Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Post by Bolster »

The Most Interesting Man in the World was recently overheard to say:

"I don't always carry small knives, but when I do, I don't know which I prefer, the Dragonfly or the Lil' Native."

Given that the MIMITW is seldom indecisive, I thought perhaps the knowledgeable members of this forum could help him (and me) decide on one of these two options. If you own both, can you give us a summary of the strong and weak points of each?
Attachments
2aa007fe6cdaec18931277c4fcb9d24bed6e58982f5d88f023999a3ac942210e-131299461.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Tristan_david2001

Re: Dragonfly vs. Lil' Native

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It’s just preference honestly. Get what better suits your design preferences ideally based on a mix between what aesthetics you prefer and performance you’re looking to get from a spyderco folder in this size. An obvious thing to point out would be the lil native is a bit more stout and hand filling than the dragonfly, making the lil native a bit more of a comfortable knife in heavier use.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
cjk

Post by cjk »

I prefer the Lil Native to the dragonfly, but they don't get jealous, so you can have both.

for me, the lil Native is better.

The lil Native is available in a compression lock, mid back lock, or a slip joint. There's also a wharncliffe version. If I'm going to clip it, I''ll take the compression lock. If I'm going to carry it unclipped in my pocket, I'll take the mid back lock.

The serrated lil Natives cut better than the serrated Dragonflies. The dragonfly has grabbier, pointier points.

The lil Native has a thicker handle which is easier to grip. Also, the grip of the lil Native is natural while I find that I had to kinda figure out how to hold the dragonfly.

The compression lock lil Native has a wider variety of customization options.

The compression lock lil Native doesn't have a lanyard hole or any extra holes at all. It's a nice looking little thing.

The FRN dragonfly is certainly lighter. The dragonfly has a lot of points in its design (lots of points to poke yourself while reaching into your pocket) while the lil Native is rounder overall.

The compression lock lil Native reminds me of a baby Shaman while the mid back lock one is more of a lil Native.

IMHO, the SE lil Native is one of the better cutting SE knives that Spyderco makes, at least for my purposes. Probably not the best, but really really really good.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The obvious difference is heavy duty vs. lightweight and slicey. Backlock vs. Compression (though there is a BL lil native).

I grab the Dragonfly when I need an ultralight folding scalpel, Lil Native when I need a workhorse that's going to see a lot of use beyond opening packages during the day.

Dragonfly has the advantage of the Salt Models, this is a huge advantage. Huge. And it has the advantage of a Hawkbill model. Also huge for me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

There’s an upcoming lil Native lightweight with blade stock the same as a Dragonfly or Delica. Looking forward, I’d expect that turns into a Salt version eventually.

The Emerson opener Dragonfly is really cute. 🥰

Edit:
I’m pretty biased in that my most used knife lately is a serrated lil Native. I carry that and a larger PE knife (which is usually a Native 5, Endela, or Endura). I have been carrying and using an SE lil Native so much that I picked up a SE Salt Dragonfly at the most recent MAP sale in an effort to carry different serrated knives sometimes. I don’t dislike the Dragonfly, but I do much prefer the lil Native. I will probably round the points on the Dragonfly on purpose to make it cut better.
Last edited by cjk on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benben

Post by benben »

I own four Dragonfly's, couldn't tell you the last time I carried one? Years! I also have a Compression Lock Lil' Native, never carry it either. But both fantastic little knives. My go to small knife now is a K390 Lil' Temperance, carrying it right now.

But...a Back Lock G-10 Lil' Native with serrated Cru-wear, yeah I'd buy and carry that one!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Dragonfly is a beefed up Manbug, whereas the Lil Native is a shrunk Native ….

… so an enlarged lightweight keychain knife vs a miniature field knife.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dragonfly is the better knife. Anyone who says it’s a light cutter doesn’t have an H1 (or H2) SE Dfly. It’s not a Medford or Strider but is as robust as a 2 inch locking folder should be. The Wharncliffe isn’t beveled in top and is robust too
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well it’s no secret the Dfly Salt SE is my favorite knife but I do however like the Lil’ Native because of the ergos and can’t wait to try the lw version with the thinner blade stock and back lock…I’m fairly certain it’s headed down Salt Avenue eventually and then it may just butt heads with the GOAT 🤔
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:18 pm
Well it’s no secret the Dfly Salt SE is my favorite knife but I do however like the Lil’ Native because of the ergos and can’t wait to try the lw version with the thinner blade stock and back lock…I’m fairly certain it’s headed down Salt Avenue eventually and then it may just butt heads with the GOAT 🤔
You made me check, and it is listed as 2.5 mm so the same thickness as delica. I have bunch of natives but no lil native. This does make me want one.
toml4185

Post by toml4185 »

I have both. For me it comes down to whether or not there will be any kind of food prep needed and if so, I reach for the Dragonfly because it is much thinner and more slicey. The lil native is small and stout. Not the most slicey blade but very rugged and due to the compression lock (keep in mind that not all lil natives have compression lock), much easier for one handed operation. I'll sometimes take it fishing and use it to cut line etc.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the analysis so far.

Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW? Because I'm leaning in the direction of an FRN LW model of one or the other. In which case, the D'fly K390 FRN has 2.3" long blade, 2.5mm thick, 1.2 oz. The Lil' N LW will have a 2.4" blade, also 2.5mm thick, 1.5 oz.

This is the crux of my indecision. They seem similar; they even have almost the same amount of edge (1.9" and 2.0" respectively).
Attachments
C28F2K390_M.jpg
1040904-14287827.jpg
1040904-14287827.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:42 pm

Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW? Because I'm leaning in the direction of an FRN LW model of one or the other. In which case, the D'fly K390 FRN has 2.3" long blade, 2.5mm thick, 1.2 oz. The Lil' N LW will have a 2.4" blade, also 2.5mm thick, 1.5 oz. This is the crux of my indecision. They seem similar; they even have almost the same amount of edge (1.9" and 2.0" respectively).
I forgot one difference, hump or no hump. It is nice to get your thumb flat on the spine of the handle and blade.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:

Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW? Because I'm leaning in the direction of an FRN LW model of one or the other. In which case, the D'fly K390 FRN has 2.3" long blade, 2.5mm thick, 1.2 oz. The Lil' N LW will have a 2.4" blade, also 2.5mm thick, 1.5 oz.

This is the crux of my indecision. They seem similar; they even have almost the same amount of edge (1.9" and 2.0" respectively).

Bolster, I am in the same situation: Since the Lil Native LW was announced, the decision for which Mini-Spydie to grab has become a lot harder.

The G10 Lil Native actually has almost nothing I´d want in such a small folder, especially whan I can have either a Dfly or a Chaparral FRN instead.

The G10 Lil Native is more than 10 % heavier than a Chap FRN, the closed lengthes are pretty similar (Lil Native 3.47", Chap 3,6"), but the Chap is thinner and so probably a better carry, and the Chap offers a lot more cutting edge to work with (a good ten percent more - Chap 2.35" of edge, Lil Native 2.02") - and that in a thinner, slicier, but still more than strong enough blade

So when it comes to the G10 Lil Native, for me it would not be about that knife vs DFly, but vs Chaparral, and given my personal preferences the Chap FRN blows the G10 Lil Native out of the water, purely by their specs alone.

A bit different story with the Lil Native LW:

Weight closer to a Dfly and clearly lighter than a Chap FRN (while the G10 is actually HEAVIER as said), reasonable blade stock thickness same as the Dfly (but still thicker than a Chaps)

So THIS knife for me personally actually competes with a Dfly and has a lot going for it:
More cutting edge (2.04 vs 1.88), no hump in the spine (I guess I´d prefer that in such a small folder) and a handle that maximizes grip area and is a bit longer anyway.

Tough choice - but I guess I´d still go Dfly in the end, but mostly for the steel - and serrated option(s) it offers...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:00 pm
… so an enlarged lightweight keychain knife vs a miniature field knife.
I have both but prefer the miniature field knife. Grip is more comfortable to me, especially when I need to deliver real force to its thicker blade.

EDIT TO ADD: Moreover, I like having a slipjoint-alternative for restricted places.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 am
If you own both, can you give us a summary of the strong and weak points of each?

The D'fly is truly brilliant. The one-piece handle is the epitome of elegant functionality. It has The Hump. The Lil Native is a flatback. If I wanted a flatback, I'd buy a Buck folder. The only downside of the Dragonfly is the clip screws. They're an offensive abomination.

This size, however, is too big to be small, and too small to be the best tool for the job. I prefer to either go smaller with a Ladybug, or bigger with a Delica. But if you're dead set on one of the two, the Dragonfly would be my choice.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:35 pm
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:10 am

The D'fly is truly brilliant. The one-piece handle is the epitome of elegant functionality. It has The Hump. The Lil Native is a flatback. If I wanted a flatback, I'd buy a Buck folder. The only downside of the Dragonfly is the clip screws. They're an offensive abomination.

This size, however, is too big to be small, and too small to be the best tool for the job. I prefer to either go smaller with a Ladybug, or bigger with a Delica. But if you're dead set on one of the two, the Dragonfly would be my choice.

Just out of interest: How do YOU feel about the Chaparral FRN as an alternative especially to the G10 Lil Native?

As said in my last post: The Chap is only a bit longer when closed, but both ligher and thinner/slimmer, and/but if offers a lot more cutting edge (actually, going by Spyderos specs almost the same amount as a Native 5) in a thinner, slicier blade...and it has that subtle kind of "hump", like a Manix: Halfway between the "seki" humps and the "humpless" Natives- so perhaps best of both worlds, kind of?

So the Chap actually MEANS "going bigger" concerning blade and cutting edge, but not so (much) in carry.

To reiterate: To me it is like:
- "G10 Lil Native competes with the Chap" (and has no chance when it comes to my personal preferences)
- "Lil Native LW competes with the Dfly" (and this - again for me personally - is a close race, from all I can see, but without having really tried)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Bolster wrote:
Would there be less distinction between the FRN D'fly and the Lil' Native LW?
I think this would tighten up the choice due to the variety of steels offered on the Dfly. I prefer my comp lock Lil Natives to my Dfly's, not for the lock but just for ergos. The Dfly is a remarkably lightweight knife and an excellent design, but for me the ergos hit my hand weirdly and it's a struggle to open one handed especially in a hurry.

K390 Dfly vs BD1N Lil LW I think most people will say go k390. Im one of the weirdos that prefer stainless, don't chase edge retention above all, and don't mind a quick touch up at the end of the day. For me BD1N is a sweetheart steel that punches above its weight class. It's very stainless, takes a ridiculous edge with very little effort, but retains it's edge way longer than you'd expect.

In summary buy a Cat.

It's Spyderco's most underrated small knife. It does everything a g10 Lil Native will do at a fraction of the price. People will say the blade stock isnt thin enough or linerlocks are worst locks, but the Cat is a perfect knife at a perfect price.

Flash

Post by Flash »

Neither - I’d go for Chaparral.

It Crams in more cutting edge than both (only about 3 or 4mm less than the Native 5).
A fair bit thinner behind the edge than the lil native.

Arguably has better ergos than both and has a four-finger grip as oppose to the 3 ish of the dragonfly.

Made in Taichung so will have be subjected to Taichung QC meaning the fit and finish will be good as opposed to the dreaded Seki QC of the dragonfly.

It’s made better than the dragonfly so no dealing with mushy backspacers / liner pins if you need to take it apart.

The only thing it has zero fidget factor compared to the lil native - which is not an issue if you only use it to cut stuff.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Dragonfly is very delicate with a fine tip.
Lil Native is a little bulldozer.
Chaparral i had, very thin tip, cts-xhp is beautiful evil cutter.
IMG_20240427_114549_274.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.