Tenacious and G-10 Flight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
raven

Tenacious and G-10 Flight

Post by raven »

Hey All, Just curious to what the "Family" thinks here. Which do you feel is the better knife ...The Tenacious or the Byrd G-10 Flight??? Both about the same size, same blade steel, same scales.

Both of these knives have been discussed quite a bit lately. I have the Flight and should have the Tenacious hopefully tomorrow. Again, just like to know what the overall opinion is. I know the opinions will vary, but I like to see what folks think, that have way more knife knowledge than myself.

Thanks for listening, Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me, this is how they stack up.

Tenacious:

+spine jimping
+round hole
+full flat grind
+more comfortable clip
+longer cutting edge

Flight:

+lockback
+thinner tip
+curved body is more ergonomic overall than the straighter Tenacious
+more comfortable in pocket or clipped IWB
+less expensive

It's a close call. Both excellent knives for the money that place the cutting edge close to your hand for optimal leverage. I like the Flight for its thin tip, the ergos and how thin the handles are, while the Tenacious has a flat grind, round hole and longer cutting edge. I give a slight nod to the Tenacious mainly for the flat grind.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanx for the comparisons Vivi, I only have the G-10 Flight, no Tenacious yet.....can you discern better F&F with one vs. the other? :confused:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
vivi

Post by vivi »

As far as F&F goes I'd rank the knives like this:

3. Older G10 Cara Cara
2. G10 Flight
1. Tenacious

The Flight is very good here but the Tenacious shows slightly more polish and refinement.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the reply Vivi :)
brian
dialex

Post by dialex »

Although I like the Tenacious, I'd rather go for the Flight, because it's a lockback.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
raven

Some Pix

Post by raven »

Hey All, I just got the Tenacious in from the UPS guy. Have to say, I'm Very Pleased :cool: :p !!! This is an impressive knife folks. Built Rock Solid as always by Spyderco, Smooth Opening, SOLID LOCK-UP, Crazy Sharp, Grippy/Comfortable in hand, Not to light and Not to Heavy. It's made in "China" :confused: ??? You'd never know it, unless you read it on the blade.

It's a TOSS UP for me between the Tenacious and the Flight. Both are well Very Well Built and Durable. Both comfortable in hand. IMO ...These two knives have quality written allover them. You can't go wrong with either one. If I could change anything on them, it would be on the Flight. That would be to add jimping, if I knew how :rolleyes: . I definately like what I got in both knives .......EDC Rotation ;) .

Here are some pix, hope you like em :o . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
Attachments
Tenacious 011.jpg
Tenacious 011.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Tenacious 004.jpg
Tenacious 004.jpg (28.19 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
Tenacious 003.jpg
Tenacious 003.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Tenacious 002.jpg
Tenacious 002.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
Tenacious.jpg
Tenacious.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
LeeCQC

Post by LeeCQC »

Too bad it doesnt have a choil... :spyder:
Lee

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19

*Avatar thanks to Dialex :spyder:
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Thanks for the great pix of the Tenacious Raven :) I especially like the ones w/the :spyder: sticker on the monitor screen :cool:
brian
kodeslinger

Post by kodeslinger »

Hi y'all

I just bought both the G10 Flight today, as well as the Tenacious, and also the new Byrd Wings (those serrations are crazy sharp!!!!), and also one of the few remaining Manixes :D :D :D

Anyway, sorry to gloat, but the Tenacious REALLY impressed me, and I'm chinese, so I know how tough it can be to get good quality control from China, but this knife is SMOOTH.

Seriously, it is one of the smoothest Spydies I've seen, right up there with my black millie and waved endura. I know in general liner locks tend to be smoother than backs, but this knife really impressed me.

The Flight was really good, but what's with the packaging??? and the starling was even worse in the store, it's like a huge clamshell+ box for a puny little knife :P.

Anyway, my 3 tiny gripes:

1) Tip of Tenacious could be sharper
2) Tenacious could use choil/jimping at the bottom (but then I guess it'd just be a cheaper version of the mini manix with walker lock :P)
3) New Spydie catalog says that the Flights have Choil and Jimping?????? no such thing on actual knife

Cheers! (loving my manix)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Another positive thing that the Tenacious has going for it is the option of mounting the clip 4 ways.

-Jay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>