Pros & cons of the 204 & 701MF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jsholli

Pros & cons of the 204 & 701MF

Post by jsholli »

Hey guys,

Could you all give me your ideas and opinions on the sharpmaker vs. the 8" profile set? I have never seen either one except in pics and need some advice on which one to use most effectively in sharpening serrated blades :o

I don't see a big difference in the price between them; so, does one offer a great advantage over the other?

Thanks
jh
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

well the 204 is an assisted sharpener. Just keep the blade straight and you get shaving sharp. The 701 is free-hand so you need some skill but both are the same quality of stone and will sharpen serrations easily.

I'm thinking of buying a 302 ultra-fine as a finishing touch for those time I sharpen free-hand. The rest is being taken care by the 204

-Dean
CKE

Post by CKE »

Go with the 204. Watch the video(a couple of times :D ) and the 204 is foolproof. Works like a charm. Sharpens all my blades just fine. Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
jsholli

Post by jsholli »

Well, I guess I'm going against the grain here and being stubborn, but after looking at my old :spyder: 'minimag, I think that I'll have to go with the 701MF :o

Keep in mind that I'm trying to find the right tool for serrations. The 204 looks like a great assisted sharpener for PEs, but the 701's variably rounded corners look more suited to serrations--at least from the pics. I have no need at all for a PE system, I already have access to a custom knife shop. I guess if the 701 doesn't fit the SE's groves, I could always try the baby-lanksy for :spyder: s.

Thanks for all your P[size=-2]s[/size]OV
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
jsholli

Post by jsholli »

BTW; found the 701MF for great price at http://www.bestknives.com, though they don't really have outstanding knife prices
JD Spydo

Do it up right!

Post by JD Spydo »

Go ahead and break out the wallet and just get all of them. I have the 204, the 701 & the 400f file set. I use all of them from time to time. I do a lot of work in machine tool shops and I find the ceramic files indispensible. You will find that all of the sharpening tools that the Great Spyder Factory puts out are very useful. Also when you get the 204 please also get the diamond & ultra fine stones that you can buy extra for the kit. It truly makes the 204 the very best of all of the sharpening kits on the market today. ;) :spyder: :)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Don't forget about their WONDERFUL stones
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!!!

Wow, never thought I'd see someone post about the "under-rated" Pro-File set!!!

I have both the Pro-File set as well as a Sharpmaker. In truth, I use my Pro-File set more than I do my 204...a plus here with the Pro-File is that I use the leather sheath to strop after I am done sharpening! :D Now THAT works like a charm!!!

Ya know, come to think of it, even when I do bust out my 204, I free hand...never placing the stones in the base?! :confused: :D

Good choice on that Pro-File set!!!

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
klattman

Post by klattman »

jsholli wrote:Well, I guess I'm going against the grain here and being stubborn, but after looking at my old :spyder: 'minimag, I think that I'll have to go with the 701MF :o

Keep in mind that I'm trying to find the right tool for serrations. The 204 looks like a great assisted sharpener for PEs, but the 701's variably rounded corners look more suited to serrations--at least from the pics. I have no need at all for a PE system, I already have access to a custom knife shop. I guess if the 701 doesn't fit the SE's groves, I could always try the baby-lanksy for :spyder: s.

Thanks for all your P[size=-2]s[/size]OV
The 204 does a FANTASTIC job on serrations. The smaller the points on a stone are, the easier it is to pull-sharpen like a PE and still get into the serrations. The profile might be more useful if you want to hit every serration individually though...
JD Spydo

You're both right!

Post by JD Spydo »

Hello Klattman & Garage Boy: All I can say is "Right on!!" with what both of you had to say. First of all Garage Boy when I was doing my rundown on the other ceramic tools I can't believe that I left out the super quality benchstones. More and more I find myself using them for really precision sharpening. As much as I adore the 204 unit I must be honest in saying that when I want the sharpening job to be totally precision I use the stones with a
"RAZOR EDGE" sharpening guide ( made by Razor EDGE out of Ely Minnesota).
I can take that ultra fine benchstone and make a hunting knife so sharp you can get whiskers to just "pop" off of your face. Great point Garage Boy.

And Klattman I totally agree with you on the 204's ability to do serrations in top quality fashion. At first I kind of looked at it the way the other Brother did. I couldn't visualize how possibly it could do serrations. But after watching that video of Mr. Glesser's it didn't take me long at all to get the hang of it. That's what really made me fall in love with Spyderco's products.
They really covered the sharpening aspect of the hobby. Without being sharp you simply just have something pretty to look at. :) :spyder: :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

It took me some practice to sharpen serrations with the 204, but now I have decent results.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.