Did the 701 Profiles length change?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
monsterdog

Did the 701 Profiles length change?

Post by monsterdog »

I bought my 701 Profiles quite a few years back, and today I was looking at sharpening stones online and noticed they are listed as being 8 inches long. That didn't seem right, so found mine and measured them. Sure enough, the ones I have are 4 inches long.

When did this change?
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Well, according to the 1994 catalog, back then (16 years ago) they already were 8", and even in the year before, the catalog shows them being exactly the same.

1994:

1993:

Isn't 4" a little short to conveniently free-hand sharpen knives? You have to hold the stones in the hand to begin with.... that doesn't leave much room for sharpening action, does it?
When did you buy them? Could you post some pics?

The jeweler's kit stones seem to be 5" though.

Dennis
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I bought them a long time ago, but probably after 1994. They came in individual little suede pouches with Spyderco marks on them (long since worn off the suede). The stones and pouches are identical to pictures I've seen, except shorter.

The stones are definitely up to Spyderco quality, so I don't think they are fakes or anything. Edges are straight, the surfaces smooth and they sharpen just great.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures. The knife is a Delica 4, for size comparison.

sal

Post by sal »

We did a short run a 4" pieces some time back.

sal
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Actually, they look neat ;) Great to carry outdoors without fear of breaking. Looking at them, I am pretty sure they work well, too.

Dennis
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

sal wrote:We did a short run a 4" pieces some time back.
Thanks for the clarification, Sal. I knew there was a logical explanation :)
Murdoc wrote:Actually, they look neat ]

Yes, they work great and are pretty pocket friendly. Of course its a pain to sharpen an 8 inch chefs knife on them, but for my sub-4 inch folders they work just fine. I tend to use them as crock sticks rather than tabletop stones.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

Spyderco should bring these back into production!
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
JD Spydo

702 Profiles~~ the little brother of 701

Post by JD Spydo »

monsterdog wrote:I bought my 701 Profiles quite a few years back, and today I was looking at sharpening stones online and noticed they are listed as being 8 inches long. That didn't seem right, so found mine and measured them. Sure enough, the ones I have are 4 inches long.

When did this change?
Monsterdog what you have is a set of 702 Profiles. Few people remember that Spyderco also had sets of 4 inch profiles in their line up for a while right along with the 8 inch long 701 Profiles. I have 2 sets of the older 702 Profiles. The shorter models are great for tackle boxes and really ideal for deburring and other machine tool usage.

I think that the 702 Profiles were discontinued sometime around 2003 to 2004. They dried up fast off the market because you don't even see them on Ebay very often. They are about as rare as Spyderco's older Galley V sharpening system. You hardly ever see one of those or hear about that model at all.

The 702 Profiles are great for sharpening small Spyderedged blades. They work great on my serrated Native model and on my serrated Cricket. But that's what you got is a set of 702 Profiles
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

JD Spydo wrote: They are about as rare as Spyderco's older Galley V sharpening system. You hardly ever see one of those or hear about that model at all.
Funny you mention the Galley V, I recently saw a small stockpile of theses at local knife store complete with very old sun faded boxes. I entertained buying one for few minutes....

Jez
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Good sharpeners that never got public attention

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sort of surprised that the 702 Profiles ( the shorter version of the 701 model) didn't make it on the sales charts. Because their shorter length made them very handy for several applications. Particularly in a machine tool job where a shorter tool is very handy in many cases.

They were a really handy gem in a tackle box or even a back pack and better yet in a bug out bag. But then again it surprised me that the "Cat's Eye" stones in the older Galley V Sharpening system didn't get a lot of fanfare. Because they truly are a great sharpener for Hawkbills and the best sharpening tool I"ve encountered for reverse S blades like the Dodo and PE Cricket.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

A brown 702 would be the answer to my quest. I've thought long and hard about the Double Stuff, but my serrated pocket mates would be somewhat excluded...

How should one go to break cleanly in half a 701? Is it remotely doable?
:spyder: 7 Millies, 4 Paras, 2 Calys, 2 Enduras, 1 Chinook, 1 Manix, 1 Delica, 1 UKPK, 1 Tasman, 1 D'fly
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It could possibly be done, but it would be risky. Send me your shipping address and I'll send you a set of slightly used 702s after the holidays. :)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Crocodilo

Post by Crocodilo »

That's very generous of you, but I could never accept such offer: I have a 701 set for myself and I'm sure you know a lot of people more needy in these times. This gesture of yours pays high tribute to the spirit of this Forum! Thank you!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, if you would rather try shortening your 701s, the method most likely to succeed would be to score a groove all the way around the stone where you want it to break using an abrasive cut off disk, then clamp half of the stone firmly to a flat surface and push down on the other half. Unless you have a diamond saw for cutting ceramic tile, in which case you can just cut them to length. :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I remember the 702's. Mainly because I bought a set on closeout. Too bad they didn't catch on, because they are just right for travel.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
JD Spydo

Diamond cutting and scoring tools

Post by JD Spydo »

yablanowitz wrote:Well, if you would rather try shortening your 701s, the method most likely to succeed would be to score a groove all the way around the stone where you want it to break using an abrasive cut off disk, then clamp half of the stone firmly to a flat surface and push down on the other half. Unless you have a diamond saw for cutting ceramic tile, in which case you can just cut them to length. :D
What Yab is saying is the correct way to do it. There is a tile chain that used to be big here in this area and they are known as "Colortile". They sell ceramic tile for all kinds of home and commercial tile work. They sell a diamond impregnated coping type saw which would probably cut through the entire stone but it would take a while because the Spyderco ceramic is some extremely dense and tough material.

Commercial glass installers have a diamond type scribe that would score the surface to where you should be able to snap it right off at the half way mark. If you would happen to know anyone who is a serious rock collector and they do polishing and lapidary type work they would probably have a diamond saw that would do the job.

But do take heed to what Yab says because ceramics are brittle material as a general rule and they could shatter into many pieces. Also do wear eye protection when working with diamond or ceramic. The shards could be potentially dangerous to your eyes. JD