Spyderco HatchetHawk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Slice 'n dice

Spyderco HatchetHawk

Post by Slice 'n dice »

I've been looking at this for a while. I would love to have this for camping/ canoeing. It seems it was rumored a while back on SpyderCollecters page, although he didn't have a lot of info. It also seems it was supposed to be released by 2017, although that chance seems slim at this point. I just wanted to know if there are any more rumors or updates on this spyder?
Grasshopper 3CR, Dragonfly 2 H1, Tenacious 8CR13MOV, ParaMilitary 2 CPM S110V, Small Paring Knife MBS-26, Roadie N690Co, Urban K390, Baliyo Grey, Manbug HAP40.
sal

Re: Spyderco HatchetHawk

Post by sal »

Hi Slice & Dice,

We just finished testing the most recent proto (there have been a few) and it handled our abuse just fine. Still possible for this year, though late in the year.

sal
Slice 'n dice

Post by Slice 'n dice »

Thanks so much Sal! Good to hear. Sounds like it will be a good workhorse around the campsite.
Grasshopper 3CR, Dragonfly 2 H1, Tenacious 8CR13MOV, ParaMilitary 2 CPM S110V, Small Paring Knife MBS-26, Roadie N690Co, Urban K390, Baliyo Grey, Manbug HAP40.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It has really been intriguing that the recent explosion of popularity that axes, hatchets and tomahawks have garnered in the past two years or so. There has been an under-current of growing popularity since Bernie Weisgerber did his great video and book put out by the US Forest Service a few years back. I highly advise any of you who have any interest in these types of edged tools to check out Mr. Weisgerber's great video and book. I think that the book is still available on pdf files and I think that a hard copy of the book and video can still be got through the US forest Service for a modest price I've been told.

I believe at one time Mr. Weisgerber actually joined this forum a few years back but I've only seen him post maybe a half a dozen times or so. But his information on axes is far above the best I've seen. My own interest has been increased in those types of edged tools and there is a great sub-forum over at Bladeforums which covers all of those types of tools.

If any of you know of any other good books or information or even videos on axes, hatchets or tomahawks I would appreciate it if you would share it with us. I'm curious as to which blade steel Spyderco is going to use on their new hatchethawk? A friend of mine has one made with S7 tool steel and it's great.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD, the prototype was 5160. ;) It was also American made! I am partial to wood handles but I did split 6 full cords of hardwood for last winter with a Fiskars splitting axe and I have about 6 ready to be split right now and I have every intention of using the Fiskars again. A polymer handle can be very durable from what I have seen. That poor Fiskars saw more than it's share of over strikes. :o

American made axes have all but disappeared and everybody has been focused on the Swedish axes for some time now. Thankfully Council Tool has stayed at it making axes here in the USA and they have recently come out with a few premium axes with the intention of competing in the premium axe market. The Woodcraft and Velvicut axes by Council tool both look great and I have had the opportunity to use some of the Velvicut line and they were very nice. Both of those use 5160 as well and are made right in Waccamaw, NC.

Interestingly the Hatchethawk was stamped Waccamaw, NC. ;) Me thinks that is a really good thing. :) Should be a good steel and heat treat from what I have seen.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Slice 'n dice

Post by Slice 'n dice »

Thanks JD and bearfacekiller for the info! I too would prefer a nice wood (like Hickory), but if it brings the price down, i would be fine with a plastic handle as well. It sounded like the prototype had some sort of aluminum rod on the inside of the polymer for added strength?, which would be good. I went on a short 3 day canoe trip in the boundary waters this summer and was wishing that I had a good axe (or any at all). I like carrying spyders so this should remedy both problems. I wonder if we can have a sprint in a wood handle and leather sheath?