New Knife Sharpening?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Steeltoez83

Re: New Knife Sharpening?

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Most of the time I put my own edges on new knives. Unless the knife itself is a custom, or Im evaluating the edges of others. I have only found 1 factory edge that has held up in comparison to my own freehanded edges. The only knife I have currently that still has a factory edge would be my flat spine k390 stretch. In which case I may compare that to my well used k390 delica but I havent decided what I want to do just yet. But for the most part I apply my own edges from the start.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

For somewhere around 100 years I have always put my own edge on any blade that crosses my path.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I really wish I was better at it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Rarely have I sharpened a new Spyderco. They come sharp almost always.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I usually use the factory edge for a while, as long as it's reasonably good. Sooner or later I reprofile to my own preference. Sometimes I will reprofile right away but that is not common for me except on knives that come with poor edges.

I like edges that are very thin so I inevitably reprofile just because manufacturers don't put edges like that on knives. Can't fault them for that, thin edges do have limitations.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

When I was excited about my new ability to reprofile blades it always seemed necessary.

These days, I'm disappointed when it actually IS necessary...I prefer to receive sharp, well ground blades that will be honed and shaped with use/time. Spydercos generally come sharp and slightly obtuse behind the edge, slowly lowering the shoulders as needed brings me the most joy and is a good indicator of which knives are getting carried and used with regularity.
So it goes.
katerynajohnson

Post by katerynajohnson »

I usually use Swiss knife. It's the sharpest as for me or I just get used to them :)