Endela: New Nr. 1 recommendation for a first / only / basic / good-value folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Endela: New Nr. 1 recommendation for a first / only / basic / good-value folder?

Post by Wartstein »

Sometimes (yet?) "non knife people" ask me to recommend a quality, but still affordable folder they could use as a general all purpose EDC knife.
Most times it is unclear, if they´ll get deeper into knives and aquire more than one eventually, or if they really just need one tool and one single "knife companion" for life.

I am quite sure that my recommendation will be the Endela, and no longer Delica or Endura, as soon as it is available:

My reasoning for that, thinking of a knife-beginner who maybe will develop more interest later:

- Very good quality for a very good price - so instead buying a more expensive Spyderco, one could get an Endela PLUS a sharpmaker for the same money and really is good to go
- VG 10 is easy too sharpen, still offers good edge holding and rustproofness, does not require too much care, and is a steel both beginners and advanced knife users seem to value
- The design without a choil places the hand close to the edge in an instincive, regular grip, while the Ricasso still offers safety when closing the knife willingly or by accident. When more experienced, choking up on the Ricasso occasionally is no problem at all.
- The Endela grip (other than the Delica) should be long enough for almost any hand size
- When you are new to knives and not sure what you´ll really use it for, the Delica can get a bit short in blade length, for example for food prep.
On the other hand, the Endura is "scary big" for some people, probably not legal in many places or socially not well accepted.
The Endela is the perfect size now!
- It´s slim, it´s light, it really should fit in most pockets while offering a decent amount of edge
- The backlock, while not "fidgety" enough for some (I personally love it) is still a very good and reliable beginners-lock, very strong and with no tendency to open in the pocket
- The Endela has a perfect "do it all"- FFG blade shape, the tip is fine but still robust enough so that even beginners probably won´t break it.

What do you think? Or what would be your affordable beginners recommendation?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Re: Endela: New Nr. 1 recommendation for a first / only / basic / good-value folder?

Post by sal »

Knife laws and blade length limits in some jurisdictions may affect your recommendation. That's one of the reasons I designed the Endela, because the Endura, which has a 4" blade is no longer legal in some areas as laws have changed. In some cases, the Delica with its 3" blade may be the largest one may carry.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Re: Endela: New Nr. 1 recommendation for a first / only / basic / good-value folder?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I for one, am psyched for this knife Sal! Always found the Endura to be a tad bit large for my typical daily use and the Delica sometimes a bit small. Can't wait for this one to drop, fantastic design sir!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I no longer suggest, recommend or give expensive knives to non knife people.
If someone wants to get into the knife world and only had SAKs and Opinels before I suggest the Byrd line.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm a big fan of the Delica as it works for me. The most common complaint I hear regarding the Delica is the grip not being a good fit (for those with big hands). Maybe the Endela will end this and those with big hands will find what they've been missing. Second most common complaint I hear is the blade being smaller than preference, so maybe those people will find this one to their liking as well. As far as complaints regarding FRN and VG10, that group will have to wait for an up-scaled version. I'll likely give the Endela a try when it becomes available but don't see it becoming my favorite EDC due to its slightly bigger size..

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I always suggest a Byrd Cara Cara for people new to quality knives. $25 is easy to swallow, and the quality is high enough people see a difference compared to what they're used to.

I've never had someone tell me they felt it was too big after trying it out.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am eager to see the Endela. I will buy one at some point. I would prefer to get one in hand, first, but that is not always easy to do where I live. The price is good, though.

We need one in PINK.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Most non knife people in my experience like smaller knives. I have received the best feedback when I have recommended either the Delica or the Chaparral. When I recommend the Para2 or the Stretch to folks they sometimes say they would prefer something smaller. These are just the non knife folks I am around though.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:46 am
Most non knife people in my experience like smaller knives. I have received the best feedback when I have recommended either the Delica or the Chaparral. When I recommend the Para2 or the Stretch to folks they sometimes say they would prefer something smaller. These are just the non knife folks I am around though.
My thought process was: If a non knife person really wants to stick with just only one knife for maybe life time, it's probably better to recommend something a bit longer so if need for a longer edge arises later on, the knife would offer that and a new purchase can be avoided.
Endela seems perfect here: Just a bit longer, but still non scary probably (but what do I know: It may surprise you, but knives don't scare ME... :D :D )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The Delica is the knife I recommend to 5 out of 10 newbies. The other 5 is the Pacific Salt. ( mostly fishermen )
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:23 pm
I always suggest a Byrd Cara Cara for people new to quality knives. $25 is easy to swallow, and the quality is high enough people see a difference compared to what they're used to.

Sure a good suggestion. Still, I personally think Endura or now especially Endela is an even better one (given that the person looking for a knife is not totally out of money).
To be honest, I never handled any knife of the Byrd line, so admittedly my following reasoning is very theoretical, and based just on what I read and looked at in depictions:

I think the quality of Endura / Endela / Delica should be noticeable even better than on a Byrd knife, especially VG10 is a more enjoyable steel than 8CR13MoV
Just from looking at the Cara Cara, I am quite sure that the handle of the Endela is more comfortable, has contouring and a better texture.
I´d sure prefer the totally round opening hole.
And, for me personally, a person with only basic interest in knives is better off without a choil, but rather a close-to-the-edge regular grip.

Now, my point:

If the "newbie" really wants to stick to only one knife for maybe life time, the price difference between Cara Cara and Endura/Endela, projected on that long period of time becomes quite irrelevant and I think the "non knife person" will be better off having a better quality knife all that time.

If on the other hand the "newbie" gets deeper interested in quality knives, he or she will probably still be happier to own a VG10 Endela as a first of more to come...

Just my 2 cents of course, and I am biased: Endura and VG10 are among my all time favorites... ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:03 am
Vivi wrote:

Sure a good suggestion. Still, I personally think Endura or now especially Endela is an even better one (given that the person looking for a knife is not totally out of money).
To be honest, I never handled any knife of the Byrd line, so admittedly my following reasoning is very theoretical, and based just on what I read and looked at in depictions:

I think the quality of Endura / Endela / Delica should be noticeable even better than on a Byrd knife, especially VG10 is a more enjoyable steel than 8CR13MoV
Just from looking at the Cara Cara, I am quite sure that the handle of the Endela is more comfortable, has contouring and a better texture.
I´d sure prefer the totally round opening hole.
And, for me personally, a person with only basic interest in knives is better off without a choil, but rather a close-to-the-edge regular grip.

Now, my point:

If the "newbie" really wants to stick to only one knife for maybe life time, the price difference between Cara Cara and Endura/Endela, projected on that long period of time becomes quite irrelevant and I think the "non knife person" will be better off having a better quality knife all that time.

If on the other hand the "newbie" gets deeper interested in quality knives, he or she will probably still be happier to own a VG10 Endela as a first of more to come...

Just my 2 cents of course, and I am biased: Endura and VG10 are among my all time favorites... ;)
People not into out hobby think $30 is too much for a pocket knife. They absolutely think $80-100 is too much. Whether you and I can justify it or not, they'd rather spend less.

I gifted an Efficient to a lady friend of mine and she likes it. I went with a smaller model for her because she has small hands. All my male friends have liked their Cara Caras. Got a buddy who EDC's his stainless steel Cara Cara to work every day.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:21 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:03 am
Vivi wrote:
People not into out hobby think $30 is too much for a pocket knife. They absolutely think $80-100 is too much.
Can't deny that, you are right in most cases... Still, if someone asks for my honest advise and opinion , I'll always recommend Endura/ Delica/ now Endela and VG10 first and make clear that in my view it totally is worth the extra money, especially projected on the long life span of a folder.

If the "newbie" still does not want to spend that amount of money, I'd recommend a byrd knife next
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:10 am
We need one in PINK.
Indeed, we (I) do.
Thank you!
Hälsningar,

Sigrid
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

With my apologies to Sal, I'm not impressed with the Byrd back locks, even at the price. That's one area where Spyderco's competitors are doing better than they are. The Endela will probably be popular because it's a just right size between the Endura and Delica. Personally, I'd rather spend $15 more to get a Stretch, which is nearly identical to the Endela in every dimension, but has a finger choil. I think the new value line Emphasis model might be easier for a new user to stomach at the roughly $50 price point. But the Kizer Vanguard Begleiter and Domin with G10 handles and similar length VG-10 blades for under $60 are going to be tough competition for the 8Cr13MoV bladed Spyderco value line.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:43 pm
I for one, am psyched for this knife Sal! Always found the Endura to be a tad bit large for my typical daily use and the Delica sometimes a bit small. Can't wait for this one to drop, fantastic design sir!!
I second that.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I'm excited to handle the Endela as I agree, it's a great size.

But........sorry I'll still always recommend a Rat 2 to non knife people.
araneae

Post by araneae »

From my experience, most non-knife people aren't looking to spend nearly what a delica goes for, and for most people a delica is a big knife. I'd be more likely to recommend a Byrd robin or meadowlark to someone looking to get a decent starter knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:58 pm
From my experience, most non-knife people aren't looking to spend nearly what a delica goes for, and for most people a delica is a big knife. I'd be more likely to recommend a Byrd robin or meadowlark to someone looking to get a decent starter knife.
You are right on that many non-knife-people consider Delica / Endela an expensive knife (heck, even I did back when the Delica became my first ever Spydie).

Still, my honest FIRST recommendation would be the Endela as soon as it is available, regardless if the "newbie" follows that advise or not.

Just cause I honestly think, that regardless if a person wants just ONE knife for maybe a lifetime, or gets deeper into knives and requires more later on, he or she is better of with the higher quality and better steel of a Delica/ Endela.. And the higher price becomes quite irrelevant, projected on the long life span of a Spyderco folder.

Sure, if the "newbie" absolutely can't swallow the prize I'd suggest a Byrd knife as a second choice, but would still emphasize that I think the Endela was a better choice..

/ And for me the Delica definitely is a SMALL knife... :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The calculus changes somewhat when gifting, rather than recommending a knife. I gifted a Stretch to a friend who would never spend that much on a folder. He kept losing his crappy beaters so I said, “Here is a high quality knife you will treasure and not lose.” And he hasn’t! That was almost 2 years ago and he still carries it. Win all around.