K390 Shaman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: K390 Shaman?

Post by sal »

Hi JuPaul,

I believe the color for K390 will be very dark blue or very dark gray. I don't remember which. :o This will be for all of the k390 FRN models, regardless of where they are made.

sal
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 pm
Hi JuPaul,

I believe the color for K390 will be very dark blue or very dark gray. I don't remember which. :o This will be for all of the k390 FRN models, regardless of where they are made.

sal
You made my night! The color for the k390 ladybug looks really nice. Might as well sign me up for that frn Shaman right now... ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:44 pm
sal wrote:
Hi JuPaul,

sal
You made my night! The color for the k390 ladybug looks really nice. Might as well sign me up for that frn Shaman right now... ;)
I don't believe Sal was referring to an FRN Shaman, but instead was referring to a K390 Wharncliffe Delica as "in the plan." Just speculation though.
- Nick :bug-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm
JuPaul wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi JuPaul,

sal
I don't believe Sal was referring to an FRN Shaman, but instead was referring to a K390 Wharncliffe Delica as "in the plan." Just speculation though.
I think you may be right, but either of those two would look great in FRN, and would also look great in G10 on a k390 Shaman, DLC or satin IMO... although frankly, if it's a K390 Shaman, I will buy it in hot pink if that's the only colour choice, I have no problem firing up a batch of Rit !
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi Albatross,
Also, Albatross, If we were to make a byrd model called the Albatross, what should it be?

sal
It should be a very large neck knife. ;)

Ah, I hope someone gets the joke.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:53 pm
JuPaul wrote:
sal wrote:
Hi JuPaul,

sal
He asked on the previous page if there was any interest in an frn Shaman in k390. So I asked for frn with a color, and he responded to that - if there was an frn Shaman in k390, it would have the same color as the other frn k390 models.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Albatross wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:54 pm
The upcoming K390 Seki line was slow to become a reality, since there was a shortage of K390 last year. I wonder if it's generally not made in large quantities, or maybe it was just bad timing. Maybe 10V is the same? It might explain the limited releases.
Hi Albatross,

In reality, I spent almost two years preparing the the Endura family in K390.

First I had to get the steel, make a mule team and gauge reaction. Then I had to work with our Seki maker for a year to get him to grind the steel and heat treat the way I wanted. There were a number of failures. Then I had to test the steel in a model to see market reaction. ( Police 4 in G-10, I had to create a new design )Then I had to make sure he could and would accept the order. (I also had to fend off an exclusive customer that wanted the project after I'd already been working on it for years). Then we had to wait for the foundry to make the steel, Which wasn't a big seller for them.

Far slower and far more work than you may have thought.

Next question, Any interest in an FRN Shaman in K390?

Also, Albatross, If we were to make a byrd model called the Albatross, what should it be?

sal
Hi Sal,

Getting K390 to market sounds like it was quite time consuming, but very worth it, since there appears to be quite a demand for it. I always enjoy learning about Spyderco's history, as well as what it takes for certain products to be made. If the P4 didn't have K390, I might not have tried what ended up being one of my favorite knife/steel combos.

An FRN Shaman would be great. Is there any possibility of a high hollow grind on the FRN version, to cut down on blade weight?

Wow, I'm flattered you would ask my opinion on a potential model. Given the agressive look Albatrosses have, I think a Wharncliffe blade would be perfect. It also would be a nice nod to the shape of the Albatross' beak. The Byrd line seems to be missing a good utility Wharncliffe blade. Since the CaraCara 2 is 4", it might not make sense to go larger, unless the market is there for it. A 3-3.5" blade, hump-less, Wharncliffe, in a budget line, would be perfect for no-nonsense tradesmen and do-it-yourselfers. I do have a very rough sketch of a Wharncliffe blade I've been dreaming of.
Attachments
20200320_113900.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

We'll probably keep the full flat on the Shaman to be able to take more "abuse". I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. 'mI thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight.

I'll think about your byrd idea. Harrier 2 handle might work? 3.5" blade.

sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Hi Albatross,

We'll probably keep the full flat on the Shaman to be able to take more "abuse". I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. 'mI thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight.

sal
" Medicine woman"?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:56 pm
Hi Albatross,

sal
Hi Sal,

Well, I do like the sound of the "kissing cousin" knife, which would make a nice companion to my Shaman.

The Harrier 2 handle looks perfect and 3.5" is definitely nice sweet spot for blade length.

Thank you for your consideration and all the info!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Ooo, a shaman cousin. Sounds fantastic!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 am
sal wrote:

Hi Albatross,

sal

*sniff* I guess no one got it.

From Wikipedia:
"Albatross
The albatross as a superstitious relic is referenced in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's well-known poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It is considered very unlucky to kill an albatross; in Coleridge's poem, the narrator killed the bird and his fellow sailors eventually force him to wear the dead bird around his neck. "
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Does this mean that there might be a return of a Police in K390 ? I'd buy that over the Rex45 Chief, though a model with a thicker blade stock would be welcome too...
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

I think Sal mentioned K390 potentially going into the Police 4 LW if the base model sold reasonably well. Seems likely to happen eventually since the whole Seki lineup is going to be released in K390.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Theldraskien wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:52 pm
I think Sal mentioned K390 potentially going into the Police 4 LW if the base model sold reasonably well. Seems likely to happen eventually since the whole Seki lineup is going to be released in K390.
[+1]

Yes indeed, that's how I have understood it as well... I have not been this excited about the Seki lineup in quite some time -- I dare say I'm downright 'gitty' with excitement! :) :rolleyes: :p ;) :D
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I would definitely be in for a K390 Police lightweight
Justin :spyder:
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I know this is a dated thread but has there been any progress on s Shaman in K390? That steel with dark blue micarta or G-10 scales would be pretty awesome.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 am
sal wrote:

Hi Albatross,

sal

You, sir, win the internet.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

While I look forward to a K390 Shaman, I just hope that some dealer other than BBS would put in their resources for this exclusive.

BBS's pricing for their exclusives these days have been nothing but absurd. In the past 2 years their K390 PM2 and P3 have shot past north of $200 and into Shaman territory pricing. All of that with separate shipping fees and no international shipping. I shudder to think how much would a BBS Shaman possibly cost.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:56 am
While I look forward to a K390 Shaman, I just hope that some dealer other than BBS would put in their resources for this exclusive.

BBS's pricing for their exclusives these days have been nothing but absurd. In the past 2 years their K390 PM2 and P3 have shot past north of $200 and into Shaman territory pricing. All of that with separate shipping fees and no international shipping. I shudder to think how much would a BBS Shaman possibly cost.
Maybe a K390 Manix will come along too.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.