sharpening guides like the ones made by "Razor Edge Systems" out of Ely, MN USA are great for using the 302 benchstones.

Hey keep us posted and let us know how these new sharpening tools work out for you.. Also what vendor did you get your Fallkniven stones from?
kobold

Post by kobold »

The leather slip is nicer and I can strop on it. I just don't like plastic..

As for Fallkniven, the latest DC4 is a step back, because the diamond wears out fast.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kobold wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:59 pm
The leather slip is nicer and I can strop on it. I just don't like plastic..

As for Fallkniven, the latest DC4 is a step back, because the diamond wears out fast.
Well all I can say is that Fallkniven isn't the only diamond sharpener with that problem. The only two diamond sharpening stones I've personally had that didn't have that problem with are my 3M stones and the few DMT stones I have. Oh also I've got one Norton diamond stone that has held up nicely>> but it was up in the stratosphere price-wise.

I'm hoping that these new generation CBN stones will be an improvement over the problems that many of those diamond stones have had.

I'm still looking for improvements in the ceramic technologies. I bet they even come up with something harder than Spyderco's great stones>> and I'm betting that it might be Spyderco themselves that pull it off.