Steel seeks flesh - wood seeks bone

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
pyrolyzer

Steel seeks flesh - wood seeks bone

Post by pyrolyzer »

In MBC, Michael teaches the Philipino saying "steel seeks flesh - wood seeks bone." Meaning that an edged weapon's primary targets (for maximum effect) are soft fleshy parts of the body while an impact weapon's primary targets (for maximum effect) are hard bony parts of the body.

Michael then turns the saying around to show that to minimize damage, we reverse the targeting. Batons can strike large muscle groups and knives can be driven into hard bony body parts to minimize the damage. In teaching, he said something to the effect of: "when a blade meets bone, people really move around." Well, I really liked the idea of being able to move one attacker around . . . particularly if I need a shield against other attackers.

So, here's the question. If you want to minimize damage by using a blade against bone, where do you like to target? Here's my list:
  • The knuckles - long range target
  • The top surface of the ball joint of the shoulder
  • The outside surface of the ball joint of the hip
  • The scapula

These are big bony surfaces close to the surface without a lot of vital tissues (sensitive to cutting) over them. I'm sure that the skull and sternum would work, but I think it might be too easy to slip off of and get in a lethal cut without intending to do so (Unless that's part of the plan.)

Well, what do you think?

Thanks

Chuck
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

we fool around at work with cardboard tubes, whacking each other till they break and we wait for more the next day.

6' tube, 1.5" across with 1/4" walls. They break with a good solid contact but have yet to do more than bruise(usually just stings like a MOFO and takes about 5min to go away).

You'd be surprised the reaction you get when you contact hands and forearms. I can smack them in the back/shoulder/ribs and they keep swinging, but a shot at hands/forearms had them stop and it only stings. (My left forearm is still a little stiff from this morning from breaking a full one with a block.)

now subsitute the cardboard for something more solid like an ASP and you can guess the reaction. I break the tubes into 2 chunks of about 3' right off, since the 6' breaks unevenly if you block.

Had one cracked on my head on tuesday when I didn't duck fast enough, took a sec to get my bearings and I was going again. Cracked mine over his shoulderblade and he didn't stop till I smacked the back of his hand with the remains.

Wonderfully safe legit sparring(equal toys), with a quick safe reminder when you get hit.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Fighting with weapons can be extremely quirky. I've personally seen people who have been fatally stabbed continue to fight for as long as they were physically able, and then die.

VW, I agree that the hands/arms can be good strike points in the quest to stop an attacker from attacking.

Above all, though, it's important to realize one thing: no matter how badly an attacker is wounded, there's a good chance the attack will continue for a time.

Consider that even pistol bullets often take some time to stop an attacker, if at all.

On the other hand, sometimes people can be stopped with very small injuries. Every incident is different, so there are no definites.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Ray.Hood

ray.hood

Post by Ray.Hood »

Throat, knee-cap(s), eyes, nads, elbows, etc.
Ray Pettit
SGT, USA
NBC NCO
i.v

Post by i.v »

hi pyrolyzer
i think i can help you a bit, i have some experience in "making people stop attacking you".. comes with the job

for your questions:

"The knuckles - long range target" - quite useless in a fight since people use them as weapons on their own & if a person has some experience fighting he may not feel pain there.. i know i don't..

"The top surface of the ball joint of the shoulder" - very painfull, efficient.. one problem though, if you miss you can hit the neck kill the guy, also, in a stab from upward, a long enough blade can pierce the heart or lung.

"The outside surface of the ball joint of the hip" - if you don't want to kill the guy, stay away from the hips, there are large very large blood vessels there..

"The scapula" - a very strong bone, not to many nerves in the area, not too painfull... great risk of hitting the heart or lungs

the shoulder is best of the 4 i think, if you're very accurate

VW, that forearms are among the strongest bones in the human body & used in many martial arts to stop kicks & blows to the head & body, in an untraind person they are a little sensetive however, in a real fight adrenalin (did i spell that right? :p ) tends to dim pain. the hands, inside of forearms and elbows & very good for slices however as you can cut the.. umm.. forgive my english, don't know the word, strings connecting the muscles & joints & render the arm useless, it's also non lethal.
my knowledge of knife combat is very limited but in hand to hand combat, stopping an opponent can be done by targeting points that have an instant effect:
the center torso - i'm sure you all know the feeling of being hit there, you instantly become paralized, feel sick & unable to breathe
the liver (in the right side of the body) - same effect
the ears - causes lack of balance
eyes, nose, "nads" - you know :)
outside of hip - a powerfull blow there can cause a "wooden leg" the muscles stiffen & lock the leg straight, very very painfull & can linger for hours
lower back - just dreadfull..
neck - can be dangerous
thumbs - if you break or dislocate your opponent's thumbs you'll cripple his ability to fight in any way & probably really ruin his day

ray, the elbows & knee caps are so strong it's difficult to damage them, although a blow to the knee caps while the leg is straight is extremely painfull

all that said.. it's best to avoid a fight if you can, there's no shame in running or walking away, "those who fight & run away live to fight another day" - bs :) those who run, live!
fight only as the absolute last resort when your back is at the wall.
stay safe & try not to get into trouble :)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Might I recommend a pistol over a knife. But if you must stab bone go for the skull or sternum.