Para 3 Maxamet strange patina

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
makawakaroni

Para 3 Maxamet strange patina

Post by makawakaroni »

Hello guys!

I have a Para 3 in Maxamet that is developing patina in a strange way. The surface of the blade on the show side (where the spyderco logo is) is a uniform greyish color, but the other side has an area around the spydie hole that does not develop patina. Do you have any idea why this could be? Should I be worried that there is an issue with the blade's structure or composition? How can one part be more corrosion resistant that the rest? Any advice greatly appreciated!
Here is a picture to better illustrate:
VooDooChild

Re: Para 3 Maxamet strange patina

Post by VooDooChild »

I remember seeing this same thing before with maxamet but I cant remember why.
Somewhere is a thread online, either here or bladeforums, that talked about this.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

I found a bladeforums post about a Maxamet Native having the same issue after a forced patina, but found no useful info there. Most people accused the poster of taping the blade before applying the patina..
I will take another lap with google anyways. Thanks!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Are you left-handed? The oils from your thumb left around the Spyderhole will be enough to cause that pattern by effectively shielding that area from developing as much of a patina as the rest of the blade. If not, there may be some oil or whatnot left on the blade from the factory that would likewise slow the patina oxidation process down.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 am
Are you left-handed? The oils from your thumb left around the Spyderhole will be enough to cause that pattern by effectively shielding that area from developing as much of a patina as the rest of the blade. If not, there may be some oil or whatnot left on the blade from the factory that would likewise slow the patina oxidation process down.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am right handed, but it might be that some kind of residue is causing this issue. As long as it is just cosmetic I am fine with it.
kobold

Post by kobold »

The oils from my thumb have the opposite effect. Also, that is too much of a perfect circle, to be caused by random touching, I think something happened during production there.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:47 am
The oils from my thumb have the opposite effect. Also, that is too much of a perfect circle, to be caused by random touching, I think something happened during production there.
Yep, absolutely perfect circle around the hole.
Hope that someone from Spydeco will chime in, saying it is a side effect of some stage in production and is purely cosmetic. :D
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I can't explain your particular problem, but I will say that my Maxamet Manix 2 has a patina and it's fine. I got it second-hand from a guy in the south, where it's a lot more humid.

Relax, and use the knife - it's a good one.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I just took a look at my three Maxamet blades. I do have smudge marks on the blades and some are around the thumb hole. Have you tried to wipe the blade with Isopropyl alcohol, or acetone (nail polish remover) on a cotton swap?

I’ve found stone washed, or tumbled blades have a micro surface roughness that will hold oils and anything else that gets on the blade.

That is interesting, though.
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

I gave the blade a good wipe with some isopropyl alcohol, maybe it helps. Thanks!
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Be had the exact same experience with a Native 5 and Para 3 in Maxamet. I have a wild guess: drilling the Spydie hole increases the temperature of the metal enough that the chromium carbides in the metal around the hole deteriorate slightly, releasing chromium into the metal around the hole. As a result, the metal around the hole is slightly more resistant to oxidation. Crazy or crazy like a fox?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 pm
Be had the exact same experience with a Native 5 and Para 3 in Maxamet. I have a wild guess: drilling the Spydie hole increases the temperature of the metal enough that the chromium carbides in the metal around the hole deteriorate slightly, releasing chromium into the metal around the hole. As a result, the metal around the hole is slightly more resistant to oxidation. Crazy or crazy like a fox?
The holes are laser cut, not drilled.

I had the exact same thing on my Maxamet Native 5. I have no idea what caused it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:26 pm
FRNFanboy wrote:

I had the exact same thing on my Maxamet Native 5. I have no idea what caused it.
Hmmm same basic idea could still be valid, depending on the order of operations. Laser cutting the hole might be affecting the chemistry of the metal by raising the temperature slightly. I know this is something knife makers have to watch out for. Even grinding or sharpening on a belt can raise the temperature enough to affect the metal or the heat treat.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
FRNFanboy wrote:

Hmmm same basic idea could still be valid, depending on the order of operations. Laser cutting the hole might be affecting the chemistry of the metal by raising the temperature slightly. I know this is something knife makers have to watch out for. Even grinding or sharpening on a belt can raise the temperature enough to affect the metal or the heat treat.
Well, first of all, the laser probably wouldn't heat the metal up beyond being warm to the touch, maybe 150° F or so max.
In addition, Maxamet is designed to maintain its in integrity and stability up to extremely high temperatures. Way, way hotter than the laser would ever make it.
Lastly, this all happens before the heat treatment process. Wouldn't that cancel out and negate any possible previous anomalies?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
makawakaroni

Post by makawakaroni »

FRNFanboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
FRNFanboy wrote:

Interesting theory. Did anyone see other, non stainless steels (M4, K390) having the same issue, or is it only with Maxamet?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Did spyderco do the opposite and clamp something on the knife to keep that area cold in the heat treating process so they could get a differential hardness?

Several early maxamet blades snapped at the spydiehole.

Probably not though because then there is the mystery of why it only seems to be some knives.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This is the third one I've heard of doing it. It only shows up on one side.

viewtopic.php?t=78322

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cur ... a.1676990/
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I wonder if it could be some sort of vapor deposition from gases while the laser is cutting? Probably not, unless the hole is made after the primary bevel is cut.
Maybe it is a mark left by some jig or clamp used at some point in the manufacturing?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 pm
I wonder if it could be some sort of vapor deposition from gases while the laser is cutting? Probably not, unless the hole is made after the primary bevel is cut.
Maybe it is a mark left by some jig or clamp used at some point in the manufacturing?
That clamp hypothesis is spot on I think (pun intended!). In all 3 of those pics, and all 3 are different Golden Maxamet models, that patina mark is nearly perfectly circular and is also centered exactly on the Spyderhole. :) Maybe the sharpening jig they have set up for that new crazy robotic sharpener they have.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maybe the clamps, robots, machinery are being oiled (for maintenance) and the first few work pieces are getting some of that oil.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10