Spyderco Paring Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Spyderco Paring Knife

Post by Doc Dan »

I bought the Spyderco K05SRD like the one in the above picture. This is a very comfortable knife to use and the quality is definitely there. Of course, the serrated blade came as sharp as the proverbial razor.

Three issues I have noticed are: 1] the knife is a lot larger and wider than any of my paring knives from other makers, such as Buck, Forschner, Victorinox, and Henckels. This is both good and not so good. It is very nice for slicing, but it is not so good for smaller tasks. I would like to see this in a slimmer, smaller knife. This is not to say I do not like the knife, because I do. It is just something to note. 2] I do not know if it was transfer from a steel drying rack or if it was actually the blade, but I found a good sized rust spot on one of the serrations. It washed off, but I was surprised as I have not had that happen to any of my other knives. 3] I wonder if the Victorinox serration patter would not be better for this type of knife. The serrations on this knife work very well, however.

Over all, this is a great knife and was well worth the 20 something dollars it cost me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bh49

Re: Spyderco Paring Knife

Post by bh49 »

Doc,
this knife originally was called small utility knife. And I believe that that name reflect better capabilities of this knife. Spyderco is making mini paring knife, which used to be "paring knife". I have one from old run. Great tool. Originally my wife didn't like the shape. Now we are fighting for it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Like bh49said; Yep the mini pairing knife is a gem. The one you have is more of a small utility and not a size I use much in the kitchen at all. For something between your red one and the small pairing knife Victorinox has a small serrated wharnie that is very good and dirt cheap.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Like the others have said, I would not consider that a paring knife and don't know why they call it that.

I have the blue handled utility knife. It is serrated like your red one but a little longer. It works well. I like the serration pattern on it and the blade is thin and flexible. I only use it for certain tasks but it does them well. I have said it many times but it cuts bagels (the real NY kind, not the bagel shaped bread) like a champ. The handle is a little on the small side for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

You should try the K09, it's a flipping scalpel. While small for some jobs it's great for fruit work and peeling. My buddy just cut the snot out of his finger around Christmas with this knife, so sharp he didn't even know he'd done it until the blood started dripping.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was expecting a paring knife and was really surprised when the knife turned out to be so big. It is a great design for a utility knife, however. It is definitely not a 'paring' knife. I want a serrated paring knife as my wife prefers that and a big plus is that I do not have to keep re-sharpening the knife every couple of days.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

yeah, i wish they would make a traditional small 3" paring knife. one that looks like this, but in a smaller 3" blade.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

We have a K05 and we use it as a utility knife as the catalog describes. When we need a paring knife we go to an actual paring knife. I still need to pick up a K09PBK
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Sharp Guy wrote:We have a K05 and we use it as a utility knife as the catalog describes. When we need a paring knife we go to an actual paring knife. I still need to pick up a K09PBK
You really do. We've given away several to friends and family who have been impressed after trying ours.