Tip snapped on my Paramilitary 2...Options?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pcexbird

Tip snapped on my Paramilitary 2...Options?

Post by Pcexbird »

The tip of my Paramilitary 2 snapped off and I hear Spyderco does not replace blades. What is one to do to obtain a replacement? It's the DLC S30V Clip Point. Thank you
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight
sal

Re: Tip snapped on my Paramilitary 2...Options?

Post by sal »

Hi Pcexbird,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your incident. You can sent it to Spyderco and we can regrind it to a point, depending on how much broke off. We wouldn't replace the coating on the ground part as it would be cost prohibitive to coat just one blade. You ca contact our customer service dept for more info.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

As an alternative, River's Edge Cutlery offers a custom cerakote service + professional sharpening. You might be able to talk with them about taking on this job.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 pm
Hi Pcexbird,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your incident. You can sent it to Spyderco and we can regrind it to a point, depending on how much broke off. We wouldn't replace the coating on the ground part as it would be cost prohibitive to coat just one blade. You ca contact our customer service dept for more info.

sal
I didn’t know you offered that service. Good to know. I’ve brought back the tip on one I rounded off with poor/beginner sharpening technique, but if I ever break one it’s headed your way!
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I would let spyderco take care of you. They are fantastic.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pcexbird wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:36 pm
The tip of my Paramilitary 2 snapped off ....

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post pics of how the tip looks right now? (Here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968 is one way how to upload pics)

Nornally it is not hard to regrind a broken tip diy if one has basic sharpening gear.

Though sending the to Spyderco would be a safe option of course.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

DrHE wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 pm
I counter that while Spyderco is very very good, fantastic service would include blade replacement at a reasonable charge. For whatever reason spyderco has elected not to replace knife blades, and while I don’t support their choice, it is their choice and they do provide great service. I just wish they could offer this service. Realistically how many requests would come in for this service?
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:50 am
DrHE wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 pm
I counter that while Spyderco is very very good, fantastic service would include blade replacement at a reasonable charge. For whatever reason spyderco has elected not to replace knife blades, and while I don’t support their choice, it is their choice and they do provide great service. I just wish they could offer this service. Realistically how many requests would come in for this service?
I imagine there are multiple factors that make it cost/time prohibitive for them. You'd have to match the blade to the knife and make sure tolerances are correct or else you could ruin the action, introduce blade play, etc.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Buck Knives will replace the blades on almost all of their folding knives for a very reasonable fee*. Remember, these are mostly pinned knives and it is more difficult to repair them vs screwed together knives. It's always good to hear something from outside the echo chamber.

*Posted under their Warranty FAQS.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just post a photo. Tip repair is usually pretty straight forward. Unless you want to move the new tip away from the current cutting edge (that would be more work and require a regrind), you just drop the spine until new tip is formed. You can decide whether you want to keep the spine straight or make the point less pointy.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Pcexbird

Post by Pcexbird »

Thank you so kindly will send in to spyderco after talking to CSR thanks for the replies!
E|D|C
:respect Cold Steel Tuff-Lite
:cyclone Case XX 5finn Fixed Blade
:flashlight LetmY 18650/UV395/1kLm Flashlight