What knife is best for…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wallach

Re: What knife is best for…

Post by Wallach »

The Manix 2 I still have on me is in Rex 45, and that thing devours cardboard. Probably the best folder I have for big push cut work like that.

My only other Spyderco currently is the Para 3, which seems more like a light work EDC kind of knife. Not that it isn't sturdy, but the blade shape and size isn't totally ideal for some tasks. It can probably get the job done for most things you'd need your EDC to do though.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Knives for specific uses:

Cardboard: Resilience S35VN low grit. Works well on multiple layers. Saves time.

EDC: Mantra 2. Nothing is more unobtrusive and carries better in pocket.

Big Game skinner: SpydieChef. Just the right amount of sweep for bidirectional skinning, no blood & guts corrosion and not too large to work blindly in the abdominal cavity without worrying about cutting yourself. All this in a pocket friendly folder.

Gill slittin' bleeding knife/s: Any of the following will do and actually mostly depends upon the size of the species I'm after. UKPK serrated LC200N salt, LC200n serrated Pac Salt 2, Byrd serrated Wharnie Harrier 2, LC200N serrated Swick Wharnie. The UKPK serrated salt is surprisingly fast and handy.

Byrd serrated Hawkbill: Purposely blunted tip so as to make for ideal outlining of fish prior to actual filleting the fish.

Z-cuts: Both pointed and blunt tips for filleting small to medium fish. Pretty good around the rib cages.

Still waiting on that Phil Wilson/Spyderco collaboration larger fillet knife. :winking-tongue
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:25 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:12 pm
i actually found my pacific salt to be a better knife for breaking down cardboard than my manix. i think the thinner chisel grind plus the hollow grind are both big factors in that.

to be honest, if i'm going to be breaking down more than a box or two, i'm reaching for a utility knife. they are king for cardboard and it's not even close.

the reason i like the manix so much though is that it's good for edc tasks and can be pushed into harder use without being too much. plus, it fits my hand perfectly.

serrated salts are my go to for a backup knife/emergency blade to ride iwb. i will always have one there, even if it's all i'm carrying.

i have a lot of others that i carry for various reasons, but whatever i'm carrying has to be able to cover all the things i've stated above.

i don't really think of a specific knife for a specific purpose. i think of all knives in my collection in the terms of how they function for edc, emergencies, survival scenarios, and self-defense, and i prioritize them in that order. if i feel that the knife i want to carry is lacking in one or more of these areas, i usually carry multiples to make up for it.
How interesting! I specifically select knives for purposes, but I think that’s off the back of using them for particular tasks at work (like grafting vs chop and drop). At home my EDC knives get used for whatever comes up, but I specifically carry dragonflies IWB as they excel at day-to-day stuff along with whatever takes my fancy in my front pocket.
i guess i've chosen some designs for specific purposes...
i chose the resilience because i wanted a larger blade for when i needed to cut up my kids' food while we were out. the longer blade keeps food out of the pivot and the resilience always reminded me of a folding kitchen utility knife.

i chose the dragonfly salt because i worked in a place with a 2.5" blade restriction. i have zero reason to carry that knife now because i find it too small. if i want something small, i'll carry my hawkbill ladybug salt.

i chose the pacific salt se specifically to ride iwb for emergency use, marine use, working out, etc. it has led to me having a blade on me at times i never would have before and has proven to be a very useful knife. it completely changed the way i carry knives.

i also chose the magnacut mule as an outdoors fixed blade. it's a great little belt knife. i wish it had about two more inches of blade and it would be perfect.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:12 pm

i also chose the magnacut mule as an outdoors fixed blade. it's a great little belt knife. i wish it had about two more inches of blade and it would be perfect.
How funny - that’s exactly how I feel about the Magnacut mule. It would make a truly magnificent work knife if it was a couple of inches longer. I get by with it as it is, but I could really get behind something mule like with a kydex sheath in magnacut around the 6 inch mark.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely would have went with my thinnest ground knife for all that cardboard. Shaman works, but definitely not ideal when you have other options.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:17 am
Definitely would have went with my thinnest ground knife for all that cardboard. Shaman works, but definitely not ideal when you have other options.
your manbug would be a better option than the shaman.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

long blades > short blades for big cardboard cutting jobs. they let you stack layers, which makes the task go faster.
:unicorn
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:44 pm
long blades > short blades for big cardboard cutting jobs. they let you stack layers, which makes the task go faster.
Well what fun is that? Now I have to put my knife back in the pocket where it doesn't want to go and return to inside the house faster where the children wish to play. Or just say Dad 76 times.

I want to cut my cardboard into nicely made stacks of 3" x 3" and carefully and I mean carefully place them into my recycling bin.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:44 pm
Well what fun is that? Now I have to put my knife back in the pocket where it doesn't want to go and return to inside the house faster where the children wish to play. Or just say Dad 76 times.

I want to cut my cardboard into nicely made stacks of 3" x 3" and carefully and I mean carefully place them into my recycling bin.
Preach brother! 🙌🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I moved 10 years ago and afterwards I used my first Manix 2 (154CM) to cut down boxes, mostly because it was a work knife in my garage and I was using it specifically to cut boxes and so forth. It worked just fine but I suspect a thinner blade would work better. These days I use a dedicated box cutter to cut down boxes, the thin blade helps a lot. I've noticed that knives with short blades such as the Delica, or anything shorter than a Manix 2, can be a problem for me because the blade will slip out of the cardboard before I've gone all the way across. A box cutter doesn't do this even with its short blade because you push it into the cardboard all the way to the handle, the cutting edge goes all the way to the handle. No folding knife does that.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

bdblue wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:40 pm

A box cutter doesn't do this even with its short blade because you push it into the cardboard all the way to the handle, the cutting edge goes all the way to the handle. No folding knife does that.
The resilience and that family of knives, plus the Rockjumper, Caribbean and Leafjumpers all have cutting edge right up to the handle. I’m not saying they’d outperform a box cutter in a single layer of cardboard, but they’d walk all over it in four or more.
- Al

Dream knives -
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Don’t forget the lil temp
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:11 pm
bdblue wrote:

A box cutter doesn't do this even with its short blade because you push it into the cardboard all the way to the handle, the cutting edge goes all the way to the handle. No folding knife does that.
The resilience and that family of knives, plus the Rockjumper, Caribbean and Leafjumpers all have cutting edge right up to the handle. I’m not saying they’d outperform a box cutter in a single layer of cardboard, but they’d walk all over it in four or more.
Autonomy 2 quietly enters the room with a animated Amalgam and a somber Sliverax.

Even Vivi and Warstein should like the size of the first two. LOL
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kriezek wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:24 pm
JoviAl wrote:
bdblue wrote:

Autonomy 2 quietly enters the room with a animated Amalgam and a somber Sliverax.

😂
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I would love an Autonomy 2, but apparently they are considered around the same level of threat as an ICBM where I currently live 🤦🏼‍♂️
- Al

Dream knives -
vivi

Post by vivi »

kriezek wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:24 pm
JoviAl wrote:
bdblue wrote:

Problem is the amalgam has that choil where cardboard could get hung up.

It's a nice handle though. I checked one out last time I visited new graham.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To this day I can't get over how well the C-60 Ayoob model performs with virtually any cutting job. Even though it was basically designed as a self defense type blade that is only the tip of the iceberg.

I've yet to find a cutting job that the C-60 Ayoob can't handle. You might have to use the SE version on some jobs. But between the 2 edge types I am well equipped.

If there is one Spyderco model I had to choose for my main EDC from here on out it would be the C-60 Ayoob. With it being available in PE & SE both you literally have virtually all bases covered it seems. LONG LIVE THE SPYDERCO C-60 Ayoob model
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:10 am
To this day I can't get over how well the C-60 Ayoob model performs with virtually any cutting job. Even though it was basically designed as a self defense type blade that is only the tip of the iceberg.

I've yet to find a cutting job that the C-60 Ayoob can't handle. You might have to use the SE version on some jobs. But between the 2 edge types I am well equipped.

If there is one Spyderco model I had to choose for my main EDC from here on out it would be the C-60 Ayoob. With it being available in PE & SE both you literally have virtually all bases covered it seems. LONG LIVE THE SPYDERCO C-60 Ayoob model
Twist the blade man - I missed the sprint and am still gutted 🤦🏼‍♂️ I have a constant eye on the secondary market for an SE but it always seems to be PE that come up. Such, as they say, is life.
- Al

Dream knives -
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Twist the blade man - I missed the sprint and am still gutted 🤦🏼‍♂️ I have a constant eye on the secondary market for an SE but it always seems to be PE that come up. Such, as they say, is life.
I'm sure one SE version of the C-60 will pop up for you. I'm also looking for another SE version for a hard use SE blade. I don't care how beat up the handle is either. Because I really want one for hard use. I hate to abuse the only SE version I have at this time.

The Cruwear Ayoob Sprint is so unique in that the SE version seems to be far more sought after than the PE version. In recent memory I don't ever recall that being the case for any other Sprint Run or any other model for that matter. And that is highly unusual for most any other Spyderco Sprint Run. I'm just hoping at some point Spyderco will consider maybe doing just one more run of the C-60. Because the C-60 Ayoob sure has become one of the most sought after "Cult Classics" that I can ever remember.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:44 am
JoviAl wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:23 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I'm sure one SE version of the C-60 will pop up for you. I'm also looking for another SE version for a hard use SE blade. I don't care how beat up the handle is either. Because I really want one for hard use. I hate to abuse the only SE version I have at this time.

The Cruwear Ayoob Sprint is so unique in that the SE version seems to be far more sought after than the PE version. In recent memory I don't ever recall that being the case for any other Sprint Run or any other model for that matter. And that is highly unusual for most any other Spyderco Sprint Run. I'm just hoping at some point Spyderco will consider maybe doing just one more run of the C-60. Because the C-60 Ayoob sure has become one of the most sought after "Cult Classics" that I can ever remember.
If I come across any I’ll let you know 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -