A new fix for the Slysz Bowie pocket clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

A new fix for the Slysz Bowie pocket clip

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi all, I’d like to start this off by profusely thanking Kristi at Spyderco for her awesome customer service last week! She very patiently helped me with an order of 4 replacement pocket clips, getting me exactly the right screws and clips I needed for various knives I had that needed some TLC in that area. And patient is a true understatement in this case, because I annoyingly called her three times in a row in about twenty minutes, and she was very gracious responding to my questions every time!

I did want to share with you guys a new fix to remedy the notorious pocket-snagging issue associated with the stock wire clip on the Slysz Bowie. Many reviews on the interweb do a fantastic job of describing how spectacular this knife is (and it really is!), but universally comment on how with the wire clip’s contact point on the scales (being nearly on top of the RIL lockbar cutout/depression) prevents drawing the knife smoothly and quickly out of the pocket.

One solution to this problem that gull wing, gbelleh and others figured out months ago was to swap the clip found on the lightweight S110V Manix 2 onto the Bowie. This dropped the contact points of the clip on the Bowie scales further down, making it much easier to draw the knife from the pocket. They also posted how to quickly and easily match the matte stonewashed finish of the stock Bowie clip using a 2 minute ferric chloride bath. Here are the threads:

viewtopic.php?t=66754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?t=66793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While a great fix, I didn’t like the fact that this meant that the knife was no longer deep pocket carry, a feature I basically insist upon in my EDC knives. In thinking about this issue a bit more, I remembered the pass around we had back with GoldenSpydie’s Foundry. One of the things that I noticed immediately about the Foundry was the very stout and long wire clip it had. Here’s a pic of the Foundry clip against a Caly 3.5 clip (and the thread it’s in), you can see the length difference:

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=64674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, you can see where this is going... ;) I called Spyderco for a replacement Foundry clip and received it last week, and the bottle of ferric chloride I bought from Amazon arrived today! After a 2 minute bath in the drink, the shiny Foundry clip now looks pretty much exactly like the color of the stock Slysz Bowie’s (and Techno’s) clip. The clip’s contact points are further down, so drawing the knife is smooth as butter now, and it retains its (very important to me) deep carry feature. This longer clip does have a slight bit more flex than the stock clip, given that it’s longer, but it’s in no way flimsy or weak. It’s solid and has a strong spring to it, holding the knife tightly and securely in your pocket. And the best thing is it’s a stock Spyderco clip, so I have faith that it will work and fit perfectly.

Again, my many thanks to Kristi for all her help with this fix, and also gull wing and gbelleh for the inspirational/motivational threads on their clip fix for the Slysz Bowie. If you do decide to call Spyderco for one of these, make sure to get the longer clip especially for the C160 Foundry (Kristi mentioned they didn’t have them on hand at the SFO and had to call the factory for one). For me, the Slysz Bowie is now one step closer to being nearly perfect! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
farnorthdan

Re: A new fix for the Slysz Bowie pocket clip

Post by farnorthdan »

Great write up sir, great info and solution. I too love the slysz bowie (actually been carrying mine for a few days) I do wish they would have gone with something other than a wire clip on this one, they just seem so flimsy. I'm thinking about removing mine all together.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Very nice!
:bug-red-white
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great post Radioactive! I have noticed the snag on my new Bowie, but it doesn't bother me enough (yet) to take the steps you suggest. Should it become an issue I will certainly give it a try!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Awesome post, I'll be enacting this solution.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice work! I like the matte finish over shiny SS too. ;)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Nice Spydie-hack R/S :)

Hopefully CQI will come into force on this and the next batch of Bowie's will have longer clips.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks for the nice comments guys! No issues to report so far with the clip, it's not going anywhere! :) Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Well done!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Thanks for the nice comments guys! No issues to report so far with the clip, it's not going anywhere! :) Radioactive
Just enacted this fix...and Marcin Slysz absolutely owes you royalties on every knife sold from here on out. The pocket snag issue bumped my enjoyment of this knife down to 80% at the highest. I mean I was reminded of this flaw quirk every single time I pulled it out of my pocket, so it was really hard to get over. Thanks to RS, my enjoyment is back up to 95% (I'm missing the crisp spydie hole, sorry)! Seriously, this fix saves this knife for me, and makes it (ever so close to) perfect. I'm not sure I'll ever fully repay you, RS, so please allow me to give you an intensely emotional Rudy slow-clap.

hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I know this is an older post but wanted to see if anyone else has tried this fix. After seeing this post last week, I ordered the Foundry clip and got it in the mail today. Well...the length on the one they sent me from SFO is the same as the stock Slysz clip. No change/improvement at all with the positioning of the contact point. Would you guys know if they've recently changed and shortened the clip on the Foundry? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! I absolutely love the Slysz Bowie but I unfortunately do not enjoy carrying it in its current configuration.

Also...I found someone today who makes custom titanium 3D machined clips as replacements for the wire clips. I've since sent them an email to see if the clip that they make, which fits many Spydies, would solve the issue I'm having with this clip. Once they get back to me I will post an update...

https://rippsgaragetech.com/collections ... -pre-order
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

The only thing I don't like about ripps is how close to the scale they are at the opening, hard to get over the edge of pocket, I wear carhartts though so might work better on dress pants.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The Foundry was discontinued so maybe they ran out of clips? I have done the above, but I use the etched Foundry clips on my Manix2 LWs because they hit the flat spot of the scale. Never had an issue with the Bowie clip like other people for some reason and I carry it a ton.
hovan2yourknives

farnorthdan wrote:The only thing I don't like about ripps is how close to the scale they are at the opening, hard to get over the edge of pocket, I wear carhartts though so might work better on dress pants.
Yeah...no dress pants for me with the Slysz. Carhartts, cargos and jeans. Curious if ripp's clip also rests on the edge of the cut out...might be a moot point if they're as tight as you say though. Thanks!
hovan2yourknives

abbazaba wrote:The Foundry was discontinued so maybe they ran out of clips? I have done the above, but I use the etched Foundry clips on my Manix2 LWs because they hit the flat spot of the scale. Never had an issue with the Bowie clip like other people for some reason and I carry it a ton.
Good point! I'll call Monday and see if that's the case. Maybe some have issues and some don't because of slight variations in the bends on the clips..??
Attachments
IMG_4640.JPG
RadioactiveSpyder

HI guys, I would call the SFO back and ask that they send you the proper length Foundry clip, reminding them it's the longer version than the stock clip they sent. I've run into this situation more than once calling them for this clip in the last year or so. They need to fix that glitch in their order system. Good luck, Radioactive :)
hovan2yourknives

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:HI guys, I would call the SFO back and ask that they send you the proper length Foundry clip, reminding them it's the longer version than the stock clip they sent. I've run into this situation more than once calling them for this clip in the last year or so. They need to fix that glitch in their order system. Good luck, Radioactive :)
Will do first this Monday morning. That's great news radioactive! I appreciate the help. Thanks!
hovan2yourknives

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:HI guys, I would call the SFO back and ask that they send you the proper length Foundry clip, reminding them it's the longer version than the stock clip they sent. I've run into this situation more than once calling them for this clip in the last year or so. They need to fix that glitch in their order system. Good luck, Radioactive :)
You were right...they had to do some digging but they found one and it's being sent out to me now. Thanks for your help buddy!

-Hovan
jafnvaegi

Post by jafnvaegi »

That's great news, I'll have to try the same. I recently attempted the same thing and got the same results as Hovan-A-Sac, the clip appears to be for the Foundry with the rounded curve but it's the same length and contact point as the standard wire clip you find on the Bowie, Techno, Sage, Mantra etc. I'm going to send them an email about it in the morning as well :) On a side note, I also had pre-ordered the RGT clip and received it a few days ago. It fits but it's not entirely flush (as the Bowie scales are curved) but it's likely not enough of an issue in practice and hardly noticeable. The contact point is further down past the cutout and should solve the problem as well, but the screw head is a tad too large and would need some modification to fit in the hole of the clip. The longer screw from the Techno however does fit, but I think with some light sanding around the edges you could get the Bowie's screw to fit. I believe RGT is looking to source screws to include with the clip that resolve the problem and make it more compatible with other models out the box.
Chaparral LW ▴ Air ▴ Slysz Bowie
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Just saw this. Well done young Jedi. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white