Wire clip for Techno & Slysz Bowie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
V8RWD

Wire clip for Techno & Slysz Bowie

Post by V8RWD »

Hello All!

It seems like most wire clips by Spyderco are bare metal ("silver") in color. Some are black, like Sage 1 & Chaparral.

But I noticed the clips for Techno & Slysz Bowie appear to be matte grey in color? Does anyone know if it is painted, or made out of titanium?

Either way, I would love to get one for my Mantra. Does anyone know how I could go on about ordering one?
Sharp Guy

Re: Wire clip for Techno & Slysz Bowie

Post by Sharp Guy »

V8RWD wrote:Either way, I would love to get one for my Mantra. Does anyone know how I could go on about ordering one?
You can order one through the Spyderco Factory Outlet.

http://www.spyderco.com

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
freebird610

Post by freebird610 »

Or you can call them up and order by phone. Great people to deal with. Knew clip should be around 6 bucks.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

You can also acid etch a shiny clip like the one on your Mantra with ferric chloride and virtually achieve the same finish. //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 8#p1025358

I've now done this to numerous types of clips, but it works best with the wire clips so far. I did this to my Mantra as well as the Sage2 and they look great IMO.
V8RWD

Post by V8RWD »

Thank you for your helpful responses everyone. What a fantastic forum! Yet another reason to love Spyderco.
V8RWD

Post by V8RWD »

Hi All,

I thought I would follow up on this thread of the aftermath.

- Ordered the clip via Factory Outlet
- Cost was $6.00 + $5.00 for shipping. Specified the matte grey clip.
- Month pasted but I never received it.
- Called back, and they shipped out another. Arrived in about 10 days this time.
- They included 3 clips! Polished, painted black, and the matte grey. Also included a vile of medium Locktite, but was broken and leaked during transit. Not really a Spyderco fault--they used padded envelope, but was probably folder or something by the mail service. Also included was an extra screw.

End result with the matte grey clip:

So far very happy with it. No difference in pocket retention. But the benefits have been that it looks more subtle while wearing dark denims (the polished would get eyes all the time). And surprisingly--improved grip! I didn't think such a small difference would make a difference, but it provides more traction to the hands.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:34 pm
V8RWD wrote:Either way, I would love to get one for my Mantra. Does anyone know how I could go on about ordering one?

How do I do it? Email them? The clip is not listed as orderable item, or is it and I missed it?

The Bowie clip also fits the Battlestation, and it's bent the right way.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

archangel wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:28 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:34 pm

How do I do it? Email them? The clip is not listed as orderable item, or is it and I missed it?

The Bowie clip also fits the Battlestation, and it's bent the right way.
I would call them but that might be challenging for you since you're in Germany. Other option would be to send them an email

https://www.spyderco.com/contact/
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thanks SG. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it on the website. I sent them an email.

I'm happy I found out that the Slysz clip is exactly what the Battlestation is missing. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...