Have you found "the one?"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Yes
41%
No
37%
Other
22%

Total votes: 76

vivi

Post by vivi »

Have you found "the one?" If so, post it, and tell us how you found it!

For me it's the Pacific Salt.

I bought a PE Pacific Salt and SE Tasman Salt back when Spyderco launched their salt line. I had an issue rusting pocket knives and multitools while being active, and a rust proof steel intrigued me.

They were rust proof alright, but I wasn't really impressed overall. So light they felt flimsy, and the plastic handles didn't feel as good as lined G10. Edge retention wasn't great on the Pacific, and overall it just wasn't a knife I'd pick up and think "wow." Comparing it to my Military, C95 Manix and Police 3, those all felt more impressive.

Over the years I kept using those salts for jobs I didn't want to use my nicer knives for. Gradually I came to appreciate the Pacific more and more. Somewhere around 2014-2015 I started reaching for it every day instead of my Military, Para 2 etc. viewtopic.php?t=68426

These days I own about 20 Pacific Salts. I have some 1's, some 2's, some in H1, some in LC200N, some in PE, some in SE. I love every version of it.

It took me close to a decade and hundreds of models to find my favorite Spyderco, but I finally found it. Have you found the perfect one for you?
:unicorn
Evil D

Re: Have you found "the one?"

Post by Evil D »

Nope. Not until I design it myself. I've got a lot of great fillers but until Sal calls me and tells me to design one I'll still be looking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Only until I find the next "one." :rofl
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Tough call. But for Spyderco knives...this one hasn't been replaced by any other Spyderco as "the one"

There's a few to give it a run for their money, but ultimately...it's the one and has been for around 3 years?

Favorite model, favorite steel, favorite lock, favorite scale material. Hard to beat all that!

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

No, but I'm learning more about what I like instead of relying on the opinions of others. I guess you could say I'm getting closer to finding it.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I stopped looking for “the one” years ago when I realized it will never exist.

The PPT Perrin is my favorite design Spyderco has produced but the Lil Native is my favorite to carry and use. The Squarehead is one of my favorite designs and also one of my favorites to carry and use. There’s too much variety and I’m too easily captivated by design to settle on just one.
-Nick :bug-red
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am still looking myself. Next one to try is the Native 5 Maxamet I just got off the senonds sale, should be here tomorrow.

But the best I have found is the Manix 2 so far for me. I do wish it had a bit more cutting edge like the PM2 then it might be perfect. The PM2 blade length is great, I just like the Manix 2 blade shape better.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

"There can be only one" is a tortuous myth. :zany
z1r

Post by z1r »

Kinda like Mushroom, any one and none could be the one. Since the Seconds Sale, this $35 PM2 has resided in my pocket. My Endela has been displaced, temporarily?

In truth, any of my Spydercos could be the one if it came down to it. If I were retired, and less conspicuous, lighter carry wasn't a concern, I could see my Sub Hilt being "the one!" But working in an Office sees me favoring Primarily light weights and not much bigger then a PM2. Got a Stretch 2 XL inbound today. Despite not being "compact" it may be my carry next week due to being ridiculously LW!
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Not really, but in the meantime there’s the native 5 in m4, rex45 and maxamet , sage 1 in maxamet, and delica in hap40. Also an incoming delica in m4.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I voted "Other", because I've found The One, but I haven't found The One Spyderco yet.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

For what I do in my life, the dragonfly k390 wharncliffe is basically it. I have other knives that suit specific tasks a bit better, but I never run into situations where the dragonfly wouldn't work. If they made a LC200N or Magnacut version, that'd be more ideal, but I can always coat it in oil.

but why just have one when I can have 5?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

No, I haven’t found the one Spydie to rule them all.

But I’ve found many models that make the case, such as the Military Model exclusive, Lil’Temp3 LW, and JD Smith sprint I am presently fondling:

I rather like the state of mind they and other Spydies put me in.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

I have favorites I use at different times for different things. Some of those carry decisions are based more on a sentimental background story or experience with a particular knife. I am fortunate and therefore happy with all the options available to me. I am not really looking for ‘the one’.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Nope, I have a few that I carry more than others, but no "the one" right now. Once we start seeing more Cruwear and Cru-carta in Seki models, we might get that perfect goldilocks grail knife. I think "the one" for me would have to be a love child of the Delica and Endela wharnie splitting the size difference (a Deldela if you will) in Cruwear and some interesting color of FRN (color is the least important factor though). A Cru-carta Deldela would make a nice side piece...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I love my blacked out Millie, my blurple millie but I want a SALT version in either LC200N or Magnacut.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The KW exclusive Millie in S90V.
Last edited by elena86 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I had to vote "other," even though the Pacific Salt is the most useful for my needs, and the one I carry the most. It answers the question,"What if I could only have one"...

But there are several models I like more: Military, PM2, Manix 2, Stretch 2 XL, Chaparral, Schempp Bowie, Waterway, Autonomy 1, Caribbean... So the Pac Salt is not my favorite in that way, it's just more practical.

Furthermore, it's easy to envision a knife that would unseat it from its "only one" spot: A Military Salt, for example, or a Stretch 2 XL Salt, or a backlock FRN Caribbean.
Last edited by Coastal on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:10 pm
I love my blacked out Millie, my blurple millie but I want a SALT version in either LC200N or Magnacut.
I'd be all about one of those. Especially if it's the 2!
:unicorn
cjk

Post by cjk »

I've had no problem finding the "right now" one.