Question about Tenacious, for sal and the spyderco company? :)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
realitycheck

Question about Tenacious, for sal and the spyderco company? :)

Post by realitycheck »

Hey I just sharpened my tenacious last night and realized how much I really like this knife.
My quick question is for the spyderco crew, will we ever see the tenacious in a upgraded blade steel, such as vg-10, s30v, or zdp????
I noticed that every post I read about the tenacious is a good post everyone loves this knife. I mean its already g-10,full liners. Its a wonderful knife, I truly enjoy carrying. I normally dont buy two knives of the same one. But if the blade steel was upgraded I would have to buy another one. Maybe I'll just give this one away. :D
Anyway, thanks guys,
Chet
A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it’s going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

Everyman dies, Few men truly live!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chet,

The first attraction to the Tenacious is the value at the price. The best steel that was readily available was the 8Cr13MoV. We're experimenting with 9Cr18Mo and should have a "Mule Team" piece later this year. It is more difficult to work with so it's still experimental.

Using a USA made or Japanese steel, assuming they can work with them (a big assumption) would significantly increase the price (import tax, holding tax, new heat rreat methods, new grinding methods, etc) and we would not be gaining much.

We would be better off to make the model in Japan with a Japanese steel, etc. But then we're into much higher cost, which means much lower sales.

As an intro model, it's ideal. As a high line model???

sal
Jamie n

Post by Jamie n »

While we are on the subject of the Tenacious Sal, any plans to do any different G-10 colours?

I only have to imagine a Tenacious in Foliage Green and :eek:
boboakalfb

Post by boboakalfb »

Jamie n wrote:While we are on the subject of the Tenacious Sal, any plans to do any different G-10 colours?

I only have to imagine a Tenacious in Foliage Green and :eek:
Orange? At those prices it wouldn't be difficult to collect the whole set. :D
cali

Post by cali »

Hi all!
Tenacious is one of the best Spyderco projects I ever had - comfortable handle, no choil, long edge - I would love to see Japanese version! Green G-10 would be nice too :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cali,

Welcome to the Syderco forum and thanx for the vote of confidence.

Would you pay $150 for it?

sal
cali

Post by cali »

sal wrote:Hi Cali,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for the vote of confidence.

Would you pay $150 for it?

sal
No. I think 100$-110$ is reasonable street price for VG-10 Tenacious, it should be cheaper than Military :)
I have nothing against China, but this knife deserves for better steel :)
sal

Post by sal »

cali wrote:No. I think 100$-110$ is reasonable street price for VG-10 Tenacious, it should be cheaper than Military :)
I have nothing against China, but this knife deserves for better steel :)
Pretty hard to do at this time. The Chinese dollar (Yuan) right now costs about $.35 cents. The Japanese dollar (Yen) costs abot $1.15. I know it's difficult to understand, but the price of the Tenacious is the result of a cheap Chinese dollar.

also, the Chinese don't seem to do too well with consistent colors in G-10 at this time.

sal
Projek

Post by Projek »

sal wrote:Pretty hard to do at this time. The Chinese dollar (Yuan) right now costs about $.35 cents. The Japanese dollar (Yen) costs abot $1.15. I know it's difficult to understand, but the price of the Tenacious is the result of a cheap Chinese dollar.

also, the Chinese don't seem to do too well with consistent colors in G-10 at this time.

sal
Hi Sal

Do you mind telling me what part of China were these knives made in? Because I go to China quite often for my footwear business. Mostly in the deep south of Guangdong and Fujian Province.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Sal - I really love what you did with this knife. I dont often buy doubles (well, never actually) but I do have 2 of these in PE.

Part of what I like about this knife is also it's price. I dont have any issues using this knife for a lot of things I'd think twice about with more expensive ones. Also, IF I should lose this knife, it'd be quite cheap to replace compared to other Spydercos.
I understand that another steel would up the price quite a lot. Although it'd be nice (I love VG-10), part of the charm of this knife IS it's steel with the pricetag that comes with it.

For me, it's a winner.

Thanks, and best regards,

JaM
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Sal said, "also, the Chinese don't seem to do too well with consistent colors in G-10 at this time."

I say take advantage of the desire for colors and turn this into a feature:

TENACIOUS NOW AVAILABLE IN AN INFINITE VARIETY OF COLORS!
(color cannot be specified with order, a random color will be sent)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

realitycheck wrote:Hey I just sharpened my tenacious last night and realized how much I really like this knife.
My quick question is for the spyderco crew, will we ever see the tenacious in a upgraded blade steel, such as vg-10, s30v, or zdp????
I noticed that every post I read about the tenacious is a good post everyone loves this knife. I mean its already g-10,full liners. Its a wonderful knife, I truly enjoy carrying. I normally dont buy two knives of the same one. But if the blade steel was upgraded I would have to buy another one. Maybe I'll just give this one away. :D
Anyway, thanks guys,
Chet
Well, not to butt into a conversation, but...

There are some models that are somewhat similar to the tenacious that are already made in the US or Japan. Granted, they cost more, but they have the upgraded steels.

The Military, Para, Manix, UKPK, Chinook, Barong, Khukri, Lil-Temp (if you can find one), and Sage are are quite similar to the Tenacious in terms of build materials and blade shape, while the Dragonfly, S, Kopa, Lum Chinese, Stretch, Urban, Navigator, Salsa, Volpe, and Pikal also share many similarities to the Tenacious in one way or annother.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you find yourself wishing a certain model was different, maybe it's time to step back and see what else there is to offer. I know many of us are on the quest for perfection, but variety is the spice of life :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Morales

Post by Morales »

Just sharpened my Tenacious today and it still amazes how easy that is. I love my Tenacious just the way it is, for me it needs no upgrade in steel. The scales might need some variation, but there's help http://shop.cuscadi.de/

Thank you Sal for such a great knife, it's more worth than the 50€ that I paid.
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions for vegetarianism, as long as the wolves remain of a different opinion. William Ralph Inge
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry Projek, privileged info.

Thanx Jam.

Hey Sequimite, interesting perspective. I'll have to think about that. ;)

Hi Joe,

The Tenacious, while appearing simple, is a very refined design. It was created for a particular type of customer that liked certain features. (High cutting edge/blade length ratio, certain heft, etc). Eric and I refined the design continuosly for over 6 months before we were satisfied that the design would serve the customer. There is nothing really quite like it in our line up.

We have spent the past 6 months refining its smaller bother, the "Persistence".

sal
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

......I appreciate that there are a variety of pricepoints....not all my "occasions" call for a $100 Spydie. If Spyderco continually upgrades their successful "budget" models with more expensive "add-ons", what's the point of producing an economy line ? Especially in this time of "tightening" purchase power, a well-made budget Spyderco makes perfect sense. And the Tenacious is just about perfect as is.............. :)

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
realitycheck

Post by realitycheck »

Sal thanks for the reply. I understand exactly what your saying. I'm glad you guys spent so much time on the tenacious project, cause its a great knife.

Cobrajoe, I already have the mini manix and the para. I love them too. I just love the feel of the tenacious in my hands.
A realitycheck is a time in your life where you do a check of your heart. A time you check where your relationship with God is and where it’s going. Then you make a decision as to where your going from here.

Everyman dies, Few men truly live!
Azad

Post by Azad »

So many good words said about the Tenacious... Ok, I'll get one to try out. USD30 for a Spyderco is a great deal IMO. Only thing that has been keeping me away was the lack of a ricasso or choil. I know many users prefer this as you get more cutting edge but I really like the added safety they offer.

Azad
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

sal wrote:Sorry Projek, privileged info.

Thanx Jam.

Hey Sequimite, interesting perspective. I'll have to think about that. ;)

Hi Joe,

The Tenacious, while appearing simple, is a very refined design. It was created for a particular type of customer that liked certain features. (High cutting edge/blade length ratio, certain heft, etc). Eric and I refined the design continuosly for over 6 months before we were satisfied that the design would serve the customer. There is nothing really quite like it in our line up.

We have spent the past 6 months refining its smaller bother, the "Persistence".

sal
I guess that is true that there is nothing like quite like it. But then again, the came could almost be said of almost every spyderco offering. Sure, some of them share handle shapes (like the Mili, Civi, and somewhat of the Para), but they all have different locks and different blades. Unlike some companies, there is never "exactly this but smaller", The Delica has different egros and blade profile than the bigger brother Endura, even the Urban has a different handle shape than the UKPK.

I've noticed this many times before, when I thought a knife looked perfect but was just a little too big. The independent design of each knife makes for the best possible egros, but can become a tiny bit annoying when you're looking for a very specific combination.

Heck, the designs seem so spot on that 9 times out of 10 when I draw up a design of my own, it ends up looking like something that was offered from Spyderco at one time or another.

I'm really quite curious about this "persistence", would it be something that might come for sale? (Because I might have to get one :D )
realitycheck wrote:Sal thanks for the reply. I understand exactly what your saying. I'm glad you guys spent so much time on the tenacious project, cause its a great knife.

Cobrajoe, I already have the mini manix and the para. I love them too. I just love the feel of the tenacious in my hands.
Well, I guess you already know... I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if there are any other tenacious's coming. (This 9Cr steel sounds interesting)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Manix Guy 2

Sal a lefty !

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Still want to see a lefty version ! A Sage would be nice too ! Regards MG2
tap

Post by tap »

sal wrote:We have spent the past 6 months refining its smaller bother, the "Persistence".

sal
I'm in.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.