Compression lock Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Compression lock Manix

Post by Netherend »

I was holding my manix 2 LW and my pm 2 and I found myself stumped as to which knife I wanted to carry today. Should I take the manix; with its very useful leaf shaped blade, amazing ergonomics and perfect size or the slim and sexy Pm2 with its fidget friendly compression lock, easy to carry profile and longer blade, then it hit me. I would love to see a manix 2 with a compression lock. Don’t get me wrong; the cbbl is a very impressive, strong and enjoyable locking mechanism, but I would love to combine the drop shut fun of the compression lock with the blade shape and size of the manix 2. Yes, I know that the sage exists but it falls closer to the para 3 than it does the manix 2. With all of the comparison over the last decade between the manix 2 and the pm2 this has probably been discussed but I’d still love to see it happen. The closest thing that I am aware of is the shaman which is on my holiday wishlist. Does anyone here have any thoughts on it?
Just one more knife...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Compression lock Manix

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Manix 2 LW and I do not care for the PM2. I like the CBBL and the Back Lock, but I do not care for the compression lock. A lot of folks feel that way, so I'd have to pass on the idea of a Compression Lock Manix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

What’s wrong with the PM2 blade ?! Why would you say that the Manix blade shape is more useful ? Manix has great ergos but it forces your hand into just a few grips. Gorilla grip is more natural and confy, at least for me, when I handle the PM2.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

? My Manixes ARE actually as "drop shutty" as my PM2...?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i went went through a similar conundrum... the answer? caribbean.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I own a lot of manii--almost every available variant. I think I'd pass on a comp lock version. I'm just not a comp lock fan, and when I carry a comp lock knife I do so in spite of the comp lock, not because of it.
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

CBBL is perfection, drop shut and zero vertical blade play all the time. Non caged ball lock is also good.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm the opposite. The CBBL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think Spyderco should modify all its Compression Lock knives to accommodate the CBBL. PM2 with a CBBL? Now THAT would get my attention!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Netherend wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 3:34 pm
I was holding my manix 2 LW and my pm 2 and I found myself stumped as to which knife I wanted to carry today. Should I take the manix; with its very useful leaf shaped blade, amazing ergonomics and perfect size or the slim and sexy Pm2 with its fidget friendly compression lock, easy to carry profile and longer blade, then it hit me. I would love to see a manix 2 with a compression lock. Don’t get me wrong; the cbbl is a very impressive, strong and enjoyable locking mechanism, but I would love to combine the drop shut fun of the compression lock with the blade shape and size of the manix 2. Yes, I know that the sage exists but it falls closer to the para 3 than it does the manix 2. With all of the comparison over the last decade between the manix 2 and the pm2 this has probably been discussed but I’d still love to see it happen. The closest thing that I am aware of is the shaman which is on my holiday wishlist. Does anyone here have any thoughts on it?
Once the knife breaks in and you get used to the action the CBBL will drop shut just like the compression locks. If after some time you still can't get it to drop shut maybe a lighter spring is in order.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The cbbl is one of the reasons I prefer a Manix to the PM2. All of my 4 Manix's have great action as well. I'd be pretty bummed to see it changed to yet another model with a compression lock. Count me in as another person that would love to see more knives introduced with the cbbl instead of the compression lock!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would not vote against it, but I certainly would not vote for it. I'd rather see a thinner and lighter back lock Manix.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

it's amazing how little love there is for the compression lock on this forum. i imagine if there had been a forum around back in the day when spyderco put pocket clips on knives and people would be complaining about how it was a bad idea and that it would make the knife jump out of your pocket from getting snagged on stuff or how it would tear up their clothes or intimidate people that would now be able to see they have a knife or etc... ad nauseam. the same people might call it dangerous to open a knife one handed... why would you ever want to do that?! don't you know a hole in the blade is a weak point?! it's dangerous! that knife is going to slip and slam shut on your fingers because the lock we love has a bias to close to keep you safe!!!

sorry... now that that's out of my system. i really don't get why people hate on the compression lock. it's super strong. it keeps your fingers out of the blade path (however necessary that is... i've never had a knife close on my hand regardless of type or even lack of a lock). i see it as another spyderco innovation. it's really great. i don't need it on every knife i own, but there's no reason for people (especially around here) to be so against it.

to the op, one of the big draws to the manix is that it's ambidextrous, which it loses with a compression lock. seriously, give the leaf caribbean a shot. it's got the leaf shaped blade with the bonus of extra blade length, even though it's basically exactly the same size as a manix in pocket. personally, i don't find the ergonomics to be quite as glove-like as the manix, but it's got a very neutral grip that is comfortable for a wider range of users and that's a great thing. it's got that super smooth taichung compression lock. and it's a salt!
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:50 pm
it's amazing how little love there is for the compression lock on this forum. ...
Ah, did you miss it when almost every sold out exclusive was a comp lock Para 3 or PM2? I'd say there is a LOT of love for the comp lock on this forum. For some of us it is not our favorite lock for valid reasons and we are willing to express our preference for other locks.

That said, while it is not my favorite lock, I don't hate it and will buy a knife I like that has a comp lock. I certainly have no doubts about its inherent strengths.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
it's amazing how little love there is for the compression lock on this forum. ...
Ah, did you miss it when almost every sold out exclusive was a comp lock Para 3 or PM2? I'd say there is a LOT of love for the comp lock on this forum. For some of us it is not our favorite lock for valid reasons and we are willing to express our preference for other locks.

That said, while it is not my favorite lock, I don't hate it and will buy a knife I like that has a comp lock. I certainly have no doubts about its inherent strengths.
yeah... i know my comment comes right after yours, but it's not directed at you. it's just something i see here consistently when the compression lock comes up, and from a lot of people. not trying to single anyone out.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:09 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:05 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

yeah... i know my comment comes right after yours, but it's not directed at you. it's just something i see here consistently when the compression lock comes up, and from a lot of people. not trying to single anyone out.
No worries, I didn't take it personally.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Those of us who are not fans of the compression lock, for whatever reasons we may have, are tired of its fans calling for comp locks on everything. I see a lot of comments on the "fidget factor" which is a personal peeve of mine. If you want a fidget toy, buy a spinner. Yes, if you want to use your knife for a playtoy, that's your perogative. I just find it a poor reason to buy a knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:08 am
? My Manixes ARE actually as "drop shutty" as my PM2...?
Same.

This wouldn't be an improvement for me.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the manix doesn't need a compression lock to have fidget factor. i find it just as satisfying to play with as my comp lock models. it also keeps your fingers out of the blade path, so it's just as safe. sometimes, when i'm feeling really crazy, i'll even fidget with a small backlock like the dragonfly or ladybug. i actually purchased the squarehead to be kind of an frn worry stone to play with. i like the texture. it's wonderful. and, in a pinch, it can cut stuff.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:

sorry... now that that's out of my system. i really don't get why people hate on the compression lock. it's super strong. it keeps your fingers out of the blade path (however necessary that is... i've never had a knife close on my hand regardless of type or even lack of a lock). i see it as another spyderco innovation. it's really great. i don't need it on every knife i own, but there's no reason for people (especially around here) to be so against it.

No offense meant, but I can´t recall ever reading about actual "hate" on the comp. lock ?! Just - like in my case -. that other locks get preferred over it - and what people prefer (steel, handle materials, blade shapes... ) is a main part of the discussions on this forum.
I personally even think the comp. lock is a cool and ingenious design, I was even totally prepared to find it the best lock on earth when I got my first comp.lock knife, but in my actual use it turned out differently, and so I just state my honest and I think well founded experience and opinion (which is of course only true for me and can´t be generalized)

"No reason to be "so" against it" - ?! I don´t fully understand. I can only recall people actually listing REASONS why they might prefer other lock types. If there is any locktype people are "against" at all, this would be the linerlock, which in my personal use and extensive experience beats the comp. lock in pretty much every aspect.

- "Super strong": I think CBBL and backlock are at least as strong, and the linerlock still way strong enough.
- "Fingers out of the blade path": Also true for backlock and CBBL, and for me not an issue at all anyway.
- Just in my use the comp. lock turned out to be the least natural to use and least safe lock, if I look at all aspects of "safe" (for the fingers, safety of knife in hand while operating the lock, safety in pocket....) - on "safety" see for example also why Lance Clinton choose a back-, and not comp. lock for the Siren (starting at about 8 minutes into the vid https://youtu.be/10rr0qsXoiQ&t=620s)

So: I do like the comp.lock, but more in smaller "urban" knives. And I´d really like to see more CBBL and mid-/high end linerlock knives instead of more comp. lock knives. (The choices of knives with my absolute favorite locktype - the backlock - are quite many anyway)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

I have tested cbbl on Manix only briefly. Did not like the stiff spring too much and the blade action was a bit stiff too, but my understanding is that the knife would eventually break in and so I would not put too much weight into that first impression. One thing that I realized though was, that this kind of lock is most likely going to limit the type of handles it will work well with. Too short handle would feel awkward and too long handles might not work at all. Also - notice how the back of the Manix falls down rather excessively - it is to allow the butt of the handle to sit in the palm of your hand while closing the knife. That to me is a pretty strong limitation.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...