PM2 Maxamet & forced patina

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kwakster

PM2 Maxamet & forced patina

Post by kwakster »

The owner of this Maxamet PM2 had given his knife a forced patina treatment, and besides coming out a bit uneven the acid had also completely eaten away the factory apex as well as the very tip of the blade.
To say that the knife was completely blunt would have been an understatement.
The request was to give the knife a new toothy edge with a lot of bite while making it as sharp as possible.
(You can click each pic 2 X for a bit more detail)

Before sharpening:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

After sharpening
Flattened the acid damaged "apex" some more on a 3000 grit diamond plate so i could start with fresh steel, then made a new edge on a Rubber Wheel coated with +/- 230 grit diamond powder & wax, then deburred on a Paper Wheel with 1.0 micron diamond paste & oil.
The new edge is ever so slightly convex, the new apex fits almost exactly in the 30 degree inclusive slot of my Tormek WM200 Angle Master, plus it can whittle one of my chest hairs at about 5.5 centimeters from the point of holding. (i don't own a BESS tester)
The somewhat "fuzzy" shoulders of the new edge show how deep the acid has eaten away into the sides of the blade in some area's.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Last edited by kwakster on Thu May 10, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie1801

Re: PM2 Maxamet & forced patina

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice sharpening job! Just don't understand why someone would acid wash a knife that comes stonewashed when new....
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Loudenboomer

Post by Loudenboomer »

I suppose patina is OK. What ever floats your boat. PM2 Maxamet production and delivery is much higher on the list for me! :)
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Wow, acid!?!?!? :eek: Warm vinegar would have been more than sufficient...
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!