Military for edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Military for edc

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is an amazing knife. Size would be the only real reason not to carry one. I carry one quite often. You are in Colorado so you cannot "conceal" a knife over 3.5 inches legally unless you are involved in a "sporting" activity. You can also carry any knife you want on your property or in your car. In Colorado your car is an extension of your home. I have no idea what they mean by either sporting or concealed. It seems as though most people interpret it as a ban on knives over 3.5 inches for carry at all. I hunt, fish, hike and camp quite a bit. If you are doing any of those then carrying a Military should be fine. I have never been a conformist or much of a rule follower in general myself so I just carry it but I wanted to make sure that you know that you are taking a risk if you EDC a Military in Colorado. You get two chances to dispute the meaning of the words concealed and sporting. Once with the officer and once in court. Thankfully we live in a state and a country where you don't usually get your pockets searched unless you are asking for it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

I'll definitely add it to my list for the sfo sale. Do you know what is considered concealing a knife? I talked to someone at Sportsmans about it one day and he said that if the clip and part of the knife is exposed then it is not concealed. I'm not really worried about getting searched for a knife though haha
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nope, it is just vague enough that you would have to plead your case. It seems like most people interpret it to mean anything except for open carry in a sheath is concealed. If the clip showing counts or not is a question I cannot find an answer to and I do not think that there is one. It is gonna be up to the officer and/or the court in my opinion.

There should be a boat load of Militaries at the sale, there were last year.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cody_G93

Post by Cody_G93 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Nope, it is just vague enough that you would have to plead your case. It seems like most people interpret it to mean anything except for open carry in a sheath is concealed. If the clip showing counts or not is a question I cannot find an answer to and I do not think that there is one. It is gonna be up to the officer and/or the court in my opinion.

There should be a boat load of Militaries at the sale, there were last year.
Do you know what the prices were on them last year? Not sure if they would be the same or not. Hoping to have around 250 to spend and hopefully get a few knives.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Cody_G93 wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, anyone wish it was tip up carry?

Much better in my opinion, but overall is just an awesome knife.
swigert

Post by swigert »

If there was a good deep carry clip option I would carry one every day
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned and used several Spyderco C-36 Military models over the years>> I've had them as far back as the 440V era and have recently carried and used two of them. My most recent acquisition of a Sprint Military model was the M390 version I got about 3 months back. Before I got it had an XHP model that I liked but the M390 has suddenly become my main daily EDC. The M390 blade steel not only holds an edge great but the M390 blade steel has an edge that just bites into something like few knives I've ever owned in the past. It's going to take one helluva new folder to unseat my M390 Military model which I'm now deeply in love with :cool:

As far as my advice to get a C-36 Military model as an EDC?? >>> just shop around because there are a lot of great Sprint models of the Millie in many different great blade steels. The XHP is great but if you can snag a S90V, M390 or Cruwear model those would be the three at the top of my list. The only folder that would unseat my M390 Military at this time would be for Spyderco to do a Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob in M390 or some blade steel in that league before I would even consider retiring my current favorite Military model.

There is a reason that the C-36 Military model has been around for so long>> it's because the Military model is one of the most versatile that Spyderco ever came out with.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

If it is legal then it is perfect. Best folder Spyderco makes imho.
It is a bit larger than what is probably considered PC in many places, but if that isn't an issue for you then I'd grab one.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

swigert wrote:If there was a good deep carry clip option I would carry one every day
Steve Rice (STR on bladeforums) makes Titanium deep carry clips for it. I prefer it as is, but his clips are great and I have them for a few other Spydercos
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cody_G93 wrote:I'll definitely add it to my list for the sfo sale. Do you know what is considered concealing a knife? I talked to someone at Sportsmans about it one day and he said that if the clip and part of the knife is exposed then it is not concealed. I'm not really worried about getting searched for a knife though haha
It'll likely be up to the state/county and more importantly the officer you're dealing with and why he has cause to search you in the first place. In other words, if you behave yourself it may never matter.

But, interestingly enough some places that allow concealed carry will bust you for pocket clips and imprinting because it's not concealed enough, so it could be argued that a knife clipped in your pocket isn't concealed at all because the clip is showing, but again that'll depend on where you live and what got you in a one on one with the cop in the first place.
endgame

Post by endgame »

If you are not breaking the law you have no problem.
swigert

Post by swigert »

NoFair wrote:
swigert wrote:If there was a good deep carry clip option I would carry one every day
Steve Rice (STR on bladeforums) makes Titanium deep carry clips for it. I prefer it as is, but his clips are great and I have them for a few other Spydercos
Could you post some pics of the str clips on a military. I've always passed over Steve because of how confusing his website and ordering info is.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Pic here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st14676317

I have a STR clip, but that isn't a low rider, just a Ti one with basically the same shape as the original one.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I mentioned before that Steve Rice aka STR is no longer making clips. I bought his last two deep carry Military clips this summer and he said that was it. You can contact him if you want, but that is the situation.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Cody_G93 wrote:I'll definitely add it to my list for the sfo sale. Do you know what is considered concealing a knife? I talked to someone at Sportsmans about it one day and he said that if the clip and part of the knife is exposed then it is not concealed. I'm not really worried about getting searched for a knife though haha
It'll likely be up to the state/county and more importantly the officer you're dealing with and why he has cause to search you in the first place. In other words, if you behave yourself it may never matter.
Excellent point "Evil D" because I've been living here in Kansas City, Missouri USA for over 4 years now ( which is far longer than I originally intended to) and I've been carrying everything I want to carry and have even carried fixed blades on a few occasions>> with my job I frequently talk to Police, Firemen and other first responders and I've yet to even have the Police so much as even ask me to see what was in my pocket much less did they show any interest one way or the other as far as whether or not my folder is over the legal limit.

Here in KC we have so much street crime, prostitution and drug problems that the law enforcement guys and gals are so busy with the obvious troublemakers to attend to >> whereas an average citizen hardly ever gets scrutinized for hardly any reason. As long as you don't look like you just got out of prison ( tatoos, gang membership ect,.) or are part of the local drug culture they aren't going to bother you unless you're doing something really stupid>> they are so busy they just don't have time to bother the average citizen.

Now every juridiction is different for sure but most of the time if you don't cause trouble the authorities have bigger fish to fry.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

swigert wrote:Could you post some pics of the str clips on a military. I've always passed over Steve because of how confusing his website and ordering info is.
I have this clip from Gnoleb from Bladeforums
swigert

Post by swigert »

Filoso- wrote:
swigert wrote:Could you post some pics of the str clips on a military. I've always passed over Steve because of how confusing his website and ordering info is.
I have this clip from Gnoleb from Bladeforums
How does that fee in hand?
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

swigert wrote:How does that fee in hand?
not as good as the original( of course), but it's ok...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't have any folders with blades longer than 3.5" due to my own carry laws so I can't comment on the Military beyond what people have said about it.

That said, my go-to technique for comparing knives is going to google and typing something like: "spyderco military paramilitary 2" then going to Images. Popular knives like those two are frequently compared via picture and that speaks a thousand words.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:I don't have any folders with blades longer than 3.5" due to my own carry laws so I can't comment on the Military beyond what people have said about it.

That said, my go-to technique for comparing knives is going to google and typing something like: "spyderco military paramilitary 2" then going to Images. Popular knives like those two are frequently compared via picture and that speaks a thousand words.
Yep, good method. On that note, I think I'll start an official "comparison pics" thread in the photo section. If enough people contribute to that, especially members who own large numbers of knives and have the ability to make those comparisons, it could be a nice resource to have.

I gotta say though, with the Military, it wasn't enough enough for me to handle one to understand how great the model is, I had to take a chance and buy one and put it to use. Only then did I start loving it, because I still say the handle is way too dang long for the size blade it has. I'm really hoping the Military 2 gets this changed, or at least squeezes in another 1/2 inch of blade to fill the handle.