Help with PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stid229

Help with PM2

Post by Stid229 »

Hey this is my first time posting on the forum, and if this is the wrong place to post I do apologize. Well I finally got one of my grail knives a spyderco Paramilitary 2. The other day while working outside my oldest son(age 11) decided to pick up my knife that had laid down beside my tools and drive it into a tree ice pick style. Now I have a PM2 that has a bent tip. I’m still upset about it. My question is is there anyway I can fix it or do I just need to chop it up as a loss? I don’t mind paying for quality tools and love the few spydercos I do have. So please any help someone could give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
spydergoat

Re: Help with PM2

Post by spydergoat »

Sorry I'm not sure on that, you could try bending it back while sticking it in some wood, or you could always ask Spyderco repair department if they can do it for a cost. https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

Also it could be a good teaching moment about knife safety. Kid could've had a bad cut if his hand slipped while doing that.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Post a pic. You could be able to bend it out like already noted. It can also be ground/sharpened out if needed. Hard to guess what the best fix is without seeing it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Danke wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:10 pm
Post a pic. You could be able to bend it out like already noted. It can also be ground/sharpened out if needed. Hard to guess what the best fix is without seeing it.

@Stid229 here viewtopic.php?p=1332284#p1332284 is a good way how to post pics.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Don’t worry, it’s a knife, a tool, that should be used and show wear. Sucks when they get beat up but I remind myself they should show use.

1. Should be totally fixable, just post a picture so we have a better idea of the damage. I am guessing it’s just the very tip.

To Fix: Gently bend the tip back straight. If the tip breaks you can grind the spine down to meet the new tip, pictured below. You probably could not tell it’s fixed once done.

2. If your son is starting to show interest in knives this could be a perfect chance to buy him a small 2” Spyderco Byrd knife. You can bond with your son and show him how to safely and properly use a knife.
IMG_5802.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Worst case scenario is you have to grind down the tip as WilliamMunny has demonstrated with a nifty graphic. For the sake of my own knowledge and the OP's though, what would everyone think is the least expensive tool you could use to regrind a tip? Would a Dremel do the trick with enough patience and being careful not to overheat the steel? Or do you have to have something more substantial for this?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:52 pm
Worst case scenario is you have to grind down the tip as WilliamMunny has demonstrated with a nifty graphic. For the sake of my own knowledge and the OP's though, what would everyone think is the least expensive tool you could use to regrind a tip? Would a Dremel do the trick with enough patience and being careful not to overheat the steel? Or do you have to have something more substantial for this?
I would go slowly with a belt sander, taking breaks to avoid heat buildup.

Otherwise real basic just use some 100 grit sand paper on a flat surface like plywood or your granite countertop. Depends on how much you need to take off I guess and what steel but it will work. It’s how I flatten my 100+ year old hand planes.
IMG_5802.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Stid229

Post by Stid229 »

https://i.postimg.cc/NfKtW7Zz/IMG-1755.jpg Here’s the picture. And thanks a lot for y’alls responses. I really appreciate it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stid229 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 pm
https://i.postimg.cc/NfKtW7Zz/IMG-1755.jpg Here’s the picture. And thanks a lot for y’alls responses. I really appreciate it.

Made it so that everyone can see your pic right away.
Hope that's ok with you and helps.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RAU

Post by RAU »

If your going to use power tools to blend the edge and/or spine back into the point I would dunk blade in water often to make certain it doesn’t get hot. Go slow you’ll be fine
Stid229

Post by Stid229 »

Thanks for the recommendations, and yes I will be sure to take it slow and keep it cool if I do go that route.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:52 pm
The least expensive tool I have ever used to regrind a tip was a concrete curb. I don't recommend it, but it can be done.